Brent Grimes...I want us to get him.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, you know what I meant.

Also, you proved my point. He got $16 Million guaranteed in 2 years, and that is all he will ever see in Miami..

The way it REALLY works, is precisely this way:

In the NFL, the only money in ANY contract you will EVER SEE is the guaranteed money. "Teams" screw over players ALL THE TIME, every single year. Like clockwork.

P.S. I am a "Players Fan" first and foremost. I am just now trying to catch up with the rest of our team so I can have educated discussions on what holes we need to fill.

#PackersWinSuperBowl51 (I tell anybody that will listen that, lol)

Don't want to bother unless you confirm - are you really saying nobody gets base salary or incentives? If so, off to the cap/contract websites to show how it works.

Also, you're saying the teams violate the contracts? I don't see any other way the players can be screwed if they voluntarily sign those contracts.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The way it REALLY works, is precisely this way: In the NFL, the only money in ANY contract you will EVER SEE is the guaranteed money. "Teams" screw over players ALL THE TIME, every single year. Like clockwork.
Most of the money earned by players in the NFL is not guaranteed money. I think a more accurate way to characterize compensation in the NFL is players usually are assured to make the money in their contracts until it is cap friendly to waive them. Unless they continue to play well, then they'll either continue to get paid by the team they're on, or by another team.

So I also agree with Half Empty about players 'getting screwed over all the time': I don't believe that's true. Who on the Packers within the past few years got screwed by them? Certainly not players like Sherrod, Green, Thornton, Bradford, and Franklin for example, since they did or are in the process of under-performing their contracts. Sherrod, through no fault of his own, contributed almost nothing to the Packers but received more than $6M in compensation from the team.

Also, the NFL has a performance based compensation program that can really help the lower paid players in the league that play a lot. For example, Linsley “only” made $605K in bonus and salary in his rookie season (that didn’t screw a fifth round pick too badly, did it?). But because he played so much as a rookie he received a bonus under this program of about $339.5K. He also earned something like $68K in the playoffs bringing his total comp to a little more than $1M. Now, that’s not rich for life money but that’s not bad for a 23-24 year old kid. And he's very likely to receive more than all the money in his rookie contract and if he stays healthy, he could really cash in when he's due to become a UFA.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...ice-bonus-from-nfl-b99461597z1-296294331.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Awwww, c'mon :p We can disagree on that "you can be anything you want" bit, but you can't really think we'd ever move up 20 spots in the 1st round! Das loco.
Why not? We are only a few pieces of the puzzle to a Super Bowl victory right now, imo. If that is the case, why not make move like that in the draft is a better question?

Also, if Myles Jack is REALLY that good? What reason could you possibly have to justify NOT trading up to get him?

OP
OP
C

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most of the money earned by players in the NFL is not guaranteed money. I think a more accurate way to characterize compensation in the NFL is players usually are assured to make the money in their contracts until it is cap friendly to waive them. Unless they continue to play well, then they'll either continue to get paid by the team they're on, or by another team.

So I also agree with Half Empty about players 'getting screwed over all the time': I don't believe that's true. Who on the Packers within the past few years got screwed by them? Certainly not players like Sherrod, Green, Thornton, Bradford, and Franklin for example, since they did or are in the process of under-performing their contracts. Sherrod, through no fault of his own, contributed almost nothing to the Packers but received more than $6M in compensation from the team.

Also, the NFL has a performance based compensation program that can really help the lower paid players in the league that play a lot. For example, Linsley “only” made $605K in bonus and salary in his rookie season (that didn’t screw a fifth round pick too badly, did it?). But because he played so much as a rookie he received a bonus under this program of about $339.5K. He also earned something like $68K in the playoffs bringing his total comp to a little more than $1M. Now, that’s not rich for life money but that’s not bad for a 23-24 year old kid. And he's very likely to receive more than all the money in his rookie contract and if he stays healthy, he could really cash in when he's due to become a UFA.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...ice-bonus-from-nfl-b99461597z1-296294331.html
Maybe I am just hardened by the lunacy that has gone down in Miami since Dan Marino retired. But, the bottom line is that one of the best cover CB's in the NFL is about to become an UFA and can help us win a Super Bowl if we can get him somehow. He would have to take less to come here, I understand that, but he just might do that if he thinks he can get a RING. And I truly believe no matter what, the Packers are going to win the Super Bowl next year.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Miami Dolphins are so stupid (in every way imaginable...LOL) that they are about to let go of one of the best cover corners in the NFL as an unrestricted Free Agent. We need to get him. I am telling you all, Brent Grimes is good, REAL good. Let's do it.

Opinions?

He's a good player. We don't need him.

If we're going to spend money on free agents, there are certainly positions of greater need than the defensive backfield. Even if Ted did decide to spend money on the secondary, his best move would likely be to bring back Casey Hayward to play in the slot. Meanwhile, ILB, TE and the defensive line all remain as larger concerns.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why not? We are only a few pieces of the puzzle to a Super Bowl victory right now, imo. If that is the case, why not make move like that in the draft is a better question?

