Assistant Coach Tracker

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Randy Moss rarely worked on his craft?

He basically took the torch from Jerry Rice and carried on the tradition of crazy off-season programs for WR'S.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He basically took the torch from Jerry Rice and carried on the tradition of crazy off-season programs for WR'S.
^I agree. Moss's off-season training regime is crazy (many current NFL WRs go to Moss for off-season training).

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also want to say that just because someone was a good football player, does not mean they are a good teacher/coach.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He may have had crazy offseason workouts, but that effort didn’t always translate to the regular season. I remember him half ***’ing his way out of MN and out of Oakland. Jerry never sucked for the Raiders.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
He may have had crazy offseason workouts, but that effort didn’t always translate to the regular season. I remember him half ***’ing his way out of MN and out of Oakland. Jerry never sucked for the Raiders.

I realize he was not a great teammate at times in his career. Who he is as a person now, I can't say. But the argument that because he was talented, he wasn't really dedicated to his craft is deeply flawed. There have been tons of receivers over the years with physical gifts as impressive as Moss'. Jeff Janis, for instance. What set him apart was his skillset in his position to unlock all that talent.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Jeff Janis and Randy Moss...in the same sentence?

Moss:

-6'4" 194
-4.38 forty
-117" broad
-4.17 SS
-7.19 3C

Janis:

-6'3" 219
-4.42 forty
-123" broad
-3.98 SS
-6.64 3C

Janis is NOT in the same sentence (or paragraph, or chapter, or book, or genre) as Moss as a wide receiver.

However, he is in the same strata purely as an athlete, as have been many players who have entered the league and failed to make an impact.

Moss was an extremely good athlete, but not so rare that we don't see similar athletes fairly often. It was his *skill* as a wide receiver in tandem with that athleticism that made him so, so special (in my mind, the best WR to ever play).

The point is that it's incorrect to say that Moss was just so gifted that he stepped on the field and accomplished what he did without trying. He was an elite WR in technical terms as much as he was in athletic terms.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Moss had it all, including smarts, for your deep threat who can also run an out and be 10 yards in the clear.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I simply hated Randy Moss.....not because of the guy, but because of how damn good he was. In 15 career games against Green Bay, Moss had 73 receptions for 1,320 yards and 14 touchdowns.

Adrian Peterson was even "worse" when it comes to what he did to the Packers. 18 games, 365 carries, 1899 yards, 15 touchdowns, 25 receptions, 226 yards, 1 touchdown.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Browns ST DVOA during Mennenga's years as Asst. ST Coordinator:

2011- 10th
2012- 2nd
2013- 14th
2014- 14th
2015- 15th
2016- 24th
2017- 27th

Until the last two seasons, I think that's a pretty solid showing. A big factor in ST ability is overall team depth. We all know that the Browns' roster was not very good/deep for most of that stretch. However, as he was an assistant to Chris Tabor, it's hard to know what part of that is attributable to him.

For what it's worth-- Tabor was Chicago's ST Coordinator this last season and they ranked 26th in ST DVOA. So *maybe* that's an indicator that Tabor didn't have everything to do with the early success in Cleveland?

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Jason Simmons promotion is a bit surprising, but I guess they must have liked him more than they liked Whitt.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Whitt wasn't DB coach last season. He was the passing game coordinator and some other doofus gets credit for the DB :poop:show. Do try to keep up.
Try to keep up? Keep up with what? McCarthy had all sorts of titles for his coaches, so call the position that Whitt was given last year anything you want, he was primarily in charge of the Secondary (the DB's). Simmons now has Whitt's old job. If the Packers Hire another coach and call him "Defense Pass Game Coordinator" (Whitt's Title last year) I will agree with you.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that is an ignorant and insulting saying.
or it's an old adage that i have brought up.

calling it ignorant and insulting is possibly a bit of both in itself. just because someone was naturally gifted at playing any sport, doesn't mean that they necessarily will be a good coach/manager, whereas those that have had to put in the effort to learn how to play at an elite level, generally turn out to be more suited to a coaching/management job after their playing career comes to an end.

i'm going to use a couple of football examples, rather than american football.

