Before the days of Lacy

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We probabally would have lost this game against the scrappy Vikings... If Mr Lacy had not brought the power run back to title town. He is a bad bad man.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was thinking the same. I have a hard time seeing Brandon Jackson successfully running for two firsts to run out the clock...

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The final drive of this game was my favorite by far. When you can pick up 5 yards/carry against 9 man fronts, who is going to stop you?

Oh, and the OL is pretty damn good too.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to multiple members in the the chat box, we should have passed that last drive as running was too conservative....

Run, run, and then pass if needed is almost always the way to go in that situation. We didn't have to pass as we ended up 3rd and 2 though.

Glad MM called the runs and he doesn't have illogical guys like in our chat box calling the plays.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the first two runs didn't work, then you pass to try to pick up the first, but there is absolutely no reason to pass on 1st or 2nd down there. Amazing how illogical our chat box gets during close games.

Also, Lacy is an absolute stud and so was the line he was running behind. Go Pack!

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the first two runs didn't work, then you pass to try to pick up the first, but there is absolutely no reason to pass on 1st or 2nd down there. Amazing how illogical our chat box gets during close games.

Also, Lacy is an absolute stud and so was the line he was running behind. Go Pack!

I am skewed because all those years of "zone blocking" o-linemen. and undrafted RBs... Running the ball to kill the clock doesnt work when you run into a wall 9 times out of ten. You dont kill the clock, you just go 3 and out... Then figure in Rodgers being the best odds in any situation... But I get it. Strategically. Its damn nice to have confidence to run the ball and end the game.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I remember right, before Lacy came along, didn't Air-Run lead the team in rushing yards a couple of years ago?

nlferts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I think this Green Bay team could be the best since our Super Bowl run (and who knows, maybe better) because of our running game. Yes, we aren't quite as deep at receiver as we have been in the past, but having a reliable power-back that can also act as a pass-catcher as well is so huge. Hate 'Bama, but I love Lacy!

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I am skewed because all those years of "zone blocking" o-linemen. and undrafted RBs... Running the ball to kill the clock doesnt work when you run into a wall 9 times out of ten. You dont kill the clock, you just go 3 and out... Then figure in Rodgers being the best odds in any situation... But I get it. Strategically. Its damn nice to have confidence to run the ball and end the game.
You put the ball in the air you can have two negative outcomes. That was a show of confidence in the O line and Lacy and they came thru. We asserted our will on the Vikes. Felt good to do that. I loved this game more than the last two.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You put the ball in the air you can have two negative outcomes. That was a show of confidence in the O line and Lacy and they came thru. We asserted our will on the Vikes. Felt good to do that. I loved this game more than the last two.

Saying you can have 2 negative outcomes with a pass seems like letting the stats say what you want. You can have negative running plays or fumbles, too.

We have the best QB in the league, so I don't know how anyone could endorse not using that arm.

Yes, running the ball well feels good, but an elite passing game is what wins in today's NFL. There's a reason today was 24-21 and the last two weeks weren't even competitive - because we were able to do whatever we wanted offensively. I enjoyed asserting our dominance much more.

I love Lacy but it's Rodgers' arm, not Lacys legs that will mainly determine whether can we can get back to another Super Bowl.

Lacy is a great bruising back to have especially with the lead. However, Rodgers will always be the focal point of this offense. Lacy should never be force fed carries at Rodgers' expense just for the sake of establishing the run.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Saying you can have 2 negative outcomes with a pass seems like letting the stats say what you want. You can have negative running plays or fumbles, too.

We have the best QB in the league, so I don't know how anyone could endorse not using that arm.

Yes, running the ball well feels good, but an elite passing game is what wins in today's NFL. There's a reason today was 24-21 and the last two weeks weren't even competitive - because we were able to do whatever we wanted offensively. I enjoyed asserting our dominance much more.

I love Lacy but it's Rodgers' arm, not Lacys legs that will mainly determine whether can we can get back to another Super Bowl.

Lacy is a great bruising back to have especially with the lead. However, Rodgers will always be the focal point of this offense. Lacy should never be force fed carries at Rodgers' expense just for the sake of establishing the run.
When your running game is humming like ours was at the end of the game, Why risk a fluke INT or stopping the clock. This is the time of year to start asserting your running game. MM gave the ball to Lacy and the O line to kill the clock and they came thru. That's got to give that line a buzz. It gave me a buzz.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to multiple members in the the chat box, we should have passed that last drive as running was too conservative....

Run, run, and then pass if needed is almost always the way to go in that situation. We didn't have to pass as we ended up 3rd and 2 though.

Glad MM called the runs and he doesn't have illogical guys like in our chat box calling the plays.

Before you pat yourself on the back too much, apparently MM gave the option to AR for run or pass. Rodgers was going to pass but then changed to a run based on what he saw.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When your running game is humming like ours was at the end of the game, Why risk a fluke INT or stopping the clock. This is the time of year to start asserting your running game. MM gave the ball to Lacy and the O line to kill the clock and they came thru. That's got to give that line a buzz. It gave me a buzz.

If you're just referring to that last drive I agree with you. I'm talking over the course of an entire game, this is and should be a pass oriented offense.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before you pat yourself on the back too much, apparently MM gave the option to AR for run or pass. Rodgers was going to pass but then changed to a run based on what he saw.

Source? And which downs are you referring to?

There were 9 in the box on 1st down so I don't know what Rodgers could have seen that said run other than the situation.

Last edited:

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No, but it's Eddie's legs that churn the clock. What happened to the guys who were complaining about time of possession a couple weeks ago? If a pass play is unsuccessful, the clock stops. If a run play is unsuccessful, the clock still runs. Since running the clock is part of the goal of the play, a run play is never completely unsuccessful in that situation. Any coach that doesn't run when you're picking up 5+ yards a pop in that situation needs his head examined.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you're just referring to that last drive I agree with you. I'm talking over the course of an entire game, this is and should be a pass oriented offense.
I don't think anyone said otherwise, did they?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was more responding to where he said he loved this game more than the last 2. I much preferred the 2 games of completely imposing our will offensively on other teams. I understand that it's satisfying to pick up 2 first downs on the ground to end the game to me, but that doesn't trump the last 2 results to me.

To clarify I wasn't calling for passes on the last drive. I'm glad they did what they did and put this tough road divisional game to rest. Just understand that if Lacy had gotten stoned on 3rd and 2 and the Vikings come back to win, there's a lot of people screaming that play action would have gotten an easy first down.

At the end of the day the players have to go out and execute regardless of the call. There's no perfect call. It's up to the players to make the coaches look smart.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There was the 2011 game in Minnesota, arguably our worst rushing season as noted above with Alex Green's team leading 464 yards. With the game on the line, an unlikely James Starks rattled off six runs for 55 yards to ice the game. Unfortunately that has been the exception instead of the norm....until Eddie Lacy came along.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just understand that if Lacy had gotten stoned on 3rd and 2 and the Vikings come back to win, there's a lot of people screaming that play action would have gotten an easy first down.
... which would be easily dismissed as pure conjecture, since there is no guarantee of any play being successful.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts