Blake Martinez

D

Deleted member 6794

I saw Goodson make some good plays. Not at all sure about his overall grade though. Maybe bring Burks in on passing downs. Burks definitely needs some more playing time. Especially when we have a lead. imho

FWIW PFF has currently graded Martinez at 64.5 and Goodson at 58.9.

Calvin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's just your perception, not a 'reality'. I've watched the same games and have a different opinion.

Pretty much most of websites and NFL media "experts" seem to share my opinion btw. Not saying that's right, but just that opinions are different from reality.
Again, watch the tape, this goes beyond opinions. Don't get me started on so called nfl experts, see the nfl draft reviewed after just one year. I'm not old but been watching gb since the magic man was at qb and our defence. Blake, I wish him the best as a fan. He's average at best , not above average against run, pass, block shedding, and pure instincts in regards to predicting the play pre snap. Where are the tackles for loss, force fumbles, interception, blowing up plays, nothing! All we get is 10 tackle games with no true highlights of him standing out.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, watch the tape, this goes beyond opinions. Don't get me started on so called nfl experts, see the nfl draft reviewed after just one year. I'm not old but been watching gb since the magic man was at qb and our defence. Blake, I wish him the best as a fan. He's average at best , not above average against run, pass, block shedding, and pure instincts in regards to predicting the play pre snap. Where are the tackles for loss, force fumbles, interception, blowing up plays, nothing! All we get is 10 tackle games with no true highlights of him standing out.
I agree completely he lacks contributions in those areas. No question. The guy cannot cover. He misses a lot. Doesn’t create turnovers, or leaves a lot to be desired.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FWIW PFF has currently graded Martinez at 64.5 and Goodson at 58.9.

In just as important news, I have Martinez graded as a 66.6 and Goodson as a 61.745

I can't tell you how I got to that grade, because it's proprietary, but trust me, it's accurate.

Reaction score
Where are the tackles for loss, force fumbles, interception, blowing up plays, nothing!
Untrue.
Blake has both a Sack and FF recorded this season. About the same as several other top LB’s.

Last season Martinez had double digit TFL (10) along with leading the league in Tackles over a 3 year span. Coincidentally his TFL last season was the exact same as Zach Brown, Justin Houston, ZaDarius Smith, etc..

The frustration of using Blake as a scapegoat for our D woes is largely unsubstantiated. The only thing you’ll see are those who cherry pick his worst film without including his good film. As a whole he’s a pretty solid LB. Less the club and add a nice complimentary LB who can drop into coverage and you’d likely see a very slight uptick 10-15 TFL range and a few less 130+ Tackles.

Send him repeatedly into into coverage (like today) and he’s going to get beat more often than not and have 5-10 TFL and 150+Tackles. Blake’s consistent, the way he’s being used is not.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Untrue.
Blake has both a Sack and FF recorded this season. About the same as several other top LB’s.

Last season Martinez had double digit TFL (10) along with leading the league in Tackles over a 3 year span. Coincidentally his TFL last season was the exact same as Zach Brown, Justin Houston, ZaDarius Smith, etc..

The frustration of using Blake as a scapegoat for our D woes is largely unsubstantiated. The only thing you’ll see are those who cherry pick his worst film without including his good film. As a whole he’s a pretty solid LB. Less the club and add a nice complimentary LB who can drop into coverage and you’d likely see a very slight uptick 10-15 TFL range and a few less 130+ Tackles.

Send him repeatedly into into coverage (like today) and he’s going to get beat more often than not and have 5-10 TFL and 150+Tackles. Blake’s consistent, the way he’s being used is not.
of course I disagree. I remember 2 plays last night that were any sort of positive and they came later in the game on a 2nd and 3rd. he actually came in with some pop and put a hit on when the RB tried to get the edge for a 4 yard gain. I thought it was less, but then the next 3rd down play someone slowed the runner down and he came in and added some pop to stop him right there 2 yards or so short of the first down.

But other than that, I remember a whole lot of thinking "quit standing around". there were at least 7-8 times where he's waiting for the runner to get to him and a safety comes up and makes the play from behind him. They sent him attacking on the left center guard gap and he looked like he half heartedly ran in, ran into the blocker and stopped. Had he ran in their with some authority he could have at least tried to disrupt the runner, who was right there, in the backfield. Instead it went for another big gain.

