Big spenders

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe the Packers have the highest winning % during that time whilst shelling out the 31st most guaranteed money.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's similarity-every one of them had horrific QBs.

Those teams weren't filling a few holes, they were throwing a few shovel-fulls of dirt into a canyon. You can't win without a QB.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see pats fans on Twitter freaking out that they aren't spending in free agency.
My best friend is a skins fan and thrilled they didn't sign anyone yesterday.

It's funny how each fan base looks at free agency

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am just curious what big spending, crappy teams have anything to do with a great team like the Packers, filling a few holes with reasonable free agents?

Oh wait, the answer is absolutely nothing...

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
giants went and got a rotational DE and play him full time for 18/yr i think. then the prize i wanted, the jets nt, got another 15 mil/yr. cb jenkins for another 10. plus they picked up jpp for 8.7...................
thats almost 52 mil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in 4 free agents. 1/3 the entire teams salary cap!!!! wow.

no coughlin to pull it all together...

this will be ugly. and im gonna love it. cry baby manning... lol i hope they suffer

D

Deleted member 6794

I believe the Packers have the highest winning % during that time whilst shelling out the 31st most guaranteed money.

The Packers (.653) are second in the league in winning percentage over the last 10 years behind the Patriots (.775).

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Careful.... If you don't have real proof, some here will correct you even if your off a few % points...

But main point is spending all that money doesn't guarantee wins

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I am just curious what big spending, crappy teams have anything to do with a great team like the Packers, filling a few holes with reasonable free agents?

Oh wait, the answer is absolutely nothing...

Not saying good reasonable spending shouldn't be done at all.. Im with you.

It was interesting stat I saw on Twitter... But it does show spending a butt load isn't a guarantee to win...

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not saying good reasonable spending shouldn't be done at all.. Im with you.

It was interesting stat I saw on Twitter... But it does show spending a butt load isn't a guarantee to win...
Right, and I am with you on that point all the way. I think most fans, even us who are vocal about our displeasure in lack of use of free agency, understand that yet a lot of people seem to think we dont

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right, and I am with you on that point all the way. I think most fans, even us who are vocal about our displeasure in lack of use of free agency, understand that yet a lot of people seem to think we dont

Well, when I read without AR TT probably would have been fired long ago, it really makes me start to question the thought process behind things.

FYI not saying you said that, just a general statement

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What would be really interesting is to see the FA / guaranteed money stats for the last ten teams to win the Super Bowl, and right after that see how those teams fare in the following years. We aren't realistically comparing ourselves against Miami, Cleveland, Jacksonville, and the other bottom feeders. We should compare ourselves to the Seahawks, Broncos, Patriots, etc.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Question is this..

Spend ton now and maybe win the SB then wait a lot of years to get back to playoffs?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I spend a lot of time around Poker players. There are those that consistently go all in and sure once in a great while, they win a tournament, but for the most part they are sitting and watching the rest of us play. Then there are players like TT, they sit back, let other guys bust out, slowly playing their best hands and building up their chip stacks. Now this kind of player doesn't always win, maybe even a bit boring to watch, but for the most part, they are sitting at the table at the end of the night with a legit shot at winning.

So I guess its for you as a fan to decide for yourself, do you like watching that flashy player who risks it all and occasionally wins it all or is it more entertaining to sit back and watch the slow methodical player who usually hangs in to the end? You may not like the way TT "plays" but don't expect him to change his strategy anytime soon.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I spend a lot of time around Poker players. There are those that consistently go all in and sure once in a great while, they win a tournament, but for the most part they are sitting and watching the rest of us play. Then there are players like TT, they sit back, let other guys bust out, slowly playing their best hands and building up their chip stacks. Now this kind of player doesn't always win, maybe even a bit boring to watch, but for the most part, they are sitting at the table at the end of the night with a legit shot at winning.

So I guess its for you as a fan to decide for yourself, do you like watching that flashy player who risks it all and occasionally wins it all or is it more entertaining to sit back and watch the slow methodical player who usually hangs in to the end? You may not like the way TT "plays" but don't expect him to change his strategy anytime soon.

No middle ground? Can we watch a player move in aggressively, but not all in? And, (personal choice, obviously) I don't consider that the Pack has been hanging in to the end since 2010 - they've left the table earlier than others.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
No middle ground? Can we watch a player move in aggressively, but not all in? And, (personal choice, obviously) I don't consider that the Pack has been hanging in to the end since 2010 - they've left the table earlier than others.

There's always middle ground between those 2 scenarios and I think most of us would prefer it. Was just trying to describe (to me) how I see TT in a poker playing scenario.

As far as winning it all and or hanging in, you kind of have to include 2010 to be fair, don't you? Seems like people will say "What has TT done since 2010?", which intentionally cuts out the significant accomplishment of a SB win. I won't rehash what has happened since, this forum has done that enough. Also, to some, nothing short of a SB win is enough.

Last edited:

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously, I'm in that latter group. However, I didn't think it unfair to look at the years SINCE the SB win because your description was of always (usually? often?) being in there until the end. Right after not being satisfied with anything but a Lombardi in those years where we're highly rated to do so comes being terribly dissatisfied with the kind of exits they've made in many of those years. Obviously, we all have different levels, but as long as the Pack is my team (and, truth be told, as long as everyone associated with the 'product' is making obscene money, even in 'failure' years) I will really hate to have to fall back on " 'til next year".

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts