Barclay suffers torn ACL

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
At some point, people do have to consider the possibility of throwing luck out when this has occurred FOUR out of the last FIVE years. That is not coincidence, that is a trend. At what point do you get some independent evaluation of practice habits and training? We will never know behind the scenes. Something is not right, it can't be. Not even the Cubs have encountered this kind of raunchy luck.

It's called 300 pound plus guys that are incredibly strong pushing on each other at max level.. The stress and strain on joints is mind boggling. Knees are going to give out.

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The people saying this is nothing are under-educated on the subject. Offensive line depth is a must to succeed. Sure, he may be a backup, but he is a VERY serviceable backup that we were almost certainly going to rely heavily on at some point in the year. He can play 4 positions at a fairly high level and has played well in his young career thus far. You can never have too many linemen on either side of the ball. Every player on the 53 man roster will contribute at some point, and our 53rd man just got a little less talented.

Like I said, he may not be a current starter, but if I were to rank our team 1-53 from most important to least, I'd have to think Barclay would be in the low 30s. It's not the team with the best 3 or 4 guys that has the best shot, it's the team with the best 53.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, Barclay probably would have contributed at some point this season, but this team is good enough to sustain injuries to back up players. As long the key guys remain healthy, they'll be okay.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The people saying this is nothing are under-educated on the subject. Offensive line depth is a must to succeed. Sure, he may be a backup, but he is a VERY serviceable backup that we were almost certainly going to rely heavily on at some point in the year. He can play 4 positions at a fairly high level and has played well in his young career thus far. You can never have too many linemen on either side of the ball. Every player on the 53 man roster will contribute at some point, and our 53rd man just got a little less talented.

Like I said, he may not be a current starter, but if I were to rank our team 1-53 from most important to least, I'd have to think Barclay would be in the low 30s. It's not the team with the best 3 or 4 guys that has the best shot, it's the team with the best 53.

I completely agree with you about having the best 53. You gotta have a really good 53 to win a super bowl. There is no doubt this is a significant injury as I posted earlier. I believe the first one so far. I also know that it is unrealistic to believe that your best 53 are going to be with you from when camp started to when the season starts. You bring in 90 guys to camp for a reason. Guys are going to get hurt and other are going to under perform. Others are going to step up in pre-season and be pleasant surprises.

I like it when TT said "things seem to work there way out usually when getting down to a 53". There is some sting to the Barclay injury no doubt. Is this injury going to prevent us from winning a Super Bowl? I don't think so. In fact, if it does then we have no business being in the Super Bowl because we have a lot of other good players.

It's a long season and along the way your going to need some guys to step up that you didn't know you had. I would rather be trying to replace a depth spot then a key starter any day like some other teams are trying to do right now.

I can guarantee you this. There will be more injuries along the way. Hopefully at a minimal level and not to key guys.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a bad injury for us. But we never would have known Barclay was a keeper if there werent injuries in the first place. Sherrod isnt a bad back up at all...

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
This is a bad injury for us. But we never would have known Barclay was a keeper if there werent injuries in the first place. Sherrod isnt a bad back up at all...

Exactly, just like we didn't know we had a keeper at Left Tackle in Bachtiari. Barclay was solid but he wasn't all-world. Speaking of Sherrod, there is way more upside there.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly, just like we didn't know we had a keeper at Left Tackle in Bachtiari. Barclay was solid but he wasn't all-world. Speaking of Sherrod, there is way more upside there.
MM has been quoted saying Barclay was developing into a guy that could play all 5 positions. That's a rare thing for a OL guy to be able to do. Individually Sherrod may have a higher skill ceiling over Barclay at one position. Sweet. Not having Barclay will still hurt the OL rotation by not having a serviceable "everyman" type guy there.

I am optimistic about Sherrod and hope we'll still have a solid line through the season. I'm not blind to the doors being opened by this. That does not mean however; that I have to mince words about Barclay going down.

