BRAD JONES vs CLAY MATTHEWS III

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Brad Jones
Proday Numbers
Dates:
[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]03/09/09 [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Height:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]6027[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Weight:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]239+
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Bench: 19[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]40 Yrd Dash:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]4.54[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]20 Yrd Dash:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]2.56[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]10 Yrd Dash:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]1.59[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]225 Lb. Bench Reps:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]19[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Vertical Jump:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]33[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Broad Jump:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]09'11"[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]20 Yrd Shuttle:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]4.21[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]3-Cone Drill:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]6.75[/SIZE][/FONT]

NFL STATS:
STARTED GAMES: 7
Tackles: 33
Passes Deflected: 1
Sacks: 4
FF: 0

Clay Matthews III
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]ProDay Numbers
Dates:
[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]04/01/09 [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Height:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]6031[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Weight:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]250
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Bench: 23[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]40 Yrd Dash:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]4.58[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]20 Yrd Dash:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]2.68[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]10 Yrd Dash:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]1.58[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]225 Lb. Bench Reps:[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Vertical Jump:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]35[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Broad Jump:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]10'01" (COMBINE)[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]20 Yrd Shuttle:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]4.18 (COMBINE)[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]3-Cone Drill:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]6.90 (COMBINE)[/SIZE][/FONT]

NFL STATS:

STARTED GAMES: 13
Tackles: 51
Passes Deflected: 7
Sacks: 10
FF: 1

Just thought I would throw some stats to compare our 2 STARTING OLB's. I like what I saw out of Brad Jones, but I get the feeling that none of us fans our convinced yet, we all wanted a Sergio Kindle to be drafted this year, but that didn't happen...Can Brad Jones take what he has started and continue to produce for us? I think he can.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Brad Jones. Last year, when we drafted him, I loved the guy. I know many of our fans were surprised by him last year, but to be honest, I expected more sacks.

I think Mike & Ted expect more too, which is why they passed on the steal of Sergio Kindle, or Jerry Hughes whom I wanted more than anyone.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Jones definitely has what it takes to be a decent starter. I think he finished strong because once he got used to pro-level teams had very little tape or anything on him. As he improves though, I think we have 2 incredible OLB. Matthews is already considered elite by some and I think Jones will be a nice compliment to him in the coming years.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a great article FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Introducing SackSEER

Only Jerry Huges had better shurt shuttle and vertical leap times than Brad Jones. Brandon Graham had close short shuttle, but awful vertical leap. Kindle was awful in those, and is the reason he dropped so much.

It doesn't take into account the 3-cone drill, which I find imperative for the 3-4 OLB, because he has to play in space and cover. In which Jones was way better than 6.99 of Huges, and miles better than the other guys available.

I'm a big believer in him. But combine numbers are important to a certain degree. He still needs to have the mental makeup to develop more than one pass rushing move, to be able to correctly indentify the play, etc...

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He still needs to have the mental makeup to develop more than one pass rushing move, to be able to correctly indentify the play, etc...
It depends on his mind and his heart.
You know having Kevin Greene is as good as it gets for that position.
I wonder if Greene gets Poppinga to learn a move or two in order to take some of that firey intensity and good size to start getting to QBs.
Physically, I see Kevin Greene when I look at Poppinga. Well minus the hair.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It depends on his mind and his heart.
You know having Kevin Greene is as good as it gets for that position.
I wonder if Greene gets Poppinga to learn a move or two in order to take some of that firey intensity and good size to start getting to QBs.
Physically, I see Kevin Greene when I look at Poppinga. Well minus the hair.
While Poppinga had a 35 1/2 vertical, which indicates good leg strenght, his 4.39 short shuttle and an awful 7.29 3 cone drill indicates that he simply doesn't have the agility and burst to rush the passer effectively.

Which, despite being known primarily as a relentless pass rusher, rather than a finesse one, wasn't Greene's case. He had a great first step.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Poppinga had a 35 1/2 vertical, which indicates good leg strenght, his 4.39 short shuttle and an awful 7.29 3 cone drill indicates that he simply doesn't have the agility and burst to rush the passer effectively.

Which, despite being known primarily as a relentless pass rusher, rather than a finesse one, wasn't Greene's case. He had a great first step.

I think Poppinga's best use is on ST honestly. I just don't see him contributing much still. Hope I am wrong though.

pluto

Cheesehead
Reaction score
project jones numbers over a full season and he has 9 sacks and quite a few pressures or touches. my biggest concern is the depth after cm3 and mr.jones

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Brad Jones... On the bench. Fact is the he has excellent measure-ables but he doesnt have the talent and pass rushing skills to be all that effective. He couldnt get off his blocks in either game against the Cardinals. He could definitely be good in future like James Harrison when he can add weight and improve how he rushes the passer but until then I dont like him in the starting lineup.

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
project jones numbers over a full season and he has 9 sacks and quite a few pressures or touches. my biggest concern is the depth after cm3 and mr.jones

I agree 100%. I like both Matthews and Jones as the starters, but there is a huge dropoff after that.

Poppinga is barely adequate as an OLB and Obiozor is probably our next best option. I believe Thompson will try to trade for some depth during training camp - maybe a OL or a WR in order to fetch some depth at OLB (similar to the Moll for Martin trade that was made as the final cuts were being made).

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I didn't really get alot of info on Brad Jones to like the guy or not. I never bashed him but I thought we could draft someone better. After looking a little deeper and looking at some of his stats during the games he played VS Clay Matthews stats........it looks like he might have done better than Clay if he started the same amount of games. They both should be better after another year under their belt.

Members online

Latest posts