Atari Bigby - will he be starting?

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you think Atari Bigby will be our starting SS? He certainly made some spectacular plays against the 2nd string of Seattle. He seems like a very alert player.

As long as he doesn't drop off I think he can unseat Manuel come opening day.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He will be starting, he's a beast, however he needs to improve his coverage, but hey, is Manuel any better in coverage?

Bigby tackles better and has better range than Manuel. Yes He will start.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i HOPE he can unseat manuel. he got burned again on a couple plays last night. if he's out there, it's gonna be those big plays that kill us, and it's all on him. bigby looked really good last night, i hope he keeps improving and takes manuel's job.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he had a couple of big plays himself though... something we need from the safety position.

route25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hoping to go to practice on Tuesday. The biggest thing I'll be looking for is to see which of the 2 gets the most reps with the starting defense. That could be a clue as to which way the coaching staff is leaning.

OP
OP
R

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The other thing I like about him is that he was on the practice squad for a while and worked his way up. It's cool to see guys persist like that and work their way onto the active roster.

Reaction score
I think he's at least on even ground with Manuel now for the starters job.

Really quick and athletic, the dude doesn't care about his body the way he was throwing it around yesterday.

You gotta love it! :D

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's one for two. I saw him make some nice plays against Seattle but I still haven't seen what he can do in pass coverage. I definately think as of now though, he's the #1 Strong Safety on the team with Rouse being the top backup. Manuel could be on his way out in favor of Underwood or Culver because they are picks. Charlie Peprah too.

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like his style of play. He's got a lot of reckless abandon. Much how like I used to play in Pee-wee's.

In the first game Bigby was always in the area but never made the play; this week he was making the plays.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I like about Bigby is his physical stature. He can lay some wood, but is also very athletic. I think he brings a lot more to the table than Manuel does.

If he beats out Manuel, do we pay Manuel big money to be a backup? Personally I would say no, however, a decent backup is never a bad idea.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I like about Bigby is his physical stature. He can lay some wood, but is also very athletic. I think he brings a lot more to the table than Manuel does.

If he beats out Manuel, do we pay Manuel big money to be a backup? Personally I would say no, however, a decent backup is never a bad idea.

Is Manuel decent???

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense TT and MM have formed is SO physical, it seems like Bigby fits the scheme better than Manuel, but I'd be fine with either starting. Rouse needs a little time to develop but I think he'll be fine in a year or two.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was going to say this last week, but didnt, because a lot of people would have yelld at me and made me cry...

but in preseason week 1, Bigby did...good. Did he get beat on a couple plays? Yes, sir. But...preseason...week 1...very young player vs. a very good NFL WR? Can we give him a break? even on the long bomb, he was on the man's heels and DID tackle him(manuel...wouldnt have, thats a TD)

And this week he looked more comfortable, and consistent.

I don't know if he'll start right away, but he will definitely get some action if he keeps it up. Manuel....poor manuel. Everyone is talented but him (some of the talent is too raw though)

We shall see!

I love bigby, he attacks people like a spider monkey.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, we've had two great descriptions of Bigby's sack already in this thread:

1. Like Troy Polamalu
2. Like a spider monkey

Both are great comparisons. That was an unreal play.

Like porky, I need to see more of Bigby in pass coverage to get a better idea of how good he really is. But we already know what we have in Manuel, which is a safety who is slightly below average at best, and downright awful at worst. So I think Atari should get the job as long as he doesn't screw up big time in pass coverage. We've had way too much mediocrity at that position, to the point where some fans are happy as long as our safeties aren't making embarrassing mistakes. But the team needs to set its sights higher and get some playmakers in there.

Not to change the subject, but I should mention that Nick Collins hasn't impressed me a whole lot in the preseason. I think he'll be okay, but I don't see him as any better than average this year. I hope I'm wrong and he has a breakout season.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know we watch this team so very closely but when you look at other games and other teams it does not seem to me their safety coverage is all that great either.
I see a LOT of WR's open out there with safeties covering.

I like the Palamalu comparison BECAUSE he get's burned at times as well BUT he is a playmaker.

NFL games turn on big plays. We have so much disruption on the front that having guys like Bigby that can add to it is a huge plus. It is the difference between dictating the action and having to sit back and playing to not make a mistake because you don't have the big time playmakers.

