Blake Martinez

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I highly doubt Pettine told Martinez not to attack the LOS and racking up tackles several yards downfield.

Stop, you know full well the intent my post. If you truly believe I thought Pettine instructed Blake in that manner I think this quarantine crap is getting to you.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just read the excerpts from his interview and I have to say, what little left of fandom I had for him is gone. Making excuses is not a good look, I suppose, they've already paid you, but I'd be looking to replace you already with that attitude. Shut up and get to work. Seriously, your job was to make Clark look "right" LOL He's the only reason you looked competent out there. Maybe they didn't have you attack the LOS more because you weren't all that good at it? Really Blake, I saw you do it sometimes and I saw guys run right around you and heaven forbid there be an actual blocker in the vicinity of your "attack" because i've never seen an ILB so easily neutralized or completely dominated as I saw come from you many times.

You weren't garbage, but your limits weren't because of your responsibilities. Much like you think YOU were there to make Clark look "right" when the reality was it worked the other way, Your responsibilities were likely derived from what you could handle physically. They weren't decided to limit you, your limits dictated your responsibilities. making excuses is never a good look.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
“For the most part, other than that, my coach last year, he basically was like ‘Oh yeah, you’re one of the best, if not the best, zone coverage linebackers I’ve ever been around’,” Martinez said.

Hmm.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
“For the most part, other than that, my coach last year, he basically was like ‘Oh yeah, you’re one of the best, if not the best, zone coverage linebackers I’ve ever been around’,” Martinez said.

Hmm.
I'd beg to differ. Maybe he got to a zone quickly but he never seemed to have any feel for who was coming thru his zone or when the ball was coming out.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I highly doubt Pettine told Martinez not to attack the LOS and racking up tackles several yards downfield.

The Packers have the 15th toughest schedule entering this season. I understand taking a look at opponents records from last season isn't a decent way to evaluate it but according to that metric they don't have a particular tough schedule.
That’s a good point. And it’s useless to look at last year’s strength of schedule to assess the upcoming year. Too many changes - FA, trades, the draft, coaching changes - to use last year’s schedule as a measure of what might happen this year.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That’s a good point. And it’s useless to look at last year’s strength of schedule to assess the upcoming year. Too many changes - FA, trades, the draft, coaching changes - to use last year’s schedule as a measure of what might happen this year.

A really good point - A year ago some would have looked at the Packers schedule and conclude San Francisco, coming off a 4-12 season, should be an easy W....The 12-4 Bears, on the other hand, might be trouble.

Things change fast in the NFL.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A really good point - A year ago some would have looked at the Packers schedule and conclude San Francisco, coming off a 4-12 season, should be an easy W....The 12-4 Bears, on the other hand, might be trouble.

Things change fast in the NFL.
Yeah and the NFL bases this year’s schedule off last year’s results. Your two examples point out the flaw in this approach. Then again, I don’t know how else they’d come up with this year’s schedule. Ah well, all teams face it over time, right or wrong.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hmm.

I mean, it's pretty obvious this isn't true at all.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean, it's pretty obvious this isn't true at all.
My response to Martinez would be, “Whatever.” I think that if Kirksey stays healthy, and with some draft help, the ILB group will have improved dramatically. Totally subjective, but I like Kirksey’s “can do” attitude. I have absolutely no regrets about Martinez leaving.

H

HardRightEdge

Martinez also said this, which maybe reflects some of the good and the bad about him:

"There wasn’t any gap responsibilities for me, it was just, ‘Hey, play off Kenny (Clark), play off Za’Darius (Smith), play off Preston (Smith), play off Dean (Lowry),’ play off these guys and basically make them right. They were able to do whatever they wanted to do and then I would go make the plays depending on that."

On the one hand I think it is fair that there's been more freelancing in the last two years than in Capers scheme, which was more buttondown assignment wise, with playmaking intended to come out disguises or just winning the assignment matchup. On the other hand, Martinez' responsibilities that came with playing more aggressively up front as is Pettine's stated approach is hardly unique. He's not the only ILB in this league who had this job.

Further, with the proliferation of zone blocking schemes, the offensive line and running back couldn't tell you with precision where the gap or cutback lane will be, so there's not much use in having a gap responsibility. Read and react is the order of he day.

