Best Draft of the last decade...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty simple...for discussion reasons what class in your opinion was the best of the last decade (2010-2019)

For me there are a few that deserve consideration, but when you're done looking over them all 2016 bubbles to the top.

2016 - Kenny Clark, Jason Spriggs, Kyler Fackrell, Blake Martinez, Dean Lowry, Trevor Davis, Kyle Murphy

Outside of Spriggs the entire draft up until the final pick of Murphy are gonna be in the league and most likely for quite some time to boot. To Murphy's credit he is still holding on to the NFL dream with the Texan's practice squad...

This group has two bonafide starters on mostly any team in Clark and Martinez, the latter a franchise record holder in tackles for a season. Fackrell would start on more than he wouldn't and same could be argued with Lowry. Davis will find a spot in that #3-#5 WR spot while this side of 30 due to his abilities on special teams. If Spriggs would have been (still ridiculously small chance he does something...not with us though most likely) even half of what we'd all hoped this class would be the definition of an A+ in my opinion.

Last edited:

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty simple...for discussion reasons what class in your opinion was the best of the last decade (2010-2019)

For me there are a few that deserve consideration, but when you're done looking over them all 2016 bubbles to the top.

2016 - Kenny Clark, Jason Spriggs, Kyler Fackrell, Blake Martinez, Dean Lowry, Trevor Davis, Kyle Murphy

Outside of Spriggs the entire draft up until the final pick of Murphy are gonna be in the league and most likely for quite some time to boot. To Murphy's credit he is still holding on to the NFL dream with the Texan's practice squad...

This group has two bonafide starters on mostly any team in Clark and Martinez, the latter a franchise record holder in tackles for a season. Fackrell would start on more than he wouldn't and same could be argued with Lowry. Davis will find a spot in that #3-#5 WR spot while this side of 30 due to his abilities on special teams. If Spriggs would have been (still ridiculously small chance he does something...not with us though most likely) even half of what we'd all hoped this class would be the definition of an A+ in my opinion.

Even Murphy was okay. He started a few games for us at tackle and honestly looked better than Spriggs at times. As a 7th rounder, we got value from him until he got hurt.

D

Deleted member 6794

While Martinez has improved as of late he shouldn't be considered a bonafide starter. I highly doubt Fackrell would start on most teams. In addition giving up three picks to acquire Spriggs was a terrible move.

In my opinion the 2010 draft was the best of the century with the jury still out on the 2018 and '19 class.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Martinez has improved as of late he shouldn't be considered a bonafide starter. I highly doubt Fackrell would start on most teams. In addition giving up three picks to acquire Spriggs was a terrible move.

In my opinion the 2010 draft was the best of the century with the jury still out on the 2018 and '19 class.

You like Bulaga that much?

D

Deleted member 6794

Bulaga was definitely a great pick by Thompson. In addition Burnett was a pretty good player during his time with the Packers as well. James Starks significantly contributed to the team winning the Super Bowl in 2010. Newhouse, while struggling at times, has been a starter for a long time in this league.

In addition every player of that draft class played at least 60 games in the NFL, that's by far the best number in Packers history since the NFL shortened the draft to seven rounds in 1993.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How do you NOT like Bulaga that much? He's started 111 games in 9 years as a Packer (12.33/yr. avg.) and been a damn good RT. Averaged 5 penalties/year between holding and false starts. Tauscher was starter for previous 11 seasons, averaged 12 games/season and averaged 2.5 penalties/yr.

In addition to a great QB tandem over the last 25 years we've had a great RT tandem over the last 20, IMHO.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There isn't really a banner draft class in the decade to take the cake. I agree that the best is 2010, at least so far. Bulaga has been a top 2-3 player at his position and might see a 3rd contract. Burnett was a good, two contract player. Starks was a big contributor in the Super Bowl.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously this is subjective, but I tried to quantify numbers. Three quality players in each the 2013 and 2016 drafts, but Lacy and Hyde for their own reasons didn't get to play for the Packers very long.

Going against the grain, I'm going to call the 2014 draft the best. We got our #1 receiver and a stalwart at center in Linsley. One could argue that it was for lack of better talent, but we got our starting safety and tight end out of that draft. Rodgers will be remembered for his soft hands like Bubba Franks, but also his inability to get yards after the catch. Dix was a little too much like Terelle Buckley - taking chances and missing tackles but he did add much-needed stability there for many years. I added in Goodson as a special teamer.

