Big contract purge

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Come Friday teams can start dumping big contracts that they no longer want to pay for with little to no penalty because of the CBA. There are whispers all over the league that teams will dump many big name under producing players. how does everyone feel about this? Should the packers dump any players? Ahhem Al Harris... Or should we go after some of these players?

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Donald Lee and Brady Poppinga for sure. Finley is top notch and Spencer Havner will be a solid number two.

Al Harris? You really want to get rid of Al Harris? Are you on crack? Harris is an f-ing beast.

+RAY+

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with the majority here.. KEEP AL HARRIS!!! He is freakin awesome. But Kampman doesnt like the 3-4 anyways, so let him go. and yeah, Lee & Poppinga would be good to trade off for someone who can produce (Like getting Darren Sharper back!!)

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with the majority here.. KEEP AL HARRIS!!! He is freakin awesome. But Kampman doesnt like the 3-4 anyways, so let him go. and yeah, Lee & Poppinga would be good to trade off for someone who can produce (Like getting Darren Sharper back!!)
While I disagree on Kampman, he's not under contract.

We're talking about players who are currently on contract and should be released friday.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2009 injury
2008 injury
2007 the reason we lost the nfc champ

He is 35 years old and is already overpaid. He is coming off of a very serious injury and its questionable if he will be ready for the start of the season. I dont know who you think Al Harris is, but i promise you he is not Darrell Green. He is not an option in his late 30s. He has already been a liability against any big WRs for a long time.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be surprised to see the packers let go of Lee. He is a quality backup. He should be around for another season

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2009 injury
2008 injury

He is 35 years old and is already overpaid. He is coming off of a very serious injury and its questionable if he will be ready for the start of the season. I dont know who you think Al Harris is, but i promise you he is not Darrell Green. He is not an option in his late 30s. He has already been a liability against any big WRs for a long time.

He did terribly against Burress because he was too short to match up against him in 2007. That year he was arguably a top 10 CB in the league. He has had two awful injuries but he is a monster who has the work ethic to come back. I think he can do it. Plus, when he was dominated by bigger WR's, he was a #1 corner. He is the best compliment corner in the league possibly. There is a reason Woodson matches up against the elite. Harris should stay in GB I think he has alot to offer on the field still and with the possibility of a pick CB he could offer good mentoring as well (Patrick Lee, anyone?).

Letting go of Harris is crazy. Williams is good, but has some time to grow. Best option is to keep Harris unless it truly looks like he cannot play anymore.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2009 injury
2008 injury

You're making a good point however I just don't see us letting Harris go. The pack have already paid him the majority of his salary so financially speaking it wouldn't hurt to keep him until his contract expires for cheap change.

On another note here's what I'd like to add to your post:
2009 injury, but did have 2 interceptions and some good playmaking ability and was also a force against the run which allowed us to be no. 2 against it

2008 injury, barely had any playmaking stats, but with him going down it allowed us to see the light in Tramon Williams

2007, reason we lost NFC championship, Seriously??? u wanna know the real reason we lost that game? just read my icon.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He did terribly against Burress because he was too short to match up against him in 2007. That year he was arguably a top 10 CB in the league. He has had two awful injuries but he is a monster who has the work ethic to come back. I think he can do it. Plus, when he was dominated by bigger WR's, he was a #1 corner. He is the best compliment corner in the league possibly. There is a reason Woodson matches up against the elite. Harris should stay in GB I think he has alot to offer on the field still and with the possibility of a pick CB he could offer good mentoring as well (Patrick Lee, anyone?).

Letting go of Harris is crazy. Williams is good, but has some time to grow. Best option is to keep Harris unless it truly looks like he cannot play anymore.

Top 10? says who? He graded out at 95th that year according to profootball focus. Thats a little low but shows he isnt top 10

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're making a good point however I just don't see us letting Harris go. The pack have already paid him the majority of his salary so financially speaking it wouldn't hurt to keep him until his contract expires for cheap change.

On another note here's what I'd like to add to your post:
2009 injury, but did have 2 interceptions and some good playmaking ability and was also a force against the run which allowed us to be no. 2 against it

2008 injury, barely had any playmaking stats, but with him going down it allowed us to see the light in Tramon Williams

2007, reason we lost NFC championship, Seriously??? u wanna know the real reason we lost that game? just read my icon.

Oh I hate Favre but I cannot reasonably blame anyone else besides harris. that game would have been over if it wasnt for harris long before overtime.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh I hate Favre but I cannot reasonably blame anyone else besides harris. that game would have been over if it wasnt for harris long before overtime.

The final score was 23-20. The defense did a nice job of keeping the giants to 23 points considering that they only scored 6 less points by a better patriots defense in the superbowl. I did expect however for Favre and the offense to be "explosive" as they have shown that season.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The final score was 23-20. The defense did a nice job of keeping the giants to 23 points considering that they only scored 6 less points by a better patriots defense in the superbowl. I did expect however for Favre and the offense to be "explosive" as they have shown that season.
The Defense did a nice job? In the playoffs they scored 24,21, and 23. so really it was about avg. Their Defense was the reason they won that year, so of course you dont expect the packers to score what they scored on Seattle.

Plax had a record day with 11 catches and 151 yards. It blows my mind you even dispute that it was anyone but Al's fault. Put aside your blind hatred for Favre and your blind love for Harris and look at the tape. Fine, favre threw a pass that clearly they miscommunicated on, but it shouldnt have ever been that close to begin with.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
Your smokin some grade A stuff man. You saying he's injury prone? The guy was competeing against Favre's Iron man record for a while up until 2008, where he got a SERIOUS injury, and then came back to play the second half of the season when any other player would be content with IR. The man has more heart than an entire team, and you want to cut him?

