Assistant Coach Tracker

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know, I did call them important. I don’t think he’s getting a top dollar FA contract so I think that will give us a chance to retain him. If he is kept I’m guessing it will be done before FA starts and nothing will move until we know the final staff. Could make or break where someone wants to play

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's the most you would pay for him?

50 billion dollars.

Naw I'm kidding.

Breeland had signed a 8/year contract with the Panthers.

I'd be comfortable going 5-8 on a 3 year, team option for the 3rd year. Would definitely prefer we not go over 7 a year, but I probably would go slightly over.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Personally, I hope we don't see the Packers spend yet another high pick on CB, too many years of doing it with only Alexander seemingly being the only winner of the group. Maybe a new coaching staff will help, so you continue to develop what we already have, bring back Breeland and if you see a guy you like in Free Agency and is affordable, grab him or wait for the draft and then in the 5th or 6th grab a project.

This team needs linebackers, at least 2, if not 3, I really want to see both Free Agency and the draft finally target that need.

H

HardRightEdge

I know, I did call them important. I don’t think he’s getting a top dollar FA contract so I think that will give us a chance to retain him. If he is kept I’m guessing it will be done before FA starts and nothing will move until we know the final staff. Could make or break where someone wants to play
He we are, not replying again. Or shall we say the selective non-replay. Oh, well

"Top dollar" is $13 - $15 mil per year for a CB. There is a huge gap between top dollar all the way down to affordable.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He we are, not replying again. Or shall we say the selective non-replay. Oh, well

"Top dollar" is $13 - $15 mil per year for a CB. There is a huge gap between top dollar all the way down to affordable.
How about, I don’t know? Acceptable? He’s a player I’d like to keep. It was a simple statement while acknowledging that the money would be important

H

HardRightEdge

For me-- probably around 6M or so.
I'm guessing that's the right number give or take, probably 3 years.

He's got black marks now that discount his 3 years/$24 mil voided Carolina contract . Not disclosing his injury to Carolina, reinjuring that old childhood heel injury, and missing time with the Packers with a hamstring makes his story less clean than before. Nonetheless, one would expect competition for his services. Getting solid across all 3 CB positions is a priority these days and is not particularly easy to do without betting the ranch. Solid mid-priced guys of a certain age are accorded good value.

At least he fits my general profile: a second contract guy, or close to it in this case, where at least there's a multi-year runway of prime years.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm guessing that's the right number give or take, probably 3 years.

He's got black marks now that discount his 3 years/$24 mil voided contract. Not disclosing his injury to Carolina, reinjuring that old childhood heel injury, and missing time with Packers with a hamstring makes his story less clean than before. Nonetheless, one would expect competition for his services. Getting solid across all 3 CB positions is a priority these days and is not particularly easy to do without betting the ranch. Solid mid-priced guys of a certain age are accorded good value.

At least he fits my general profile: a second contract guy, or close to it in this case, where at least there's a multi-year runway of prime years.

Hopefully he liked playing for Pettine enough to take a deal before he's on the market, getting bid on.

H

HardRightEdge

Hopefully he liked playing for Pettine enough to take a deal before he's on the market, getting bid on.
Here's what Breeland said not long after signing with the Packers:

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay...reeland-signed-less-than-1-million-122562466/

“To me, it’s not really about the money. I lost a lot of ball. I lost OTAs and I lost camp to get better,” Breeland said. "So right now, I’m just trying to take it all in. I’ve got a chip on my shoulder because I want to come in and step into that role of being the player that I was. I’m not in a situation to do that right now, but I do have a chance to re-change the market, and that’s my motivation right there. Not the market of being paid, but it’s more the market of becoming a Pro Bowl-caliber player.”

Somehow I don't believe he separates re-establishing his reputation, if not quite to Pro Bowl-caliber, with what he thinks he should be paid. That last statement sounds like a guy correcting himself so as not to sound like a jerk.

H

HardRightEdge

This team needs linebackers, at least 2, if not 3, I really want to see both Free Agency and the draft finally target that need.
There is something to be said for upgrading the generally overlooked ILB position. It strikes me there is as much risk in thinking Burks' light will go on as in counting on King.

On thing I noticed in watching KC and the Rams yesterday was how they really pressure the off-the-ball LBs. Albeit a 4-3, Smith and Vander Esch really struggled understanding what they were looking at with all of that motion/jet sweeps/fake jet sweeps. It got so bad they benched Vander Esch for the old, slow, experienced Sean Lee while a coach was reading VE the riot act on the sidelines. KC got All Pro Darius Leonard betwixt and between throughout the first half.

I don't see any need to replace Martinez, but Morrison was no answer and Burks progressing is a risk. Burks was gradually getting more snaps after being out the first two weeks, peaking at 28 snaps in weeks 6. After the bye they shrunk down to 18 snaps over the last 8 games. You expect rookies to have difficulties buy you would want them to at least progress to a situational role by the end of the season. Burks, like Josh Jones at the position, went backwards as the season progressed.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Jags are hiring George Warhop to coach their OL. He has been the OL coach in Tampa for the last few years. They've been in talks with Monken. This could signal that they're closing in on him as their new OC, which would obviously mean he's not coming to Green Bay. It also probably means that Kubiak, who has also been connected to them, is not ending up there (the whole reason he split with Elway was over control of the offensive staff).

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we can't low-ball guys in free-agency. it's Green Bay after all. if they want someone they have to add money. it's going to have to be market-value+...maybe ++. it's not like they're a player away and can be picky. it's not rodgers in his prime. it's a rebuilding, losing team.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I really hope the reason Jacksonville seems to be angling towards Monken and not Kubiak is because Kubiak is come here... that would be so great. Supplement Petals' inexperience with a SB winning head coach who no longer wants the big chair but who has been running the same offense for 20+ years.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Here's what Breeland said not long after signing with the Packers:

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay...reeland-signed-less-than-1-million-122562466/

“To me, it’s not really about the money. I lost a lot of ball. I lost OTAs and I lost camp to get better,” Breeland said. "So right now, I’m just trying to take it all in. I’ve got a chip on my shoulder because I want to come in and step into that role of being the player that I was. I’m not in a situation to do that right now, but I do have a chance to re-change the market, and that’s my motivation right there. Not the market of being paid, but it’s more the market of becoming a Pro Bowl-caliber player.”

Somehow I don't believe he separates re-establishing his reputation, if not quite to Pro Bowl-caliber, with what he thinks he should be paid. That last statement sounds like a guy correcting himself so as not to sound like a jerk.

Yes, it would seem more likely that he tries to make up for lost income with the biggest contract possible. And who can blame him?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Either...

Campen wanted to move up and angle towards a HC job down the road, which wasn't going to happen in Green Bay, and they decided they would rather replace him than have a holdover who didn't want to be there.

Or

Petals didn't feel he was the best fit for the offense and prefers someone else.

Or

Both.

In any case, he's been a fantastic OL coach and I hope he has a great rest of his career.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Monken winds up in Cleveland. Frankly, that makes way more sense given his philosophy and how it meshes with Kitchens, but it would have been cool!

Members online

Latest posts