BJ Sander??

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey anyone here know how BJ Sander is doing so far in camp. I guess that camp will not be the test that will come when he steps foot in Lambeau, but I was just wondering if anyone knew what the expectations were for him this year.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I've heard, the coaches seem pleased with him so far. He's not hitting a lot of really long punts, but he has been consistent and he's done pretty well with the finesse punts near the goal line. Of course, as you suggest, it really doesn't matter until he sees some real game action. He was fine in camp last summer until the games started.

Reaction score
Oh boy, here we go again :-? According to the camp report on Tuesday, Sander had an excellent average of 52.6 yards with the wind, BUT in a simulated game, once again struggled. Apparently he shanked the first punt, and the second punt went for about 32 yards. Not what I was expecting or want to be hearing at this stage. This is getting riddiculous :soapbox:

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It sounds like he's been better than last year, but he still shanked one the other day and shanked another today according to Christls' log below.

I agree with Greg that it doesn't really matter until the games begin though. I think the coaching staff needs to see how he handles the game day pressure more than anything. But one other thing I question is how will he handle the bad weather? Even though he's had a better camp for the most part, it's been in pretty good weather for the most part. His leg strength sounds kind of mediocre which makes me wonder how he'll do in winter.

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/insider/ ... entry=9328

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerFan said:
It sounds like he's been better than last year, but he still shanked one the other day and shanked another today according to Christls' log below.

I agree with Greg that it doesn't really matter until the games begin though. I think the coaching staff needs to see how he handles the game day pressure more than anything. But one other thing I question is how will he handle the bad weather? Even though he's had a better camp for the most part, it's been in pretty good weather for the most part. His leg strength sounds kind of mediocre which makes me wonder how he'll do in winter.

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/insider/ ... entry=9328

If he can get some confidence and get consistent, I'm not worried about the weather factor. That's why Sherman wanted the guy, because he showed he can punt well in bad weather while playing for Ohio State. It's just a matter of him getting in the right mindset first, if he can do it.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agopackgo4 said:
SlickVision said:
agopackgo4 said:
Well I wish we had our number one draft pick back for him! :x

I thought he was a third round pick??

Nope we picked him with our first pick in the draft saddly enough... :hammer:

I still don't understand why people continue to whine about using a 3rd round pick. We wasted a 3rd round pick on many different players over the years. Heck, Wolf drafted Brent Conway (a kicker) in the 3rd round and he never saw anything more than preseason action. Wolf also drafted a punter, Josh Bidwell, in the 4th round a couple years later. We had to get a punter to fill in for Bidwell due to his cancer and then we waited for him to improve to be an average punter.

Get over it!!! It was a bad pick, but the only choice now is to give him every chance to succeed. If Sander can do well, then great. He's been the best holder for Longwell thusfar in camp anyway.

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agopackgo4 said:
SlickVision said:
agopackgo4 said:
Well I wish we had our number one draft pick back for him! :x

I thought he was a third round pick??

Nope we picked him with our first pick in the draft saddly enough... :hammer:

Ummmm....NO.

We picked Carroll, Thomas and Washington ahead of Sander. Sander wasn't even our first pick of the 3rd round. Washington was.

OP
OP
A

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ooops sorry abuot that. Well then I wish we had the third round pick back. I mean what the heck was wrong with Josh Bidwell???

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agopackgo4 said:
Ooops sorry abuot that. Well then I wish we had the third round pick back. I mean what the heck was wrong with Josh Bidwell???

If I'm not mistaken, he was an UFA and wanted too much $$$, much like Hentrich

OP
OP
A

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes but I still cant see drafting a punter in any draft in any round. I mean there are so many out there and some good kickers. Look at what we did last year after Sander didn't work out we went out and got a free agent and he did the job. Not the best but he did it. I just think it is a shame to waste a draft pick on a position that has pleanty of talent in the league.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
agopackgo4 said:

Well I believe the NFL prohibits players playing on two teams 8)

OP
OP
A

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No kidding. but we should have signed him or just got a different kicker rather than Sander. and at the time I thought that Sander would be good, but I still thought it was a terribile pick.

faninOz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't Bidwell accept less money to go to Tampa because he wanted to play in a warmer climate that would help his kicks? I seem to remember that being discussed on the old News Chronicle board, which gave rise to a lot of Sherman bashing if I remember it correctly. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I he signed for less money elsewhere than we offered him then his reasons for leaving weren't money related but other - the climate or management - he says climate and who am I to dispute that?

OP
OP
A

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe you are right. I know that he wanted to go to Tampa but I dont think I ever heard why. Good point. But still there are pleanty of kickers who are free agents who we could have picked up instead. Those were my thoughts even at the time when we drafted him and I thought he would be a great kicker.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sander may someday be a good punter, if not here in G.B. somewhere else. It took Sauerbraun years to be come a good punter. The Bear fans booed him out of town when he was with them as a rookie and for a few season after that.
Sander is not to blame for Sherman picking a punter in the
3rd round. Sherman is not the first coach to pick a punter up in 3rd round of the draft. Sherman would not have done so, if it is easy as some say to pick up a good FA punter . Last years punter was an excellent holder for Longwell but punting for net yardage was poor. And he was the best the Packers came up with last year. Don't worry if Sander is not consistant in Packer summer camp, they will look to their list of available punters to come in for tryouts.It has mentioned already by the Packers. Sanders leg is not medicore, it is not the strongest but acceptable. He would not have been kicking for high profile Ohio State if his leg was medicore. "His forte" is punting inside 20 year line, and did so in NFL Europe. Most of his problem is that he is pressing too hard . Hopefully, he can straighten himself out quickly, and become consistent before the Packers feel forced to find another punter. That probably will be decided on his performances in first two Pre season games. The Packers will give him every opportunity to win the job, but will not handed it to him!!

OP
OP
A

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree, why waste a draft pick when you can get somone out of free agency who is solid, and you already know what you are getting for him.

Staff online

Latest posts