The reason he has "little" stats is because the quarterbacks are afraid of him, no joke. both 2007 2008 QB's threw to Woodson's side way more, giving him more opportunities to make the plays that we see on the TV. Harris and Wooson = #1 CB combo in the league.

Even if he is losing a step, remember who we have moving up in our dime package? Jarret Bush, you think he could cover plax any better? No, not even with a bullet in his foot.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Your smokin some grade A stuff man. You saying he's injury prone? The guy was competeing against Favre's Iron man record for a while up until 2008, where he got a SERIOUS injury, and then came back to play the second half of the season when any other player would be content with IR. The man has more heart than an entire team, and you want to cut him?

The reason he has "little" stats is because the quarterbacks are afraid of him, no joke. both 2007 2008 QB's threw to Woodson's side way more, giving him more opportunities to make the plays that we see on the TV. Harris and Wooson = #1 CB combo in the league.

Even if he is losing a step, remember who we have moving up in our dime package? Jarret Bush, you think he could cover plax any better? No, not even with a bullet in his foot.

Well said my man.....I agree 100% Releasing Harris would absolutely idiotic. Don't worry, it won't happen.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His record speaks for itself. Week 17 Al Harris will not be a starting corner. there is a reason favre picked on him week 4.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
2009 injury
2008 injury

2007 - Pro Bowl
2008 - Pro Bowl

One could make the argument that Charles Woodson got embarrassed by Larry Fitzgerald in the playoffs this year. Should we let Woodson go too? You want to release the guy because of one game against Plaxico Burress, even though he's been a pro bowler two out of the last three years?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2007 - Pro Bowl
2008 - Pro Bowl

One could make the argument that Charles Woodson got embarrassed by Larry Fitzgerald in the playoffs this year. Should we let Woodson go too? You want to release the guy because of one game against Plaxico Burress, even though he's been a pro bowler two out of the last three years?

Your so right about the Pro Bowls! how could I forget?!? Every player selected totally deserves to be there. Al Harris should be there every year! thats how everyone should judge talent, Pro bowls! lol.

You didnt watch the game did you? Just read the stats or something? cause I think woodson got caught on one play against AZ. Comparing Woodsons performance in AZ to Harris against NYG is insanity. The D got exposed, but as far as woodson himself he was only at fault on one play. I think you should go back watch the game. If you want I can mail you a copy of the game if you want.

Again, I want him released because I feel he is impending progress of the D. 2 years straight with a major injury and being 35, he is not going up hill. sorry. I am fine being in the minority on this one. I was in the minority when I said Kampman should be traded late sept. Against bigger receivers, Harris looks like Jarret Bush out there.

Im gonna dead this issue, I will wait for time to show that I was right him harris being a liability. Again, he wont be the starting corner week 17. And when that day comes I expect you to tell me I was right. If not I will tell you that you were right.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
Yeah there was a reason Favre picked on that SIDE of the field. our Safeties sucked, and we played dime package a lot.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I'm actually pro releasing Harris. He's old, he just suffered a severe injury, and I want to see him prove he's healthy before we pay him, like Tauscher had to this past year.

I also think we need to get younger at that position. If Harris doesn't come back from injury we're ******. No other way to put it. If we cut him, we can all agree we're moving on and take someone in the draft to replace him (see sig) and get the rebuilding started at that position. Cut Harris, take a corner, put Tramon in the starting role and the new rook in the nickel role. This is a pretty good year for corners. I don't want to miss out just because some old dude with a knee injury is taking up a roster spot.

And yes, I have no loyalty. My only loyalty is to winning, and I don't care who we have to cut to do it. I'd cut Driver or Rodgers tomorrow if I thought it would benefit us.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Your so right about the Pro Bowls! how could I forget?!? Every player selected totally deserves to be there. Al Harris should be there every year! thats how everyone should judge talent, Pro bowls! lol.

You didnt watch the game did you? Just read the stats or something? cause I think woodson got caught on one play against AZ. Comparing Woodsons performance in AZ to Harris against NYG is insanity. The D got exposed, but as far as woodson himself he was only at fault on one play. I think you should go back watch the game. If you want I can mail you a copy of the game if you want.

Again, I want him released because I feel he is impending progress of the D. 2 years straight with a major injury and being 35, he is not going up hill. sorry. I am fine being in the minority on this one. I was in the minority when I said Kampman should be traded late sept. Against bigger receivers, Harris looks like Jarret Bush out there.

Im gonna dead this issue, I will wait for time to show that I was right him harris being a liability. Again, he wont be the starting corner week 17. And when that day comes I expect you to tell me I was right. If not I will tell you that you were right.

Relaxe buddy. The touchdown that Fitzgerald scored early in the third quarter Woodson got manhandled on, and Fitzgerald's one handed touchdown pass at the end of third quarter, Woodson lost coverage in the end zone.

My point is not that Woodson is bad, or that we should get rid of him, but that you can't judge a guy on one game.

Are you saying that Harris didn't deserve to be in the Pro Bowl in 07 or 08? Were you watching the Packers in those seasons? I can use that argument too.

I guess I'm gonna dead this issue cause I'm right and you're wrong. Wait.....what the hell does that mean?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And yes, I have no loyalty. My only loyalty is to winning, and I don't care who we have to cut to do it. I'd cut Driver or Rodgers tomorrow if I thought it would benefit us.

Co-sign

Members online

Latest posts