I'm not even going to mention is contributions in the passing game, it's not his strength. But at this point neither is the run game. I would love to see how far down field first contact is and the tackle for all these tackles he seems to get.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Untrue.

I do disagree with you a bit on this OldSchool101.

Blake has 1 sack and 1 FF, 3 TFL through EIGHT GAMES PLAYED. As many have alluded to, and I can only know from my own perspective, he is NOT passing the eye test. ZERO PDs. ZERO FRs. ZERO INTs. Every stat category listed here, they only get filled with hustle plays. I'm not seeing it. Great that he's recovering in time to jump in on some tackles, quite a lot of them actually. But, he is hurting this defense more than he is helping it.

Martinez is allowing a 108.9 passer rating, and a completion percentage of 89.7%. On 29 targets, he's allowed 26 completions, with 0 PDs. Average depth of his target is only 3.7 yds. It's not like receivers, whether they be TEs or RBs are running away from him - until AFTER the catch, where he has allowed 129 YAC this season. Only 2 QB Hurries, with ZERO QB Knock Downs.

Those are paltry, abysmal numbers for a starting ILB with as much talent around him as he's got, through half a season.

I don't dislike him, but I see he is not the right player there. Not only would I not pay him a big contract next season, I don't even want to see him on this team, unless he starts producing, like he did in 2017-18. With all the talent we have around him, his numbers ought to be through the roof. Instead, he's regressing steadily.

As for his getting to the QB last year for 5 sacks, 6 QB hits and 10 TFL, he was blitzed 61 times. This year he has only blitzed 13, through half a season. It is possible Pettine might be saving some of those packages for the playoffs.

Regardless, I wanna see the guy knock the ball out, make some stops at or behind the line... tip some passes... hustle plays.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The best thing that Martinez does is range across the field and make tackles when the DL keeps him clean. But last night revealed that against elite skill talent, he can't even really do that. The Chiefs, in fairness, are a super fast offense. But if that's what you're bringing to the table, but you can't do it against great team speed, then you're not bringing that much to the table.

I found it fitting that the Chiefs' Anthony Hitchens spent the evening getting absolutely destroyed by our running backs. A lot has been made out of tackle totals for Martinez. Hitchens was only 9 tackles behind Martinez last year. He remains a pretty lousy player, as we all saw. Volume tackles, it turns out, tell you basically nothing about a player.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone knows I'm critical of Blake, but love the young man. I'll say this much, while I do NOT believe he is worth the tag he will garner next year...if this year the worst aspect of our Defense is an ILB that is almost always right where the defensive plan is to have him, doesn't back down from contact (not saying he wins those contacts) and does in fact make the unspectacular plays...while being one of the top tacklers on the team I'LL TAKE IT. EVERYONE WITH HALF A BRAIN CELL SHOULD. Honestly, Blake will take it as well...for come next year some team is going to want him to come in and be that consistent, albeit not flashy playmaker, type cog in the middle. I wish him well, and pray we find at minimum another workhorse that can clog the middle and tackle like him...even if that means they cannot make the "big" plays and such.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Take the headset away. Give it to someone like Amos. That way Blake can be pulled for a better pass defender on 3rd and long.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone knows I'm critical of Blake, but love the young man. I'll say this much, while I do NOT believe he is worth the tag he will garner next year...if this year the worst aspect of our Defense is an ILB that is almost always right where the defensive plan is to have him, doesn't back down from contact (not saying he wins those contacts) and does in fact make the unspectacular plays...while being one of the top tacklers on the team I'LL TAKE IT. EVERYONE WITH HALF A BRAIN CELL SHOULD. Honestly, Blake will take it as well...for come next year some team is going to want him to come in and be that consistent, albeit not flashy playmaker, type cog in the middle. I wish him well, and pray we find at minimum another workhorse that can clog the middle and tackle like him...even if that means they cannot make the "big" plays and such.
I don't dislike him. he's ok. I think he's slipped a bit from his being solid give or take on any given play to slightly less than on a lot of plays this year, but he's ok.

if he won more of those contacts it would be different. Lots of guys can get blocked. But that one play last night bothers me still. he shot that gap half speed and was completely stone cold neutralized, back goes other way, they have it blocked up too and it goes for a big gain because they had sent him rather than hold him back to react.

