Breaking Down The Pack : Receivers and Tight Ends

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
As we march on toward camp we look this week at the receiving corp:
The cream of the crop is Greg Jennings who I suspect is poised to have a huge year, his counter part Donald Driver while in his twilight years is a solid number 2.
It's after the 1/2 slot that things get a tad fuzzy.James Jones is in year 4 and needs to step up and stay consistent and healthy. Jordy Nelson who had a nice rookie year but kind of fell into a sophomore slump at times though to be fair he was pushed into special teams a lot and didn't get the same reps.One of these two has to establish them selves as the next number 2 guy this season.
The rest of the corp is ok at best. I thought Brett Swain showed flashes and Charles Dillon is a free agent to watch.
Jermichael Finley has the tools and physical talent to be a monster however he must keep his head screwed on straight. Kind of a toss up after that between Donald Lee and Andrew Quarless for a roster spot....Quarless has some skills but he better come in focused because I can't see Green Bay keeping two problem children at the TE spot.
Spencer Havner makes the team despite his off season shenanigans ..why you ask? He plays TE/LB/Special Teams and even some fullback in goal line...letting him go would be a rather stupid move and allows the pack to carry a player or two at positions they may not do so otherwise.
Next week we start on defense !

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Spencer "Duct Tape" Havner was one of the most overlooked players in the NFL last season. Even the Packer faithful had no clue who this guy was. It was only after injuries to Finley and Lee that we started to get a feel for who this guy was. He stepped up big time and made some crucial plays in the regular season plus wild card game. I want to see more out of this guy as he's entering the 4th year of his career. He has a lot of time to show how much potential he really has.

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I forsee Finley being in the top 5 for TE stats this year. I see Jennings, Driver and Jones having very similar stats with no real stand out of the group but solid numbers between all three.

In other words I see the Packers having an amazing offense in 2010.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's amazing that Spencer Havner caught more TD passes last season than Greg Jennings did. Did you all know that?

Our #4 WR is better than any other team's #4 WR. Now who is our #4? Is it Jones, or Nelson? I think they're both starter-worthy. The only reason they haven't blossomed with big stats is because Jennings and Driver have been remarkably durable for us, thankfully. There aren't enough consistent plays called for either Jordy or Jones of course. And now with the beast J-Mike emerging, it will still be hard to get the ball much for the #3 & #4 WR's.

But I feel confident that if Donald missed some time that Jones and Jordy would be able to fill his shoes pretty well, and like a Steve Breaston in Arizona the past few years, would produce.

Replacing Jennings though is a whole nutha story as defenses respect his speed. Jordy is probably faster than Jennings though, but defenses do not respect his speed to the degree that they do GJ85.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't agree. I see Jordy more as a possession receiver. Don't think he's that fast. Jennings is naturally fast, and quick (different things).

But I agree with the rest. They have to play like it, though. Too many times last year they didn't get open, and when they did, they dropped the pass. It cannot happen.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't agree. I see Jordy more as a possession receiver. Don't think he's that fast. Jennings is naturally fast, and quick (different things).

But I agree with the rest. They have to play like it, though. Too many times last year they didn't get open, and when they did, they dropped the pass. It cannot happen.

Nelson is faster than some may think. He ran a 4.51 in college but hurt his knee so he wasn't that fast in the combine. For comparison Jones was 4.6 at the combine. Jennings was 4.42 and Driver was 4.45. But my goodness, if Sam Shields can get his act together nobody is gonna touch him if he gets out in the open. He ran a 4.20!!

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy has great deep speed. He's big so he's not as quick as the littler guys. But make no mistake, he's a deep threat.
Aqib Talib didn't think so.... [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek0ANQ8bRfo]YouTube - Jordy Nelson destroys Aqib Talib[/ame]

This isn't deep speed here, but I think a cool fan-video from a perfect vantage point to see the LOS. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M5KrfeuuAo]YouTube - Packers Jordy Nelson Touchdown[/ame]

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nelson is faster than some may think. He ran a 4.51 in college but hurt his knee so he wasn't that fast in the combine. For comparison Jones was 4.6 at the combine. Jennings was 4.42 and Driver was 4.45. But my goodness, if Sam Shields can get his act together nobody is gonna touch him if he gets out in the open. He ran a 4.20!!

I would love for Sam Shields to be converted back to his WR role but unfortunately the coaches see him better fit as a CB. Not so bad considering he can cover a fast WR or a receiving back.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love for Sam Shields to be converted back to his WR role but unfortunately the coaches see him better fit as a CB. Not so bad considering he can cover a fast WR or a receiving back.
He just can't catch the ball. He can't even do it on kick returns, let alone catch a pass in traffic.

Terrible, terrible hands.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He just can't catch the ball. He can't even do it on kick returns, let alone catch a pass in traffic.

Terrible, terrible hands.