You know, Martinez was a 100% snap guy, a hard worker on the field, little quit in his game. But he started being whiny this season ("coverge is hard" or something like that) and these comment are in the same mode.

I don't know what they told him they are going to run in New York, but I hope for his sake less responsibility comes with that $10 mil/year salary. :confused: I guess they told him they were going to play him with another bonafide ILB in the box on every down, not one of those lightweight hybrid guys. I'm not going to check the Giants roster because I don't care that much.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Martinez also said this, which maybe reflects some of the good and the bad about him:

"There wasn’t any gap responsibilities for me, it was just, ‘Hey, play off Kenny (Clark), play off Za’Darius (Smith), play off Preston (Smith), play off Dean (Lowry),’ play off these guys and basically make them right. They were able to do whatever they wanted to do and then I would go make the plays depending on that."

On the one hand I think it is fair that there's been more freelancing in the last two years than in Capers scheme, which was more buttondown assignment wise, with playmaking intended to come out disguises or just winning the assignment matchup. On the other hand, Martinez' responsibilities that came with playing more aggressively up front as is Pettine's stated approach is hardly unique. He's not the only ILB in this league who had this job.

Further, with the proliferation of zone blocking schemes, the offensive line and running back couldn't tell you with precision where the gap or cutback lane will be, so there's not much use in having a gap responsibility. Read and react is the order of he day.

You know, Martinez was a 100% snap guy, a hard worker on the field, little quit in his game. But he started being whiny this season ("coverge is hard" or something like that) and these comment are in the same mode.

I don't know what they told him they are going to run in New York, but I hope for his sake less responsibility comes with that $10 mil/year salary. :confused: I guess they told him they were going to play him with another bonafide ILB in the box on every down, not one of those lightweight hybrid guys. I'm not going to check the Giants roster because I don't care that much.
Kinda funny. Pay the guy $10 mil and ask him to do less. Well maybe a better way to look at it is to narrow his responsibilities. We know he knows how to tackle. He’ll likely be paired with Simmons. But a you say, it’s the Giants. Who cares?

H

HardRightEdge

Kinda funny. Pay the guy $10 mil and ask him to do less. Well maybe a better way to look at it is to narrow his responsibilities. We know he knows how to tackle. He’ll likely be paired with Simmons. But a you say, it’s the Giants. Who cares?
Oh, right, Simmons was mocked to the Giants pretty frequently before free agency. I have not noticed one way or the other since.

With most teams, you would think signing an ILB to a $10 mil/year contract would indicate they intend to apply their #4 pick elsewhere. If they go with Simmons, a certified beast, Martinez should buy him a Rolex or pay his Lambo lease or something.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, right, Simmons was mocked to the Giants pretty frequently before free agency. I have not noticed one way or the other since.

With most teams, you would think signing an ILB to a $10 mil/year contract would indicate they intend to apply their #4 pick elsewhere. If they go with Simmons, a certified beast, Martinez should buy him a Rolex or pay his Lambo lease or something.
Yeah Simmons to the Giants looks, right now, like the most likely outcome. But if the Giants braintrust thinks they have their beast in Martinez, they may trade the pick away. I don’t see it happening, but we’ve all been inside too long and, well at least in my case, may not be thinking too clearly.

D

Deleted member 6794

Stop, you know full well the intent my post. If you truly believe I thought Pettine instructed Blake in that manner I think this quarantine crap is getting to you.

Actually the intent of my post was to criticize Martinez for what he said in that interview. Considering your reply it seems you're the one that needs to relax a bit though.

Yeah and the NFL bases this year’s schedule off last year’s results.

Well, that's actually true for only two games per season.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually the intent of my post was to criticize Martinez for what he said in that interview. Considering your reply it seems you're the one that needs to relax a bit though.

Well, that's actually true for only two games per season.
I didn’t know that. How do they determine the schedule from year to year, outside the North where each team plays the other at their respective homes?

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn’t know that. How do they determine the schedule from year to year, outside the North where each team plays the other at their respective homes?

Rotating schedule. Each year, the NFC north plays:

6 games in division.

4 games against 1 other NFC division. All 4 teams.

4 games against 1 AFC division. All 4 teams.

2 games Against the finisher equivalent the other in conference divisions.