Which is fine if that happens, because you can't just sit back and react to everything, BUT when you get sent, ****ING GO! disrupt that play in the back field, make an attempt to at least. Move the blocker, knock him back into the RB's way. make him change direction. make him hesitate, do something productive. Don't just run in there and become a nonfactor. Those are the plays you have to find a way to be a factor because they exposed that middle layer of the defense by sending you in the first place.

Maybe you miss, maybe nobody else comes help when you make him hesitate, maybe he just side steps his blocker you've disrupted and he blasts thru the hole you just came thru. that happens and if you would have caused some disruption to the play, I can live with it. I can' live with what looks like restrained effort and nothing when you were clearly sent to do something.

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Burks had zero snaps on D. isnt he the rangy pass defending LB. he got plenty of ST snaps...he must be healthy ....looks like he not the answer.....the search goes on.

D

Deleted member 6794

In just as important news, I have Martinez graded as a 66.6 and Goodson as a 61.745

I can't tell you how I got to that grade, because it's proprietary, but trust me, it's accurate.

Your beef with someone mentioning PFF is becoming annoying. In my opinion NFL teams using their metrics in different ways should be good enough for it to be mentioned on a forum. If you don't agree with it just ignoring it might be the way to handle it.

I'll say this much, while I do NOT believe he is worth the tag he will garner next year...if this year the worst aspect of our Defense is an ILB that is almost always right where the defensive plan is to have him, doesn't back down from contact (not saying he wins those contacts) and does in fact make the unspectacular plays...while being one of the top tacklers on the team I'LL TAKE IT. EVERYONE WITH HALF A BRAIN CELL SHOULD. Honestly, Blake will take it as well...for come next year some team is going to want him to come in and be that consistent, albeit not flashy playmaker, type cog in the middle. I wish him well, and pray we find at minimum another workhorse that can clog the middle and tackle like him...even if that means they cannot make the "big" plays and such.

Martinez is an average player but not good enough for the Packers to offer him a deal averaging several millions a year. With the team currently not having an upgrade over him on the roster the inside linebacker position definitely is reason for concern at this point and needs to be a point of emphasis next offseason.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your beef with someone mentioning PFF is becoming annoying. In my opinion NFL teams using their metrics in different ways should be good enough for it to be mentioned on a forum. If you don't agree with it just ignoring it might be the way to handle it.

Martinez is an average player but not good enough for the Packers to offer him a deal averaging several millions a year. With the team currently not having an upgrade over him on the roster the inside linebacker position definitely is reason for concern at this point and needs to be a point of emphasis next offseason.

Yup. Honestly, a cheaper older veteran can provide what he does IMO...and allow us to target it in draft at the same time. Something I don't ever want to reach for but we gotta get a ILB in the first 3 rounds this next year IMO.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yup. Honestly, a cheaper older veteran can provide what he does IMO...and allow us to target it in draft at the same time. Something I don't ever want to reach for but we gotta get a ILB in the first 3 rounds this next year IMO.

The Packers actually need two inside linebackers complementing each other moving forward. It doesn't matter how Gutekunst makes it work next offseason but it should be one of his primary points of emphasis.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I have no doubt that NFL teams purchase PFF. But actually use it? I have serious doubts.

Do you think teams would legitimately use their grades in substitute of their own? I don't. Their own coaching staff, assistants, scouts, they know what plays are going on. They know assignments. They're not going to use PFF grades.

I can see them using PFF to track data, such as alignment, personnel, etc. But NFL teams using PFF grades rather than their own internal grades? That supercedes logic.

People like PFF because it puts a specific number on an abstract thought. What was once, "I think so and so is just slightly above average" is now "so and so has a 61.34 grade". Now, nobody knows what that number means, but it's something specific to cite! There are some areas where PFF is fine. Others where it is very bad. They're notoriously awful with OL.

Anyways, I will continue to crack jokes at you using it. I will continue to ask you for video proof. Sorry, *****.