Bigby takes full advantage of an offensive line with it's hands FULL with our defensive front players. If you notice it they did not send him until it was obvious the offensive line was getting their *** handed to them. They never saw him coming.

OP
OP
R

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the Palamalu comparison BECAUSE he get's burned at times as well BUT he is a playmaker.

Well, no safety is perfect. Every defensive player gets burned once in a while. Some of them less often than others. :)

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bigby will bring more athleticism to the position and a tough nosed attitude. Seems to need work on coverage, and just awareness and recognition in general.

Manuel has seen it all and seems to be a fairly smart player, he also has the capability to be physical. However we have not seen this play out on the field, and his lack of speed makes him a liability in coverage.

With either starting, this has to be considered the weak link of the defense, although Bigby has a vast upside while Manuel has peaked.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Manuel seems faster this year (2nd year in the system and a full year recovered from his injury). He caught Burleson on that broken tackle play.

Just throwing it out there. I'm very intrigued by Bigby.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:

Well, no safety is perfect. Every defensive player gets burned once in a while. Some of them less often than others. :)

He has the potential to be great because his ability allows him to go after it and do things others may not even try to do. It may lead to getting torched on occasion but what he could contribute, like Palamalu, far exceeds the liabilities.

The last time our defense was REALLY good (and it's been awhile) we had a safety that could do the things Bigsby shows he can do.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i hope all of this praise is well-founded. i saw the game on saturday night and i am certainly impressed with the possibility of what Bigby is capable of. however, i didn't see the first game, but i heard he performed rather poorly. i sure hope he keeps up the good work.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you think Atari Bigby will be our starting SS? He certainly made some spectacular plays against the 2nd string of Seattle. He seems like a very alert player.

As long as he doesn't drop off I think he can unseat Manuel come opening day.

I wrote about Bigby's and Bush's athletisim back in January in my positional review and in the following article I wrote in early July. I'll highlight the Bigby and Bush parts:

Great Training Camp Battles Loom in the Packers’ Defensive Secondary
July 10, 2007
Written by Bruce Smith - PackerChatters Staff

Yes, three of the four starting positions in the Green Bay Packers’ secondary are locked down by veterans Harris, Woodson and Collins. And yes, short of injury all three will hold onto their jobs as starters.

However, after those three locks to start, the competition should be wild and intense for the 4th starting spot, and the two to three positions open in the nickel and dime packages that have become essential mainstay in today’s NFL defensive arsenals.

For the moment Marquand Manuel is still penciled in as the starting strong safety, but after his dismal play last season, the young guys Atari Bigby, Tyrone Culver, Marviel Underwood, Aaron Rouse, and Charlie Peprah, all of whom have more physical talent than Manuel, are gunning for his spot. I am sure most of you will be surprised to learn that at the moment they are lined up just as I listed them above.

Atari Bigby has worked like a mad man throughout the off-season and turned coach’s heads in the mini-camps and OTA’s. This tough 5-11 and 210 lb Jamaican born safety has the speed to run side line to side line and is physically tough enough to battle TE’s, blowup receivers and provide solid support for the run defense. This work has Atari running slightly ahead of last year’s rookie surprise Tyrone Culver and pushing Manuel for his job.

Like last season, the 6-1 and 200 lb Culver used his head and instincts to get the every bit out of his athletic ability. Tyrone is a solid tackler, contains well in the open field and secures the ball carrier with solid wrap-up and tackling technique. Tyrone continues to be a film room freak and will not be caught under prepared in this sure to be intense playing time and roster spot battle.

Marviel Underwood was positioned to make his move last season in training camp when he shredded his knee in the first preseason game. When healthy this 5-10 200 lb youngster packs a wallop and has above average speed and quickness for a safety. I know some of you want to pencil him in as the starter; however Underwood’s freak injury will test his ability to overcome adversity and result in him entering the competition stiff and full of rust. Add to that this young man does not have years of experience to fall back on and you begin to see the substantial hurdles Marviel will have to overcome to emerge victorious in this cage match competition.

Of course any discussion on the Safety position needs to factor in 3rd round draft pick Aaron Rouse, a 6-4 220 lb intriguing prospect from Virginia Tech. Aaron had a monster junior season, but struggled greatly in his senior season. Part of this could be attributable to the fact that he never settled into a single position at Virginia Tech (Rouse began as an outside linebacker at Virginia Tech but eventually shifted to safety) and partly because he played with a broken hand. His physical tools make him an exceptionally prospect with some pretty impressive raw measurable's - like being 6-4 220 and running a 4.37 40.

