Best/Worst of Week 17 VS Vikings

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't erase it. That's not what i'm trying to get at, but everyone has plays that look horrible. From the best to the worst. Rodgers made horrible passes in the past. Reggie White missed a few tackles and got caught inside a time or 2. Jordy Nelson dropped a dime or 2 wide open down the seam for a sure TD in huge games. Jaire Alexander lets St. Brown and N'Keal Harry toast him on long passes and then seals the comeback victory with an INT a couple weeks ago.

Guys can get beat and stay down, or they move with some fire and make a play.
Had someone else allowed the block and you saw Levitt get up off the ground and recover the ball like he did, I'd say most would call that excellent hustle and a huge play to prevent a potentially game tone setting play. So, while it doesn't negate the bad play, IMO, he made up for it.
He should do his first job first and not have to "fix" it. And every player in the league would get up and try to do what he could.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Leavitt did a nice job preventing a touchdown after the punt was blocked that doesn't make up for his mistake in the first place in my opinion.

I'm having a hard time blaming Leavitt on the play. I've been watching the replay and it looks like he was left with two men to block. The Vikes had a stunt called and two men came through. Leavitt took the inside rusher (which is pretty much always the right call) and the wider/second man won.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I've only watched the above a few times, so someone else could correct me. It looks like part of the stunt was a delay, which pulled the right guard (McDuffy) wide, creating a natural gap.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time blaming Leavitt on the play. I've been watching the replay and it looks like he was left with two men to block. The Vikes had a stunt called and two men came through. Leavitt took the inside rusher (which is pretty much always the right call) and the wider/second man won.

I've only watched the above a few times, so someone else could correct me. It looks like part of the stunt was a delay, which pulled the right guard (McDuffy) wide, creating a natural gap.
That block does not fall on Leavitt. He was trying to handle two guys at once. Quay Walker was forced to handle two guys to his right, so it became a hot mess fast. If anything, give kudos to the Vikings who developed a good scheme, and executed it well.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

But just like guys that think Lazard sucks when he doesn’t have five catches for hundred yards….they only see him on his back and judge away.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He should do his first job first and not have to "fix" it. And every player in the league would get up and try to do what he could.
I don't know, I see guys get knocked down and stay there all the time. He showed good hustle and determination to prevent that TD. I don't think every player in the league does that.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem is every playoff team will be watching that play
Rest assured, the coaching staff will identify the problem and make adjustments to the blocking schemes, to insure they can't overload us to create an inside gap. You need to close the middle and force outside attacks to take long routes, outside the blocking, so they can't get to the punter on time, and he's moved up in the blocking pocket.

Reaction score
The problem is every playoff team will be watching that play
Of course they will. However If we’re watching it? I’m going to guess Packers “Teams” is also. That play will likely be replayed in practice and assignments will change.

Imo, I think Dallin also got got a little flat footed and lost his leverage there in an attempt to back up and redirect. A small footing adjustment would’ve likely still avoided that block. It’s not just Dallin’s fault, but we need to call a spade a spade and just admit we weren’t in position and everyone needs to own that mess.

It’s really a blessing. Better it happened now in a game we dominated so we can get it addressed before The NFC Championship Win ;)

Last edited:

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pressure has been coming up the middle on punts all season. Special teams killed them in the playoffs at least twice. I do have faith in Bisaccia to get it fixed though.

D

Deleted member 6794

I actually didn't watch a replay at all but relied on other poster who blamed Leavitt to be correct. My bad. Taking a look at the film I agree he's not the one to blame for the blocked punt.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also didn't see a replay either until mradtkee66 posted it. I can't really blame a DB much for not holding strong in the face of 2 defenders with a head of steam.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I originally posted the vid from behind the LOS (page 1 of this thread) & it clearly shows rusher coming clean up the middle & Leavitt missing the block... but the later video clearly shows McDuffie allowing his man (#98) to blow-up the play clearing the lane for #44 to block the punt. My bad, it was McDuffie's whiff/pass-off-to-nobody that was the problem. Either 98 or 44 were going to block the punt, Leavitt did a good job trying to slow both. My apologies to Dallin.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The blocking scheme was faulty. It was obvious, looking at the stills, that the assignments were flawed. The blockers were overwhelmed by numbers.

D

Deleted member 6794

The blocking scheme was faulty. It was obvious, looking at the stills, that the assignments were flawed. The blockers were overwhelmed by numbers.

The Packers had seven blockers to take on the seven rushers by the Vikings. It seems McDuffie made the wrong decision on which one to block resulting in a free rusher up the middle.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers had seven blockers to take on the seven rushers by the Vikings. It seems McDuffie made the wrong decision on which one to block resulting in a free rusher up the middle.
2 punts blocked in one season? And if you count the one in January 2022 that makes 3 in 12 months. 2 resulted in costly TDs. This one resulted in the Vikings only 3 points until garbage time. Maybe that is an omen.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watch it again. #44 crossed over and created a mismatch in numbers on our right side. You can't go by what you see pre-snap.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watch it again. #44 crossed over and created a mismatch in numbers on our right side. You can't go by what you see pre-snap.
#98 lined-up on McDuffie's right shoulder, then cut across his face to his left after the snap. McDuffie should've stayed on #98 which would've plugged-up the hole that #44 blasted through. Because 98 crashed to his right unhindered is why 44 had his lane.

D

Deleted member 6794

2 punts blocked in one season? And if you count the one in January 2022 that makes 3 in 12 months. 2 resulted in costly TDs. This one resulted in the Vikings only 3 points until garbage time. Maybe that is an omen.

Taking a look at the blocked punt against the Jets it were Leavitt and McDuffie as well who ended up being responsible for allowing an unblocked rusher at O' Donnell.

I don't put too much stock into the one that happened against the Niners in the playoffs as Drayton isn't around anymore.

You're right, actually it seems that Deguara and Wilson being taken out of the play by only one rusher created the issue of leaving #44 unblocked in the middle.

Members online

Latest posts