H

HardRightEdge

As a 3-down linebacker, Martinez is a jack of all trades and a master of none. I seriously doubt he'll command in free agency what some have speculated.

H

HardRightEdge

I have no doubt that NFL teams purchase PFF. But actually use it? I have serious doubts.

Do you think teams would legitimately use their grades in substitute of their own? I don't.
I think some teams use PFF in the way Mayock would describe the use Combine numbers when there is a disconnect. Is there something we missed? Let's go back and look at the tape again.

Reaction score
of course I disagree
His argument was that Martinez doesn’t have any impact plays. “Nothing” was his exact term.
My response to him was that he actually does have impact plays. Martinez has a Sack, a QB hit, a FF and 3 Tackles for loss. Not to mention he once again leads the league in a Tackles.
Now your certainly entitled to your opinion about him in some other general aspect. But his remark was specific. Your personal opinion can’t dissuade us from the facts listed in an NFL stat sheet to defend another false claim. Btw, Blake also has double digit tackles for a loss just last season.. that’s not consistent with someone who sits back and waits 4 yards downfield or is timid.

I would love for Blake to get better. Im also not arguing he doesn’t have room to improve in certain areas. But this notion he’s a lazy bum that I responded to is just absurd and a falsehood.

The mere fact they’d put him out there with a Club is a testimony in and of itself as to what the guys in the business think of his abilities.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Do you think teams would legitimately use their grades in substitute of their own? I don't. Their own coaching staff, assistants, scouts, they know what plays are going on. They know assignments. They're not going to use PFF grades.

I can see them using PFF to track data, such as alignment, personnel, etc. But NFL teams using PFF grades rather than their own internal grades? That supercedes logic.

People like PFF because it puts a specific number on an abstract thought. What was once, "I think so and so is just slightly above average" is now "so and so has a 61.34 grade". Now, nobody knows what that number means, but it's something specific to cite! There are some areas where PFF is fine. Others where it is very bad. They're notoriously awful with OL.

Anyways, I will continue to crack jokes at you using it. I will continue to ask you for video proof. Sorry, *****.

NFL teams definitely don't use PFF to grade their own players but benefit from the information provided about opponents or college teams.

I don't consider their grades to be accurate either but they're the only information available for free, therefore being allowed to be shared on this forum.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't dislike him. he's ok. I think he's slipped a bit from his being solid give or take on any given play to slightly less than on a lot of plays this year, but he's ok.

if he won more of those contacts it would be different. Lots of guys can get blocked. But that one play last night bothers me still. he shot that gap half speed and was completely stone cold neutralized, back goes other way, they have it blocked up too and it goes for a big gain because they had sent him rather than hold him back to react.

Which is fine if that happens, because you can't just sit back and react to everything, BUT when you get sent, ******* GO! disrupt that play in the back field, make an attempt to at least. Move the blocker, knock him back into the RB's way. make him change direction. make him hesitate, do something productive. Don't just run in there and become a nonfactor. Those are the plays you have to find a way to be a factor because they exposed that middle layer of the defense by sending you in the first place.

Maybe you miss, maybe nobody else comes help when you make him hesitate, maybe he just side steps his blocker you've disrupted and he blasts thru the hole you just came thru. that happens and if you would have caused some disruption to the play, I can live with it. I can' live with what looks like restrained effort and nothing when you were clearly sent to do something.
What amazes me, and kind of surprises me, is Martinez's stats have gone down this year in the hustle plays that make great ILBs great. FF, FR, TFL, sacks, PDs, INTs.... wow. How could they decrease with all the talent around him v. last season, and seasons prior? I feel EXACTLY the same way on him. I love the guy, but for God's sake, produce some game changing plays...

He's looking so bland, I'd love to see Summers switched in just to see what he would do. SD would be a perfect game to try that. See what you get. Why not?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I knew Martinez was struggling with coverage this season, but watch him on this play. WTF is he doing? He looks completely lost covering Casper the Ghost! Goodson is at least in front of a guy and thus blocking the passing lane to him.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be nervous if Summers were to play when he has to go get somebody in the flat w/o help. He did not look good doing it in pre-season. I do see him around the ball quickly on kick-offs.

Members online

Latest posts