He wasn't such a bad receiver in Miami although I do admit I've heard reports saying that he frustrated his coaches with some passes. We have an outstanding receivers coach in Jimmy Robinson. If there ever was a guy you needed to coach up Shields to be at least a decent receiver, it would be Robinson.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Packers need some speed in the secondary especially when Harris returns. I think WR for Shields would be a waste if he makes the team they already have decent depth and good options there. Plus his incredible hands of stone. I doubt the guy will pick off many even if he became a full time starter later down the road.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers need some speed in the secondary especially when Harris returns. I think WR for Shields would be a waste if he makes the team they already have decent depth and good options there. Plus his incredible hands of stone. I doubt the guy will pick off many even if he became a full time starter later down the road.

I agree, we already have guys like James Jones, Jordy Nelson and Brett Swain fighting for playing time. There's no use in trying to get a 6th string receiver on the field. I think Shields will make a decent CB, not someone spectacular but someone we could use on certain downs. I'd rather have him play in a deep zone, safety type of role. With his speed, Shields' sideline to sideline range would be tremendous.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hoping that one of our RB's other then Jackson & Grant, can be better receiving options out of the backfield, that is such a nice safety valve and at times I don't think we ever have that, like a nice delayed route from the RB that could just catch & go, Jackson is better suited for it, but if we had a legitimate threat there, man I don't think our offense could be stopped...imagine Sproles there (allow me to dream CJ2K)

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hoping that one of our RB's other then Jackson & Grant, can be better receiving options out of the backfield, that is such a nice safety valve and at times I don't think we ever have that, like a nice delayed route from the RB that could just catch & go, Jackson is better suited for it, but if we had a legitimate threat there, man I don't think our offense could be stopped...imagine Sproles there (allow me to dream CJ2K)
Imagine a healthy Brian Westbrook there. He's available. He single-handedly beat the Vikings in the playoff game in Minnesota, in 2009.

I still think Brandon Jackson is pretty good at this, and has a lot of potential if he was utilized more. But we have so many options with the WRs and J-Mike, even Duct Tape Havner.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, I think Jordy is on the brink of exploding and surpassing Jones on the DT. I think he has a lot of talent and if the coaches find some plays for him he can be phenomenal. Plus, Jones is yet to prove he can stay healthy. I wouldn't be surprised if Swain got cut honestly. But I would like to see him on the field and if he is not see Quarless and Finley lining up in the slot for some packages.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think this is why we drafted James Starks. Supposedly he has good hands out of the backfield. He didn't participate in any receiving drills in minicamp but I'm looking forward to him doing some catching in the preseason.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this is why we drafted James Starks. Supposedly he has good hands out of the backfield. He didn't participate in any receiving drills in minicamp but I'm looking forward to him doing some catching in the preseason.

Starks is a steal in the 6th if he can stay healthy. He was a monster at Buffalo and is kind of a do it all guy. He'll get it done and I would like to see him get a nice chunk of the carries per game midway through the season. He is bruising and has the talent to become a good backup and even fill in for injuries in the starting role IMHO. I am really excited about Starks, actually. Especially now that the ever fragile Wynn won't be around. He is too much of a liability for a roster spot I have never seen a backup get hurt more.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Imagine a healthy Brian Westbrook there. He's available. He single-handedly beat the Vikings in the playoff game in Minnesota, in 2009.

I still think Brandon Jackson is pretty good at this, and has a lot of potential if he was utilized more. But we have so many options with the WRs and J-Mike, even Duct Tape Havner.
If you mean that the one lone offensive TD the Eagles scored was single handily beating the Vikings you would be correct. But take a look at his overall numbers for the game. 22 yards in the first half, 99 in the second half with 71 of that on one play. So Westbrook breaks one play for a TD and he single handily beat the Vikings. The 4 FG's and the INT for a TD had nothing to do with the victory.

I would put the victory more on Samuel's INT and TD than on Westbrook.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you mean that the one lone offensive TD the Eagles scored was single handily beating the Vikings you would be correct. But take a look at his overall numbers for the game. 22 yards in the first half, 99 in the second half with 71 of that on one play. So Westbrook breaks one play for a TD and he single handily beat the Vikings. The 4 FG's and the INT for a TD had nothing to do with the victory.

I would put the victory more on Samuel's INT and TD than on Westbrook.

I just think Westbrook is too much of a liability at this point in his career period whether or not his td helped or he could be a 3rddownback for the Packers. I would personally stick with who they have.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no right price for him because any price would be overpaying if it is any more than B Jackson's salary with his injury history.

Getting him healthy? Another story. I wonder why he hasn't signed yet though if it is not about the money. No team wants the risk maybe. I would try UFL haha.

pluto

Cheesehead
Reaction score
westbrook would be a waste of time, as pointed out he's never played a full season and he's old. it would be bad to sign him, he plays 3 games and gets hurt and the guy you cut to keep westbrook is playing for another team. look for gb to sign another back (if starks doesn't work out or there is an injury) after the final cuts.

Members online

Latest posts