Blake Martinez

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very first play out of the gate, 1 area to fill and he misses pretty badly. He at least got a hand on him, but a good LB'er attacks that and it'sa zero gain or loss. He barely took a step forward and then missed. There is one gap between Lowry closing from the defensive right and the mob on the left. A single lane between Lowry and Clark and instead of filling and crushing, he waits and misses.

around 2:45 mark, has back out of backfield, can't get there, can't make the tackle, 1st down

Very next play in that vid, he actually attacks behind the LOS and misses again despite an absolutely free clean shot.

5:50 nice hustle on the touchback play to prevent a TD and thankfully Carr fumbled.

10:40, completely blocked out of the play 7 yards downfield and another big gainer

Watch the goal line stand, he got absolutely blasted, wait for the slow mo and you see him coming out the left side of the pile completely neutralized.

does weave thru traffic and beat the block of a WR to help clean up a TFL near the end.

too many Raiders highlights that he's involved in and not enough GB ones IMO.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Martinez made a great hustle on the play he doesn't deserve a ton of credit for it as it was mainly a stupid mistake by Carr.

Without that hustle it would have been a TD and game might have gone in a different direction.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And no, moderators, a thread on all of our LB's is not the same as a thread on Blake Martinez. I'd appreciate if you could distinguish between the two.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's say the league sees what many do about Blake and no big contract is out there? At what figure per year (3 or 4 year deal) would you guys say, sure he is worth that?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is what I'm saying. He had 16 tackles, yet you could hardly tell he was on the field. I do not care about volume stats, I care about impact.
If you're an offensive lineman, it's usually a good sign when you're in visible on the field. But in a playmaker position on defense? 16 tackles and I can remember 1 of them on a pass from the entire game. that's not a good look.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's say the league sees what many do about Blake and no big contract is out there? At what figure per year (3 or 4 year deal) would you guys say, sure he is worth that?
I have no comment at this point. after the past 3 weeks, I'd be focused on finding his replacement more so than figuring out what we could sign him for.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Without that hustle it would have been a TD and game might have gone in a different direction.

Totally. Credit where due, Martinez plays hard. But he's a limited player and his limitations limit the ability of the defense as a whole.

Basically Martinez means that the DL must dominate. Because he forces them to go light at the second level to defend the pass, because he can't cover. So you end up with Martinez, who can't handle blockers and can't cover, and another player who can't handle blockers but maybe can cover.

So if the DL, specifically Clark and Lowry, dominate, then the defense can be successful. Because Blake can handle run down responsibilities OK if he's kept clean (obviously sometimes that's not even enough, as Jacobs showed us yesterday).

But if the DL can't eat all of the blocks, then they have to play someone like Goodson, because Martinez can't handle it. So then you end up with favorable matchups for the passing attack, because you have two second level players who can't cover.

If Martinez was just good at one thing or the other, this would be much easier.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I just wouldn't bring him back... I don't care.

Reaction score

He also was the main body of the goal line stand against the Lions last week. Regardless of outcome of a debatable call... it was a good D play by Martinez. He single handily forced the RB to shoot low which deflated the leverage and cause the RB to have to go ground parallel extend the ball early. If he had went low or been complacent and waited? at was an easy TD over the top.

The impressive part is he is on pace to break a historic league record (provided he doesn’t get a major injury) if he stays in the league and playing near the current level. If he cleans up a few missed tackles here and there (1-2 more tackles per contest) he could shatter a multiple decade record for the NFL top dog. When you consider the other names on that list, one wouldn’t dare question his ability. While it’s still early career and largely projection.. he’s still pacing ahead of any NFL Defensive player in Tackles for 3 consecutive seasons. Hardly something to apologize for. But I believe Luke Kuechly isn’t too far behind him.

He’s often in an island unto himself. He’s not good enough to play both Mike and Will at the same time. Very few LBs can do that and not suffer. Especially against good run blocking.
So while there are unarguably all these mini examples of inadequate play I’m seeing? his big picture is he’s a fantastic LB being asked to do too much. We need to isolate him into what he does best. That does not and should not encompass him covering Sideline to sideline both run and pass.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mini examples? I see that from him all the time. These past 3 weeks have been bad. if I had a full tape to go thru and post miniexamples you'd see almost all the run plays as an example. all blocking looks good against him, that's the problem.

That still doesn't help him, should have had a 2 yard loss if he was an actual playmaker

Reaction score
mini examples? I see that from him all the time. These past 3 weeks have been bad. if I had a full tape to go thru and post miniexamples you'd see almost all the run plays as an example
But just maybe you hit the nail in the head. Why did he regress some over the last 3 weeks? What’s been different there in the middle? A good player for 3 years generally doesn’t just go to hell in a couple games. Scheme? Adjacent player personnel? Is it possible opponents are seeing him on an island and exploiting it?

He’s 1 player in a D that had given up big chunks. You guys are using him as the scapegoat IMO. I’m not saying he’s not involved.. I’m saying lots of posters blaming him solely..maybe out of frustration of not understanding the big picture. A picture that involves at least 3-4 players and some schematic deficiency’s That’s just my opinion though.

Not long ago. A man wearing #12 had the exactly same scrutiny on O. He’s washed up, he’s digressed, he’s too old, he blah blah blah. Where did all these posters go yesterday??