However, he will be competing in the big leagues and cannot afford to stumble like he did as a senior at VT. For many reasons I don't think Aaron has will be in the competition for serious playing time, but he should cash in on some very good physical tools and upside potential to make the team. If he is a quick learner he may have an opportunity to be a monster contributor on special teams as he uses his rookie season to learn the craft of playing safety in the NFL.

Two long shots hoping for injury opportunities opening roster spots for them include Charlie Peprah and Alvin NNabuife. Charlie played in a big time program and Alvin is a sleeper who played in NFLE.

I would be remiss if I did not point out, while I have been down on Manuel from the moment the rumors of Thompson’s interest began, he is a veteran player who has survived to craft a NFL career and will not lie down without a fight. He will have to really turn up his game to hold off the young hungry pack gnawing at his heals and ready to pounce at even the slightest stumble.

While the competition at Safety will draw a great deal of ink and much of the attention, the competition does not stop there. While there are only 4 starting positions, modern NFL defensive backfields frequently man the field with 2 to 3 more DB’s in their nickel and dime packages

Frank Walker is an aggressive, 25 year old, hard-hitting cornerback whose playing ability and experience should make him an ideal candidate for the nickel and dime job. Walker is a pretty straight-laced, "breath-sleep-and-eat" football guy who should thrive in a town like Green Bay. He is blessed with a true CB mentality, a short memory on the field (when plays don't go as planned) and loads of confidence, both are essential ingredients for success at CB in the NFL.

Remember, Walker has started in this league, and as a 25 year old with 4 years experience, Frank still has plenty of upside to build on to that experience. Walker's got good speed (running in the low 4.4’s for the Packer workout) and he is fluid, with good burst and the flexible hips that are so essential for playing CB in the NFL. He is a strong tackler, which is always nice for nickel and dime packages, as is his superior ball awareness - especially playing zone defense. Areas of growth include: getting better at jamming receivers in press coverage and staying away from taking penalties of over-aggression. He has been relatively healthy, but did have some hamstring issues last season.

Of course Walker will have to compete with Will Blackmon, Jarrett Bush and Patrick Dendy for playing time at the CB position.

Dendy is the one who grabbed the job of nickel back after Ahmad Carroll was released in week 5 or the '06 season and hopes to parlay that experience with hard work over the off season to hold the nickel job and first CB off the bench. Patrick Dendy, at 6' 190 lbs has the right mental makeup to play the corner and his 3 interceptions were impressive and timely, After suffering through watching Carroll’s flagatitus, even the casual observer had to be impressed by the fact that Dendy handled the top nickel job while only drawing one penalty all season long. Equally important to the defense was the fact that his teammates could count on him to be where he was supposed to be - Dendy studies hard and plays assignment sure for a young undrafted free agent corner.

Jarrett Bush 6 foot 200 lbs, on the other hand, is loaded with athletic ability, with a great size to speed ratio, who rarely got on the field as a defender last season as a free-agent rookie pickup. Last season Jarrett did provide the team with the Kamikaze special team player that most teams covet, and where he delivered big hits and impressive hustle as a gunner on the punt team. He also was a fixture on the kick-off coverage team.

If the coaching staff can work with this kid on developing his ability as a corner, he might surprise some folks and leap-frog into the nickel position in 2007. He certainly has the size and strength and athletic ability to do the job, if he can just get it down between the ears, he should make a great press CB. He stood out at mini-camp and OTA’s with his marked improvement.

Of course the biggest hopes at this position lie with the 6 foot 202 pound, Will Blackmon. Will watched his rookie season implode due to injuries right out of the gate - he broke his foot in mini-camp and as soon as he healed he fractured his ribs and ended up on the IR for the season.

While there is no questioning Will Blackmon's athletic ability, there certainly are questions about his development. Blackmon was outstanding as a DB, but never settled into the position long enough to gather significant experience or learn the more subtle aspects of playing CB due to shifting to wide receiver to benefit his team in college. IF he can stay healthy, he has the athletic ability to not only grab the top spot off the bench, but to eventually be a talented starter in this league. Ah, but there is that BIG IF again…

Like I said in the title of this piece “Great Training Camp Battles Loom in the Packers’ Defensive Secondary…” So pull up a chair, fasten your seatbelts and let the games begin – this should be fun to watch.