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
MM has been quoted saying Barclay was developing into a guy that could play all 5 positions. That's a rare thing for a OL guy to be able to do. Individually Sherrod may have a higher skill ceiling over Barclay at one position. Sweet. Not having Barclay will still hurt the OL rotation by not having a serviceable "everyman" type guy there.

I am optimistic about Sherrod and hope we'll still have a solid line through the season. I'm not blind to the doors being opened by this. That does not mean however; that I cannot mince words about Barclay going down.

Barclay's versatility and intangibles will be missed. He didn't really do anything great but did several things good. As most of us know the show goes on. Need to find someone to replace him at back up guard and hopefully Lane Taylor steps up to the challenge. They can always bring someone in too, to compete. It's early so there is plenty of time to make adjustments.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Total over reaction. To think the season is up in smoke is just unbelievable to me. For anyone to think that the team would go through training camp and not have some significant injuries is absurd IMO. We haven't lost one starter and other teams already have. We lost a UDFA TE that is overweight and isn't going to make the team. A 5th round WR that was never going to see the field and a back up lineman that has questionable pass blocking skills.

This is why you go into training camp with a 90 man roster and I still believe when it's all said and done this will be one of Packers strongest 53 they have ever had if not the strongest.

I´m quite sure if the Seahawks would have suffered an equivalent injury you would have predicted they´re going 0-16.

Barclay would have been a versatile backup at four positions, a guy the Packers lack now at both guards and the RT position.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, Barclay probably would have contributed at some point this season, but this team is good enough to sustain injuries to back up players. As long the key guys remain healthy, they'll be okay.

As long as there are no further injuries to the OL, which is a big "as long as". If a starter or another important backup (Sherrod, even Linsley) goes down, it's a whole 'nother ballgame.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I´m quite sure if the Seahawks would have suffered an equivalent injury you would have predicted they´re going 0-16.

Barclay would have been a versatile backup at four positions, a guy the Packers lack now at both guards and the RT position.

Well the Seahawks have already lost there starting right tackle(not a back up) and if you take a gander at the thread "Will the Packers win in Seattle" you will see my remarks regarding there injury issues on the offensive line which I have made no mention of 0-16 or anything of the sorts.

But thank you for bringing up the Seahawks. They don't even know who there starter is going to be at RT as it sits right now and its not because they got two really good guys battling it out. Kind of a big deal I think when you consider there the Super Bowl champs.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Well the Seahawks have already lost there starting right tackle(not a back up) and if you take a gander at the thread "Will the Packers win in Seattle" you will see my remarks regarding there injury issues on the offensive line which I have made no mention of 0-16 or anything of the sorts.

But thank you for bringing up the Seahawks. They don't even know who there starter is going to be at RT as it sits right now. Kind of a big deal I think when you consider there the Super Bowl champs.

I was just trying to point out that you overreact to anything bad happening to the Seahawks while downplaying negative stuff about the Packers.

IMO Barclay missing the entire season could turn out to be a major loss for the Packers if one of our starters gets injured at one point during the season.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I was just trying to point out that you overreact to anything bad happening to the Seahawks while downplaying negative stuff about the Packers.

IMO Barclay missing the entire season could turn out to be a major loss for the Packers if one of our starters gets injured at one point during the season.

And I agree with you. I posted that his versatility and intangibles will be missed. I said this injury stings some. There is more then a good chance that at some point down the road he will be needed.

With that said we still got Sherrod who looks like he can finally contribute. Hopefully Lane Taylor or someone else can step up at guard. We got 4 pre-season games to find out. I just don't think it's time to hit the "panic button"

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
And yes I hate the Seahawks. Almost as much as the Bears but I am not making these things up. The Seahawks have lost way more then us when you consider guys that will actually contribute adding up free agency and injuries so far,

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

With that said we still got Sherrod who looks like he can finally contribute. Hopefully Lane Taylor or someone else can step up at guard. We got 4 pre-season games to find out. I just don't think it's time to hit the "panic button"

Once again, it´s not time to hit the panic button but IMO being concerned is warranted. At the moment our backup OL have played a combined 20 snaps in the league since 2011, not an ideal situation.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Once again, it´s not time to hit the panic button but IMO being concerned is warranted. At the moment our backup OL have played a combined 20 snaps in the league since 2011, not an ideal situation.