Also, if Myles Jack is REALLY that good? What reason could you possibly have to justify NOT trading up to get him?
My reason is, weird things happen. You fill one hole, someone else gets hurt, a player underperforms, someone fails a drug test, the ball slips out of your HOF qb's hands at the wrong time and the other team scores knocking you out of the playoffs. It takes a team, over and over and over, it takes a team. JJ Watt has been the best defender on the field for 2 years in a row now, and he's been a beast. Proof positive that one guy can't do it alone. So we move up 20 spots and for any of the million possible reasons, we fail to win a Superbowl, now we head into the next couple years with no draft picks, an aging roster, FA loses and a Stud player on an average at best team.

D

Deleted member 6794

Cornerback is way down the list of the Packers needs and with only $18 million in cap space there's absolutely no reason to spend several millions of it on Grimes.

The Packers would most likely have to give up their first and second round pick in this year's draft as well as another second rounder next season to move into the top 10. Won't happen.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would you want to deal with the baggage that comes along with him, AKA his wife? She's the reason the Dolphins let Grimes go.

OP
OP
C

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would you want to deal with the baggage that comes along with him, AKA his wife? She's the reason the Dolphins let Grimes go.
She just speaks the truth. Most people can not handle that, as I have seen so far this year (New Year's Resolution #1). Just being honest.

And, when has a player's wife EVER been a determining factor in his value to the team? I don't understand that logic.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thinking you're only a piece or two away and making a huge move can also go really badly.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OP
OP
C

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
She just speaks the truth. Most people can not handle that, as I have seen so far this year (New Year's Resolution #1). Just being honest.
This is from the link gonzoab posted. A writer covering the Jets Dolphins wrote, "In a tweet Sunday evening, Mrs. Grimes suggested the three reporters have *********** with Magic Johnson's ****** organ." Is that just speaking the truth? And how about this: "... before Miami's catastrophic loss to the Buffalo Bills. Grimes was arrested for resisting with violence and battery on a law enforcement officer a witness claimed that Grimes tried to cross a police barricade before getting tackled by a cop. Kuperstein also reported Grimes was "belligerent" and started screaming obscenities. She resisted arrest and head-butted an officer, which is likely what led to the charge of battery on a law enforcement officer. She also tried kicking an officer and started swinging her elbows as she resisted." More truth? Most of her tweets are too vile to be posted here, but if you'd like to read them: http://slicemiami.com/2015/12/27/miko-grimes-twitter-tirade-miami-dolphins/
Is that more truth? Or a vile, classless spouse of a pro athlete? If you want to use "the truth" as her defense, perhaps you shouldn't ignore the facts?

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is from the link gonzoab posted. A writer covering the Jets wrote, "In a tweet Sunday evening, Mrs. Grimes suggested the three reporters have *********** with Magic Johnson's ****** organ." Is that just speaking the truth? And how about this: "... before Miami's catastrophic loss to the Buffalo Bills. Grimes was arrested for resisting with violence and battery on a law enforcement officer a witness claimed that Grimes tried to cross a police barricade before getting tackled by a cop. Kuperstein also reported Grimes was "belligerent" and started screaming obscenities. She resisted arrest and head-butted an officer, which is likely what led to the charge of battery on a law enforcement officer. She also tried kicking an officer and started swinging her elbows as she resisted." More truth? Most of her tweets are too vile to be posted here, but if you'd like to read them: http://slicemiami.com/2015/12/27/miko-grimes-twitter-tirade-miami-dolphins/
Is that more truth? Or a vile, classless spouse of a pro athlete? If you want to use "the truth" as her defense, perhaps you shouldn't ignore the facts?

Think about the bold part for just ONE SECOND. The JESTS. lmao

C'mon man. She did say that. But, in her defense, all 3 of those idiots deserved it. They are awful, awful sports writers. All they do is bash her. I would fight back, too.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And, when has a player's wife EVER been a determining factor in his value to the team? I don't understand that logic.

Have no idea what's what. Do know that there are many ways to present the truth - one need not always use the most offensive way.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Think about the bold part for just ONE SECOND. The JESTS. lmao
That’s what you focus on? BTW my typing “Jets” was a mistake, it should have been “Dolphins”, so does that change your opinion? Of course not.
C'mon man. She did say that. But, in her defense, all 3 of those idiots deserved it. They are awful, awful sports writers. All they do is bash her. I would fight back, too.
That’s not all she tweeted, did you read the rest of it? And what about her behavior which led to her arrest? You’re apparently OK with that, too? How sad for you to defend a classless, entitled @ss under the guise of “truth”. :rolleyes:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Um.....no. But if we do I say we trade away AR because obviously we are ignoring logic.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rule #478 = NEVER trust a sports writer's opinion, under any circumstances or conditions. Ever. You're welcome. LOL

EDIT: That article should show you just how incompetent the Miami Dolphins organization TRULY is.
Especially when their opinions don't fit your narrative.

Sorry, you're going to have to do better than negative opinions of other organizations and sportswriters you probably know nothing about to convince me to bring in Grimes and the unwanted attention he'll surely bring with him.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts