Best and worst case scenarios for Packers' top picks.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Best and worst case....didn't see best case because the worst case of having to click through a slideshow kept me from reading it....I HATE websites that force you to click through multiple windows just so they can sell more ads.

H

HardRightEdge

I have a good crow recipe if that happens :)
So, what happened to Danny Shelton and that big, physical, impactful DB you wanted? :oops:

Anything's possible, but I won't be happy about a Gordon pick, no matter how many blackbirds you bake in a pie.

There is an argument to take a RB somewhere from the third round down.

There are only 3 RBs currently on the current roster.

1. Lacy's great. Check.

2. Shields will be 30 by this time next year. While his mileage has been light, he's been injury prone. He's become an OK blocker but is still a below average receiver. He's in the last year of his contract. We'll forever appreciate his contribution in 2010, but he's a spot player and can't be relied upon for 20-25 touches over multiple games in the event of a Lacy injury.

3. Neal looked decent on a handful of preseason runs against second teamers. He's an ex-wide receiver, so you'd figure he's decent catching the ball. But he's entirely unproven and coming off a knee injury. He was waived with an injury settlement last season, but the Packers think he's worth another shot in training camp. I don't think it goes further than that at this juncture.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, what happened to Danny Shelton and that big, physical, impactful DB you wanted? :oops:

Anything's possible, but I won't be happy about a Gordon pick, no matter how many blackbirds you bake in a pie.

There is an argument to take a RB somewhere from the third round down.

There are only 3 RBs currently on the current roster.

1. Lacy's great. Check.

2. Shields will be 30 by this time next year. While his mileage has been light, he's been injury prone. He's become an OK blocker but is still a below average receiver. He's in the last year of his contract. We'll forever appreciate his contribution in 2010, but he's a spot player and can't be relied upon for 20-25 touches over multiple games in the event of a Lacy injury.

3. Neal looked decent on a handful of preseason runs against second teamers. He's an ex-wide receiver, so you'd figure he's decent catching the ball. But he's entirely unproven and coming off a knee injury. He was waived with an injury settlement last season, but the Packers think he's worth another shot in training camp. I don't think it goes further than that at this juncture.
I dont see Ted making the Clay Mathews type of move it will take to move up to get shelton... Im not convinced its the best move anyways, spending so many picks on one player. There are a good amount of big, destructive D-linemen through out this draft that could help us the same way. Im still ok with building a great D-line with a half dozen mid-rounders like Daniels. As long as we do that! Boyd and the 3rd rounder that ended on IR, along with Pennel even. I shouldnt say they arent trying, and accomplishing the goal Im ranting about... A big splash guy right now would get us to where I want our D-line to be. IDEALLY! Rome wasnt built overnight I guess...

What do you think about trading up with a team that needs a 4-3 DE, and giving Perry along with our #30? two 1st round picks, you could say...

H

HardRightEdge

What do you think about trading up with a team that needs a 4-3 DE, and giving Perry along with our #30? two 1st round picks, you could say...
Perry has little or no trade value at this juncture. A $1.4 mil cap hit for a reclamation project is not attractive. If he goes unsigned by the Packers after the season somebody will pick him up for free on a "lets see what he does in training camp" deal, presumably as a 4-3 DE.

Even if somebody put a 6th. round pick value on him, which is highly unlikely, that would maybe warrant a move up from #30 to #28.

Players are drafted on projections. When the projection does not pan out after 3 seasons, there's not much value left.

D

Deleted member 6794

Im still ok with building a great D-line with a half dozen mid-rounders like Daniels. As long as we do that! Boyd and the 3rd rounder that ended on IR, along with Pennel even. I shouldnt say they arent trying, and accomplishing the goal Im ranting about.

Most mid-to-late round picks don't work out the way Daniels has though. Thompson has invested two first round picks lately to improve the DL, unfortunately Perry and Datone haven't made enough of an impact warranting being taken that early.

Other teams have seen Perry play, no way even one GM would agree to a deal like that.

H

HardRightEdge

Most mid-to-late round picks don't work out the way Daniels has though. Thompson has invested two first round picks lately to improve the DL, unfortunately Perry and Datone haven't made enough of an impact warranting being taken that early.

Other teams have seen Perry play, no way even one GM would agree to a deal like that.
Did you just say Perry was drafted for the DL? I guess that might a Freudian slip...it's what should have happened for somebody's 4-3.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im sure alot of teams had Perry graded very high as a 4-3 DE. The 3-4 OLB experiment may have not paid dividends. That doesnt change alot IMO...

With Worthy and the rookie 3rd rounder on IR last year. I shouldnt complain too much. Thompson has tried, and the injuries hurt us... Boyd is a good contributor. Pennel too. Guion was a key pick up. Thompson has been trying... And I think last years defense could owe more to this group than we give them credit for...

I just want more, right now... :)

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perry has little or no trade value at this juncture. A $1.4 mil cap hit for a reclamation project is not attractive. If he goes unsigned by the Packers after the season somebody will pick him up for free on a "lets see what he does in training camp" deal, presumably as a 4-3 DE.

Even if somebody put a 6th. round pick value on him, which is highly unlikely, that would maybe warrant a move up from #30 to #28.

Players are drafted on projections. When the projection does not pan out after 3 seasons, there's not much value left.
I thought we would keep him as a solid roster spot. negotiate a fair wage for the mediocre production. And motivate him with new ideas to take the next step as a pass rush artist on a superbowl defense...

D

Deleted member 6794

Did you just say Perry was drafted for the DL? I guess that might a Freudian slip...it's what should have happened for somebody's 4-3.

Sorry, made a mistake there. It seems like I spent too much energy on trying to explain the nickel package to our resident wizard. ;)

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still say its either ILB, CB or trade back at #30. One of those three things will happen IMO.