Well there are so many variables here. Maybe Bakhtiari and Bulaga can go the distance like Clifton and Tauscher
did. Sitton and Lang are pretty damn durable.

I like Sherrod at Tackle and McCarthy says he can play the right side. It's about time we get some production out of a first round pick IMO. The guy was drafted to start for years. He is healthy and stronger then ever. Let him play.

So were really talking about two roster spots here. Lindsey is going to scoop one of them up. Let the cream rise to the top for the last spot. It's far from a terrible situation.

Would you rather be like the Seahawks bringing in 30 somethings to fill a hole?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Well there are so many variables here. Maybe Bakhtiari and Bulaga can go the distance like Clifton and Tauscher
did. Sitton and Lang are pretty damn durable.

I like Sherrod at Tackle and McCarthy says he can play the right side. It's about time we get some production out of a first round pick IMO. The guy was drafted to start for years. He is healthy and stronger then ever. Let him play.

So were really talking about two roster spots here. Lindsey is going to scoop one of them up. Let the cream rise to the top for the last spot. It's far from a terrible situation.

Would you rather be like the Seahawks bringing in 30 somethings to fill a hole?

If Tretter (who has improved over the last few practices) works out I´m fine with the starters on the OL. Sherrod is a former first round pick and should be able to contribute and Linsley has impressed during camp so far. I´m concerned about the backup situation at both guard spots right now.

I don´t care about the Seahawks as much as you do, but they won the Super Bowl last year with a below average OL.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
If Tretter (who has improved over the last few practices) works out I´m fine with the starters on the OL. Sherrod is a former first round pick and should be able to contribute and Linsley has impressed during camp so far. I´m concerned about the backup situation at both guard spots right now.

I don´t care about the Seahawks as much as you do, but they won the Super Bowl last year with a below average OL.

They wont do it again this year for many reasons but I really don't want to get into that right now.

Yep, gotta find a back up guard. McCarthy sounds kind of "luke warm" on Taylor so there might be somewhat of a concern there. Maybe if they HAD too and I mean HAD too Sherrod could go to Tackle and Bakhtiari could slide down to guard.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

They wont do it again this year for many reasons but I really don't want to get into that right now.

Yep, gotta find a back up guard. McCarthy sounds kind of "luck warm" on Taylor so there might be somewhat of a concern there. Maybe if they HAD too and I mean HAD too Sherrod could go to Tackle and Bakhtiari could slide down to guard.

I´d rather have the starters stay in their respective spot and not move them around.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I couldn't disagree with this more. In general, an NFL team is only as good as its backups. It is rare for teams to make it through a season mostly unscathed from injury. Some of those backups fighting for jobs in all of the preseason games will likely be starters at some point during the season. The Packers, as discussed ad nausea, have suffered a higher number of injuries than average recently. As for the offensive line and OT specifically, here is a good quote from a Don Barclay article:

http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/minus-don-barclay-packers-likely-to-need-derek-sherrod-in-2014
The Packers haven't had their left and right tackle both start all 16 games since 2007, when Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher manned the bookends all season. During each of the last six seasons, Green Bay has needed to call on a backup to start at least one game.

Probability says that we were going to need our primary OL backup at some point this season. This isn't a panic button moment, but it certainly hurts.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Lets just hope this was our big camp injury this year and the last of it. Hopefully we can stay healthy and avoid major injury through the rest of the pre-season. If we get to the regular season losing just Barclay I can live with it.

As many know around here it could be a lot worse.

Members online

Latest posts