In 2020, looks like the north plays the NFC south, AFC South. Packers get 1st place against the NFC east and west, the Eagles and 49ers.

Next year it’ll rotate.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rotating schedule. Each year, the NFC north plays:

6 games in division.

4 games against 1 other NFC division. All 4 teams.

4 games against 1 AFC division. All 4 teams.

2 games Against the finisher equivalent the other in conference divisions.

In 2020, looks like the north plays the NFC south, AFC South. Packers get 1st place against the NFC east and west, the Eagles and 49ers.

Next year it’ll rotate.
Excellent, thank you! So we play the Eagles and Niners AGAIN next year!!!! Ah well, the Pack shall prevail!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Blake cut today from Giants to make room for a guy that might not even start at guard. Have to wonder if Blake's career isn't nearing the finish line?

That's interesting, thanks for the update. Well, Martinez was a one-trick pony - tackling. Nothing wrong with that but a lot of those tackles were well beyond the LOS.

Taking a look at the starting ILB group now, Campbell and Walker, Gluten has done an excellent job of changing what has been a defensive weakness into a strength.

Reaction score
That's interesting, thanks for the update. Well, Martinez was a one-trick pony - tackling. Nothing wrong with that but a lot of those tackles were well beyond the LOS.

Taking a look at the starting ILB group now, Campbell and Walker, Gluten has done an excellent job of changing what has been a defensive weakness into a strength.
Interesting It sounded mutual. In Blakes Defense he didnt just tackle, In his last 2 seasons with GB he had 20 TFL and his first year with the Giants added another 9 TFL, 3 Sacks, 2FF, 1 INT and 5 PD. That doesn't sound like a guy that can only tackle late. But it's easy to buy into that what I'd call largely a myth. Blake was an absolute steal on his rookie contract and the only reason he did not stay in GB was $$. Had he taken a more modest, 3 year X $18m range I believe we would be the ones releasing him.

He didn't get released for performance from NY. Blake got release because he had a very serious ACL injury early last regular season (think kylin Hill) and had not made it back yet. He was also slightly overpriced on that 2nd contract, but not outrageous either had he stayed healthy.

Blake probably would laugh at me, but I'd offer him league minimum with a couple nice performance incentives to come play ST here if he passes physicals. I liked Blake, he was one hell of an egg tossing champion and I'd let him know I'd buy all the eggs he wants while in GB

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Blake probably would laugh at me, but I'd offer him league minimum with a couple nice performance incentives to come play ST here if he passes physicals. I liked Blake, he was one hell of an egg tossing champion and I'd let him know I'd buy all the eggs he wants while in GB
IMHO, no! ST is already supplied with big, fast(er than Blake) LB's/TE's/Safeties so why trot-out a 28 yr. old, ACL-recovering MLB that has no chance to play meaningful good D snaps if needed? Better use of those ST-dedicated young players.

Reaction score
IMHO, no! ST is already supplied with big, fast(er than Blake) LB's/TE's/Safeties so why trot-out a 28 yr. old, ACL-recovering MLB that has no chance to play meaningful good D snaps if needed? Better use of those ST-dedicated young players.
It may not matter what you or I think anyway, his injury sounded substantial and as you said, its not like hes a 3rd year player here. Just consider the punishment he's taken on his body as a top 5 NFL leading tackler almost every season since birth. If I'm Blake I'm riding off into the sunset with my 19M guaranteed money. 686 tackles will put a toll on anyone

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting It sounded mutual. In Blakes Defense he didnt just tackle, In his last 2 seasons with GB he had 20 TFL and his first year with the Giants added another 9 TFL, 3 Sacks, 2FF, 1 INT and 5 PD. That doesn't sound like a guy that can only tackle late. But it's easy to buy into that what I'd call largely a myth. Blake was an absolute steal on his rookie contract and the only reason he did not stay in GB was $$. Had he taken a more modest, 3 year X $18m range I believe we would be the ones releasing him.

He didn't get released for performance from NY. Blake got release because he had a very serious ACL injury early last regular season (think kylin Hill) and had not made it back yet. He was also slightly overpriced on that 2nd contract, but not outrageous either had he stayed healthy.

Yeah sometimes if people read or hear something enough times they wind up believing and posting it themselves

Members online

Latest posts