Sir alex ferguson, pep guardiola, jose murinho, are all classed as some of the best football managers in europe ever, but neither had a distinguished playing career. where as very few of the best players have even went into management/coaching. zinedine zidane is about the only world class player i can think of that has went on to have some similar success in management

JohnnyBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's official with Mennenga now. They also retained Maurice Drayton as assistant special teams coach and hired two new Defensive QC coaches in Wendel Davis and Christian Parker.

https://www.packers.com/news/packers-name-shawn-mennenga-special-teams-coordinator

The Green Bay Packers have named Shawn Mennenga special teams coordinator, retained assistant special teams coach Maurice Drayton and hired Wendel Davis and Christian Parker as defensive quality control coaches.

Drayton was only here one year with Ron Zook, so maybe he has a different philosophy than Zook did.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
or it's an old adage that i have brought up.

calling it ignorant and insulting is possibly a bit of both in itself. just because someone was naturally gifted at playing any sport, doesn't mean that they necessarily will be a good coach/manager, whereas those that have had to put in the effort to learn how to play at an elite level, generally turn out to be more suited to a coaching/management job after their playing career comes to an end.

i'm going to use a couple of football examples, rather than american football.

Sir alex ferguson, pep guardiola, jose murinho, are all classed as some of the best football managers in europe ever, but neither had a distinguished playing career. where as very few of the best players have even went into management/coaching. zinedine zidane is about the only world class player i can think of that has went on to have some similar success in management
As I said ...using that addage is both ignorant (since you are apparently unaware) and insulting to the thousands of educators in this world that choose that calling. Choosing to teach others does not indicate an inability to “do”. I realize that you are speaking about the sporting world and not specifically the classroom, but I think you need to be made aware of how insulting that particular phrase is perceived to be.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
As I said ...using that addage is both ignorant (since you are apparently unaware) and insulting to the thousands of educators in this world that choose that calling. Choosing to teach others does not indicate an inability to “do”. I realize that you are speaking about the sporting world and not specifically the classroom, but I think you need to be made aware of how insulting that particular phrase is perceived to be.
I always took the phrase to be more of a mentoring situation than a slam at academia. Similar to the old master not being physically able to be the best and is now content instructing the young apprentice.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always took the phrase to be more of a mentoring situation than a slam at academia. Similar to the old master not being physically able to be the best and is now content instructing the young apprentice.
I will only say one more thing ... and then i’m done... I am joined by many when I say that that phrase is deeply offensive to many people... therefore i’m not sure that it matters how you take have taken it. If you are ok with that .... well you’re the moderator...

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Moss:

-6'4" 194
-4.38 forty
-117" broad
-4.17 SS
-7.19 3C

Janis:

-6'3" 219
-4.42 forty
-123" broad
-3.98 SS
-6.64 3C

Janis is NOT in the same sentence (or paragraph, or chapter, or book, or genre) as Moss as a wide receiver.

However, he is in the same strata purely as an athlete, as have been many players who have entered the league and failed to make an impact.

Moss was an extremely good athlete, but not so rare that we don't see similar athletes fairly often. It was his *skill* as a wide receiver in tandem with that athleticism that made him so, so special (in my mind, the best WR to ever play).

The point is that it's incorrect to say that Moss was just so gifted that he stepped on the field and accomplished what he did without trying. He was an elite WR in technical terms as much as he was in athletic terms.
There are other components of athleticism that are not tested. Components apart of speed, quickness, and change of direction.

Two of the biggest are body control and balance but they are closely related. Being able to run fast, twist (your upper body only) back to the QB, jump, reach and grasp all while maintaining your speed is difficult and doesnt show up in combine stats.

Then there are other components of success including toughness. I knew a guy who had similar stats. I'd estimate him at 6'2 220 who ran a 4.40. He quit a div 2 school as a freshman because "getting tackled hurt too much". This is extreme, but you have to be fearless as a WR to be effective.