Backup Quaterback - Harrell to be released

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Harrell's numbers were just horrific.
I read that he had like 13 or 15 drives, and led the team to a total of 3 points. And that came on a drive that started at the other team's 30 yard line or close to it..... if you can't produce, at all, in preseason, you gotta go.

I tried defending this guy the past 2 years.
Now I don't blame Thompson or McCarthy for axing him.

If Young gets hurt or doesn't pan out, up next will be Vince Young's replacement at Texas, Colt McCoy.
How do they plan on getting McCoy from the Niners?

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I assume he's suggesting the unlikely course that we trade a pick. A pick that we'd probably use on a decent rookie QB who hasn't already proven he's a bust. The allure of certain veterans will forever elude me.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hearing there's a chance that someone else there (forgot the dude's name) might get the #2 job there. Forgot his name, but he's more like Kaepernick, athletic.

Remember there were talks of the Packers obtaining McCoy before, as supposedly McCarthy or Thompson liked him.

Obviously a long shot.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
If the accounts of Harrell's release are correct we are about to find out exactly what #13 can do with a highly complex offensive playbook.

The guy has started in the NFL and has a pretty decent record as a starting QB ... so, he wins. That's a good sign. His college career has nothing to do with anything.

I bring up the highly complex offense issue because .... though not always indicative of NFL success ... VY's Wonderlich scores, for QB in a complex offense, scares me. I don't put an end all/be all on those scores but, it is an indicator of VY's ability or willingness to absorb information. We'll see ... mind you, Harrell and Coleman aren't options - never were - but, I'd feel a heck of a lot more comfortable with Young back there than either of those guys

H

HardRightEdge

Those around here who didn't want to give Vince Young a chance were wrong.

A chance to do what, exactly?

Make the team? There was always that chance given the competition.

A chance to win a game? I hope we don't have the opportunity to find out.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm not sure I wouldn't prefer the Bill's #3 QB, Jeff Tuel. He won't make it to PS, and we wouldn't get near a shot at him via waivers. Such a trade won't happen; there is little about Tuel that is broken for MM and TT to want to fix.

Oh, the Bills will probably keep him on the active roster with Manuel's knee issue and Kolb's history. It does beg the question...how do the lowly Bills manage to have 3 competent QBs (even if none of them would be outstanding starters) and the vaunted TT scouting can only manage one.

I think the front office losses over the last few years are taking their toll.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I'm hearing there's a chance that someone else there (forgot the dude's name) might get the #2 job there. Forgot his name, but he's more like Kaepernick, athletic.

Remember there were talks of the Packers obtaining McCoy before, as supposedly McCarthy or Thompson liked him.

Obviously a long shot.
Well here you go. Let's see if they bite

Report: 49ers trying to trade Colt McCoy
Posted by Josh Alper on August 25, 2013, 1:04 PM EDT
Getty Images
The 49ers signed quarterback Seneca Wallace this week, a sure sign that they are less than thrilled with the options on hand to back up Colin Kaepernick this season.
It’s no big surprise, then, to hear that they’re trying to trade one of those players. Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network reports that the 49ers are trying to trade Colt McCoy, who they acquired from the Browns prior to the draft for a pair of draft choices. Should their attempts at swinging a deal be unsuccessful, the 49ers are expected to release McCoy.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/25/report-49ers-trying-to-trade-colt-mccoy/

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HRE - Forget Farve is referring to the masses that were against evening signing VY. If you search the threads, you'll see that was a reality just like those who didn't even want TT to bring in Johnny Jolly.

I wasn't a VY fan early on but he did move the ball as I stated earlier, and proved that his natural ability was greater than Harrell's knowledge of Green Bay's offense.

As for the 49ers, they just restructured Colt McCoy's contract last night and named him the starter:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp...ncisco-49ers-restructures-deal-line-backup-qb
However, that BJ Daniels played darn good against the Vikings. No matter what, two of these three guys will be available after cut-downs if we want to move on from Coleman as well.
Now, Wallace, Scott Tolzien and rookie B.J. Daniels will compete for the third QB job. Rosters are cut down to 75 players Tuesday.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I wouldn't prefer the Bill's #3 QB, Jeff Tuel. He won't make it to PS, and we wouldn't get near a shot at him via waivers. Such a trade won't happen; there is little about Tuel that is broken for MM and TT to want to fix.

Oh, the Bills will probably keep him on the active roster with Manuel's knee issue and Kolb's history. It does beg the question...how do the lowly Bills manage to have 3 competent QBs (even if none of them would be outstanding starters) and the vaunted TT scouting can only manage one.

I think the front office losses over the last few years are taking their toll.
He's penciled in now to be the starter:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp.../buffalo-bills-plan-start-jeff-tuel-qb-week-1

Members online

Latest posts