One thing is for sure. There is no standout class, just a good discussion to be had.

- 2 Quality Players: Brian Bulaga, Morgan Burnett
- 3 Average Players: James Starks, Andrew Quarless, Marshall Newhouse

- 1 Quality Players: Mike Daniels
- 2 Average Players: Nick Perry, Casey Hayward

- 3 Quality Players: David Bakhtiari, Eddie Lacy (for 2 years), Micah Hyde
- 2 Average Players: JC Tretter, Charles Johnson

- 2 Quality Players: Davante Adams, Corey Linsley
- 2 Average Players: Richard Rodgers, Ha Ha Clinton Dix
- 1 Also Ran: Demetri Goodson

- 3 Quality Players: Kenny Clark, Blake Martinez, Dean Lowry
- 1 Average Players: Kyler Fackrell

- 2 Quality Players: Jaire Alexander, JK Scott
- 3 Average Players: Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Equanimeous St Brown, Hunter Bradley

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How do you NOT like Bulaga that much? He's started 111 games in 9 years as a Packer (12.33/yr. avg.) and been a damn good RT. Averaged 5 penalties/year between holding and false starts. Tauscher was starter for previous 11 seasons, averaged 12 games/season and averaged 2.5 penalties/yr.

In addition to a great QB tandem over the last 25 years we've had a great RT tandem over the last 20, IMHO.

Don't get me wrong, but the 2010 draft class is not the best of the CENTURY regardless of how I feel about Bulaga.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bulaga was definitely a great pick by Thompson. In addition Burnett was a pretty good player during his time with the Packers as well. James Starks significantly contributed to the team winning the Super Bowl in 2010. Newhouse, while struggling at times, has been a starter for a long time in this league.

In addition every player of that draft class played at least 60 games in the NFL, that's by far the best number in Packers history since the NFL shortened the draft to seven rounds in 1993.

Sorry but for once I strongly disagree...well I disagree enough to say I cannot accept your claim it is as clear as you claim.

VS

2010 - Bryan Bulaga, Mike Neal, Morgan Burnett, Andrew Quarless, Marshall Newhouse, James Starks, C.J. Wilson

The only thing I'll say 2010 has on 2016 is the streamline approach of success from top to bottom flowing is better. However, you downplay Fackrell and Martinez and Lowry vastly too much and sorry but Starks is no more valuable IMO than someone like Jamaal Williams, just happened to be there and I'm a Starks fan don't get me wrong.

2016 arguably has our best hands on the ground DL drafted maybe in the last two decades...easily our 2nd IMO but 3rd worst case ILB drafted in the past two decades and 3 others that literally have seen consistent playing time on their respective teams and will continue to be contributors (not just bottom of roster fillers) for years to come.

I will concede in review of all of the drafts...2010 was my clear 2nd place finisher however atm.

D

Deleted member 6794

Sorry but for once I strongly disagree...well I disagree enough to say I cannot accept your claim it is as clear as you claim.

VS

2010 - Bryan Bulaga, Mike Neal, Morgan Burnett, Andrew Quarless, Marshall Newhouse, James Starks, C.J. Wilson

The only thing I'll say 2010 has on 2016 is the streamline approach of success from top to bottom flowing is better. However, you downplay Fackrell and Martinez and Lowry vastly too much and sorry but Starks is no more valuable IMO than someone like Jamaal Williams, just happened to be there and I'm a Starks fan don't get me wrong.

2016 arguably has our best hands on the ground DL drafted maybe in the last two decades...easily our 2nd IMO but 3rd worst case ILB drafted in the past two decades and 3 others that literally have seen consistent playing time on their respective teams and will continue to be contributors (not just bottom of roster fillers) for years to come.

Thompson definitely hit a home run drafting Clark in 2016. Other than that the draft didn't produce any impact players for the team though. Fackrell lucked into a double digit sack season in 2018 and while Martinez is one of the best inside linebackers the Packers have drafted in recent history that's mostly because of the Packers having lacked talent at the position for too long. Lowry is a decent player but not one that would make me consider the draft class to be the best over the past 10 years.

Members online

Latest posts