Assistant Coach Tracker

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I just have to love the PC world we live in. Teams telling players or coaches "you are free to pursue other jobs." Isn't this the same as......

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Matt LeFluer going to work today.....

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Actually, Spriggs was drafted 2nd round in 2016, but Campen can't be expected to make wine out of p*ss and despite costing the Packers....3 picks, easy to forget. ;)

I may have overstated what I was trying to say. I think Campen has been a really solid coach, no doubt there, but you only keep him if he IS STILL viewed in that light. Like Murphy stated yesterday, no more complacency. So I assume if he is retained, he is still viewed as doing a great job with the OL and if he isn't, then either he wanted out or the Packers FO sees a drop in his coaching performance.

You're right, and that's my oversight.

Reaction score
Also the Bears lost Fangio to the Broncos. Wonder how much that will affect their defense.
I was wondering the same thing.
That bits when a successful coach moves on.
Like when Holmgren took Fritz Shermer with him to Seattle before Shermer became ill and left the game.

This is one side of a great football team we forget besides having quality players under contract, is losing proven successful coaches.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Matt LeFluer going to work today.....

Lol. I totally mentioned to my wife last night that he looks like Ryan Reynolds. She is suddenly more interested in the Packers.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My wife is going to watch more press conferences this coming year then i've watched in my life

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far if the news out of Green Bay is Correct, the bold names are in so far:

Offense
  • Joe Philbin — Interim head coach/offensive coordinator
  • James Campen — Offense-run game coordinator/offensive line
  • Jim Hostler — Offense-pass game coordinator
  • Brian Angelichio — Tight ends (received offer to stay under LaFleur)
  • Frank Cignetti, Jr. — Quarterbacks
  • Ben Sirmans — Running backs
  • David Raih — Wide receivers
  • Jeff Blasko — Assistant offensive line
Defense
  • Mike Pettine — Defensive coordinator (reportedly agreed to stay in 2019)
  • Patrick Graham — Defense-run game coordinator/inside linebackers
  • Joe Whitt, Jr. — Defense-pass game coordinator
  • Jerry Montgomery — Defensive Line (reportedly expected to stay in 2019)
  • Jason Simmons — Secondary
  • Jay Hayes — Assistant defensive line
  • Scott McCurley — Defensive assistant
  • Ryan Downard — Defensive quality control
Special Teams
  • Ron Zook — Special teams coordinator
  • Maurice Drayton — Assistant special teams
I hope you keep this tracker up to date. It is really helpful. Thanx.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I hope you keep this tracker up to date. It is really helpful. Thanx.

I will try, but heading up to Green Bay to interview for some new job opening I was just contacted about, something about running a "Special Team"??? My boss at McDonalds isn't going to be happy if I quit!

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
@TomSilverstein
Former Jacksonville OC Nathaniel Hackett is on #Packers coach Matt LaFleur’s radar. He was fired in November but he had the task of trying to run an offense with QB Blake Bortles and is well-respected. Lions are also interested.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Per Tom Pelissero, Shanahan so far seems unlikely to let Mike McDaniel leave his staff.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I wonder if Hackett is a fall back in case McDaniel is a no go, or if they are hoping to get both.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t expect to see Whitt go until LaFleur makes his decision on pettine. I woulda thought we were going to hear something on pettine today.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would show Whitt the door regardless of whether Pettine is around or not. His players mostly play with poor and sloppy technique, he makes excuse after excuse for them instead of calling them out and he does not teach them how to take down a ball carrier.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would show Whitt the door regardless of whether Pettine is around or not. His players mostly play with poor and sloppy technique, he makes excuse after excuse for them instead of calling them out and he does not teach them how to take down a ball carrier.

I've noticed Charles Woodson vehemently disagrees with anyone that spouts off this narrative on twitter. I wonder what he sees that others don't.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I've noticed Charles Woodson vehemently disagrees with anyone that spouts off this narrative on twitter. I wonder what he sees that others don't.
Because he is a hof, has seen his share of coaches, and know what works?

I think Witt might have been handcuffed in what he wanted to do

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because he is a hof, has seen his share of coaches, and know what works?

I think Witt might have been handcuffed in what he wanted to do

Definitely makes me second guess the consensus opinion around here. I don't think I've seen a player vouch for a coach as much as he does for Whitt on social media.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I am kind of skeptical of fan ability to assess most position coaches. I'm not a Whitt apologist but I'm also not really sure how we would be able to definitively say that he's lousy.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe he just became friends with Whitt and is taking up for a pal. The lack of results we’ve seen around here for many years is pretty undeniable.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I am kind of skeptical of fan ability to assess most position coaches. I'm not a Whitt apologist but I'm also not really sure how we would be able to definitively say that he's lousy.
I get what you are saying, but can we necessarily say with 100% confidence he is good or any of the coaches are "good or bad"? Some thought Capers was good, MM, etc. But eventually, they didn't prove themselves worthy of staying, due to the results on the field. I am still looking for current information that convinces me that Whitt is actually a good coach, because what I am seeing on the field, doesn't prove this to me. Information that doesn't include "because Charles Woodson thinks so".

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I get what you are saying, but can we necessarily say with 100% confidence he is good or any of the coaches are "good or bad"? Some thought Capers was good, MM, etc. But eventually, they didn't prove themselves worthy of staying, due to the results on the field. I am still looking for current information that convinces me that Whitt is actually a good coach, because what I am seeing on the field, doesn't prove this to me. Information that doesn't include "because Charles Woodson thinks so".

No, what I'm saying is that when it comes to particular position coaches, how can we discern what falls at their feet versus their coordinator's?

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
No, what I'm saying is that when it comes to particular position coaches, how can we discern what falls at their feet versus their coordinator's?
True, more layers, but still not something a HC or GM shouldn't be able to keep an eye on and be able to figure out, unless of course, they are part of the problem too. Seems like the Packers organization are peeling their onion, starting from the inside out?

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Good question. With some of the good backs that have left via free agency or trade (Hyde, Hayward, Randall to name a few), it definitely begs the question who is at fault for not getting the most out of these guys? Are they out of position? Poorly coached? Bad technique?

Tough to say who deserves the bulk of the culpability for that.