1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ashwaubenon Packers ??

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Robert Mason, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Robert Mason

Robert Mason Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +138
    I believe the property under Lambeau Field was at one time part of Ashwaubenon. If you look at a map the property is surrounded by Ashwaubenon on three sides. What a horrible name that would have been. ( Ashwaubenon Packers !!).

2. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +567
    They are the Green Bay Packers playing at Lambeau Field of Ashwaubenon.;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,627
    Lambeau Field is in the city of Green Bay. IIRC, the city annexed the land from the township to build City Stadium on. Later the township incorporated into a village to deter further property loss from the tax roles.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,230
    Most NFL stadiums seem to be outside of the metro area the team calls home ... but yeah, that would be one helluva albatross of a name...

5. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,312
    The city name is of Ojibwe origins, and the Packers honor the Oneida Nation with the main gate to Lambeau. But if we were the Ashwaubenon Packers, wouldn't a headline "Bears get Ashw-ipping" be great?

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Raptorman

Raptorman Vikings fan since 1966.

Ratings:
    +1,005
    Besides, most people who don't live in the area can't pronounce it correctly. I can hear the talking heads on TV killing it.

7. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,230
    It seems to me that a few years ago, the Oneida (or some troublemakers within the tribe) were making gurgling noises about wanting all of the land "stolen" from them returned... including but not limited to the parcel of land now called Lambeau. I had to kind of smile because it was about the time that John Bergstrom was lobbying Walker and the State of Wisconsin pretty hard to have the wetlands area reclassified so that Cabella's could be built -- as usual, Bergstrom won -- I'm sure he has Walker's ear ... because he's rich. ;)

8. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    Well now I'm embarrassed for you weeds. Implying that money has anything to do with politics! Tsk tsk.

9. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,230
    I know... Innuendo such as that could ruin a politicians career. I should be more careful and concerned for their feelings. I'm humbled...at my own indiscretion.