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
No one "plays MIKE and WILL" at the same time. That comment is nonsensical. It's being brought up by Martinez apologists that don't know how to respond to the reality that he doesn't excel at basically anything. Critics of Martinez have never said he ought to somehow play both at once (again-- whatever that means).

I guess it's just easier to debate when you speak for both sides.

Calvin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He also was the main body of the goal line stand against the Lions last week. Regardless of outcome of a debatable call... it was a good D play by Martinez. He single handily forced the RB to shoot low which deflated the leverage and cause the RB to have to go ground parallel extend the ball early. If he had went low or been complacent and waited? at was an easy TD over the top.

The impressive part is he is on pace to break a historic league record (provided he doesn’t get a major injury) if he stays in the league and playing near the current level. If he cleans up a few missed tackles here and there (1-2 more tackles per contest) he could shatter a multiple decade record for the NFL top dog. When you consider the other names on that list, one wouldn’t dare question his ability. While it’s still early career and largely projection.. he’s still pacing ahead of any NFL Defensive player in Tackles for 3 consecutive seasons. Hardly something to apologize for.

He’s often in an island unto himself. He’s not good enough to play both Mike and Will at the same time. Very few LBs can do that and not suffer. Especially against good run blocking.

Showing a goal line play is not going to work. Show the 8 plays before that, leading to that spot on the field. Watch the film, when the ball is hiked on most plays he doesn't move. That is the biggest problem. It's a wait and see approach which allows teams to run all over GB.

When that ball is snapped , he should be at the line of scrimmage within a second on run plays, never happens outside of a goal line stance with him.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But just maybe you hit the nail in the head. Why did he regress some over the last 3 weeks? What’s been different there in the middle? A good player for 3 years generally doesn’t just go to hell in a couple games. Scheme? Adjacent player personnel? Is it possible opponents are seeing him on an island and exploiting it?
He’s 1 player in a D that had given up big chunks. You guys are using him as the scapegoat IMO. I’m not saying he’s not involved.. I’m saying lots of posters blaming him solely out of frustration. That’s just my opinion though.
I've never payed that much attention to just him in the past but started noticing it more this year and the past 3 have really payed attention. Some of those big chunks are him completely missing.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The impressive part is he is on pace to break a historic league record (provided he doesn’t get a major injury) if he stays in the league and playing near the current level. If he cleans up a few missed tackles here and there (1-2 more tackles per contest) he could shatter a multiple decade record for the NFL top dog. When you consider the other names on that list, one wouldn’t dare question his ability. While it’s still early career and largely projection.. he’s still pacing ahead of any NFL Defensive player in Tackles for 3 consecutive seasons. Hardly something to apologize for. But I believe Luke Kuechly isn’t too far behind him.

So while there are unarguably all these mini examples of inadequate play I’m seeing? his big picture is he’s a fantastic LB being asked to do too much. We need to isolate him into what he does best. That does not and should not encompass him covering Sideline to sideline both run and pass.

He's not playing the Mike and the Will at the same time. Just because he's often the only pure LB on the field doesn't mean he's playing all the positions there. His role is his role.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The problem isn’t his willingness to “hustle”.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
He was a nice draft pick there in round 4. I wish all our day 3 picks produced like him.

That is true. Martinez was a good value as a 4th round pick. But they can and should do better, and I really hope they don't commit a bunch of cap space to him.

Reaction score
He's not playing the Mike and the Will at the same time. Just because he's often the only pure LB on the field doesn't mean he's playing all the positions there. His role is his role.
That’s the exact argument I’m using but conversely. His role is his role. Who has he played next to? Inside LBs in a 3-4 should be paired appropriately with a compliment. Who is his complimentary LB?

When he’s paired with a better coverage guy.. Saftry etc.. the D performs far better. When he’s on an island the D suffers. I watched his film a few weeks ago against the Eagles. He was alone in the middle on the vast majority of snaps. We were playing a
4-1-6. Or a 5-1- 5. Five or Six in the box is a recipe for getting destroyed in the run and short passing game. That’s what happened.

It takes many games of dual ILBs to gel. It’s been an absolute revolving door in the middle where it should be a turnstile. Blake can’t operate 4 toll lanes simultaneously. If we started switching out OL like we do his ILB counterpart. It would be a disaster. Put Erick Kendrick’s next to him and they absolutely would be a wrecking crew within a matter of weeks (particularly if Kenny played next to a better DL). We’re using OLBs as DEs constantly. We need a true perimeter pass rusher so one Smith can hang back. While those guys perform well and get the accolades.. it’s opening up a huge hole in the middle. 1 man can’t defend all that space.

unfortunately other teams see what I see. They are exploiting it very effectively the last several weeks.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m jumping in late here. To me, Martinez is “just a guy”. Yeah he makes a ton of tackles but so what if their five yards from the LOS? Watching Dallas last night, it’s easy to see how important it is to have ILBs who can stop the run and cover. Tall order but guys are doing it. I was hoping they could have gotten Devin Bush this year but he went at 10 I think to Pittsburgh, where they’ve always valued ILB play.

Can’t complain much though with how Gluten and Pettine have improved this defense. They were playing too soft yesterday but stopped the Raiders when needed. Maybe next year they can get a real ILB to complement the Smiths. Clearly, to me, it’s the weakest group on D. But that’s hardly a complaint given the improvements elsewhere on D.

Latest posts