Blake Martinez

H

HardRightEdge

Is it just me seeing Martinez stepping up his game the last few weeks? It seems like his reads are better, run and pass, and he's attacking the line more. Feeling his mortality, contractually speaking? ;)

Or did somebody light a fire under his a*s? It seems he turned the corner right after he publicly whined about how hard it is to cover from ILB. Perhaps some choice "shut up and do your job" words were delivered.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it just me seeing Martinez stepping up his game the last few weeks? It seems like his reads are better, run and pass, and he's attacking the line more. Feeling his mortality, contractually speaking? ;)

Or did somebody light a fire under his a*s? It seems he turned the corner right after he publicly whined about how hard it is to cover from ILB. Perhaps some choice "shut up and do your job" words were delivered.

It's quite possible. I remember a play where he attacked the line and met the ball carrier in the hole. An action that I consider "standard" issue. If he could/would do that on a regular, I'd have far few complaints with him.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Make me worry a bit that he has been trying to avoid injury in a contract year and playing soft as a business decision.... until he realized that it was affecting his value....

D

Deleted member 6794

Make me worry a bit that he has been trying to avoid injury in a contract year and playing soft as a business decision.... until he realized that it was affecting his value....

If that's true the Packers should be worried about offering Martinez a long term contract as well.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Slightly less than I half expected, but the shorter years (I would have predicted 4) makes it more expected. Good for Blake and wish him well.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jim Nagy, former scout, current SR Bowl head, said the Giants basically swapped BJ Goodson for Martinez.

Said they're similar in impact, but Goodson better value.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jim Nagy, former scout, current SR Bowl head, said the Giants basically swapped BJ Goodson for Martinez.

Said they're similar in impact, but Goodson better value.

Yikes....sorry not a fan of us keeping Martinez but they are not interchangeable ILBs at all.

That said, I'm still thinking if Goodson doesn't get many offers he could be back in Green n Gold for roughly same as last year's contract ($720K I think last I looked).

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yikes....sorry not a fan of us keeping Martinez but they are not interchangeable ILBs at all.

That said, I'm still thinking if Goodson doesn't get many offers he could be back in Green n Gold for roughly same as last year's contract ($720K I think last I looked).

Not interchangeable players, similar impacts.

Basically, Blake is super limited and just not that great.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not interchangeable players, similar impacts.

Basically, Blake is super limited and just not that great.

Disagree. You don't give a guy $10M a year for a dude that has same impact as a guy that has never had a contract average more than $750K a year.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's be clear. Blake Martinez is a good tackler who is out of place in our scheme. Put him next to another ILB with range & coverage skills, and he can be really good. He is not a do-it-all linebacker which is his limitation, but in the right scheme he is worth the money.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't think Blake comes forward and makes the big tackle. Which is what an inside linebacker should do. Our new guy should be better at that. Still, getting Baun in the first round would not be bad.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL, if you truly believe their impacts are the same I got some land to sell you...and a boat....

I would love land and a boat!

Now, I hate to be the one to break this to you, but similar /=/ same. They aren't the same words.

You may disagree with me, but I feel you could get similar impact from Goodson as you could from Blake. Blake isn't good at any specific thing. Bad at taking on blocks. Bad at coverage. Slow. Doesn't make very many impact plays. He's generally a good tackler, but almost all of those tackles are 4+ yards down the field. That don't impress me much.

I'm not saying Goodson is really good, I'm just saying Blake is average, at best. The drop off between him and Goodson sure as hell ain't worth $9 million.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was going to say the same, similar impact doesn't mean same player. I do think their impact is similar, just done differently.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love land and a boat!

Now, I hate to be the one to break this to you, but similar /=/ same. They aren't the same words.

You may disagree with me, but I feel you could get similar impact from Goodson as you could from Blake. Blake isn't good at any specific thing. Bad at taking on blocks. Bad at coverage. Slow. Doesn't make very many impact plays. He's generally a good tackler, but almost all of those tackles are 4+ yards down the field. That don't impress me much.

I'm not saying Goodson is really good, I'm just saying Blake is average, at best. The drop off between him and Goodson sure as hell ain't worth $9 million.

That last line my brother, we 100% agree on!!

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
good riddance.....aj hawk jr off the team...that 10m contract is hard to believe. Blake got rag dolled against san fran and it cost the team dearly in those games. Slow, guesses wrong incessantly, good tackler. The pack needs a better player, period.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3 years $30m to Giants!

See ya. Bye.
Yeah from my standpoint he’s worth about half of that.

He made a LOT of tackles, but usually after the ball carrier was 4 or 5 yards past the LOS. The Giants can have him.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Summers doesn't present an upgrade over Martinez at this point.
Yeah, agreed. What are your thoughts on Kirksey? His numbers aren’t stunning, but maybe, like the Smith Bros, a change of venue will do him some good. I hope so, they need a lot of help at ILB. That said, it doesn’t seem to be a position Pettine values in his scheme. He admitted he’s all about stopping the pass. That really didn’t work out so well last year, not when Detroit is putting up over 100 yards a game and a 2nd or 3rd stringer like Mostert (Sp?) can decimate the team in the NFCCG. Anyway, interested in your take on the future of the ILB position.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
good riddance.....aj hawk jr off the team...that 10m contract is hard to believe. Blake got rag dolled against san fran and it cost the team dearly in those games. Slow, guesses wrong incessantly, good tackler. The pack needs a better player, period.
Good tackler. True and durable, but that’s about it. The NFL needs sideline-to-sideline ILBs in this game. We don’t have any, unless Kirksey thrives in a new environment.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a weird thing isn't it? I love his passion for the game, but, he does readily show his deficiencies. We've all witnessed them for years. However, I do think this was a bad night for not only Martinez, but many of our coaches. I did not see adjustments to problem areas, nor did I see planning that put our players in a better position.

To me, boy, Martinez looked completely gassed, and no wonder. Pettine has other players at his disposal. Rotate some fresh one's in, see how it goes. Can't get worse than where we were at with Martinez gassed through Q3-4. Might be surprised by some players hungry for an opportunity to make big plays.
Watching him play, with the enthusiasm and durability, it was hard not to like the guy. But when you look for the production, and match it up against other ILBs, he’s not there. To his credit, I think he gives all he has. That just isn’t enough for an otherwise SB-caliber team.

We’ll see what Kirksey brings. All he can do is surprise to the upside. Also, Pettine seems to run a 5-1-5 rather than a true 3-4-4. Pettine almost said he doesn’t care about the running game. That’s gotta change or he’s gotta go. But even if he changes his schemes, he needs the players. I think ILB is the weakest position group on the team, maybe tied with the DL group. Let’s see what else Gluten can give him. And no, I don’t want CMIII back, contrary to rumors that this is a possibility. In football, you can’t go home (mostly).

Members online

Latest posts