Some Packer History

Reaction score

Jim Taylor, Vince Lombardi, Paul Hornung and Bart Starr celebrate in the locker room after the Packers defeated the Giants in 1961.​

This photograph was taken shortly after the end of the 1961 NFL Championship Game on December 31, 1961. The game pitted the Western Conference champs, the Green Bay Packers, against, the New York Giants, the Eastern Conference champions. It was held at Green Bay’s New City Stadium which is now called Lambeau Field. Packers players Paul Hornung, Ray Nitschke, and Boyd Dowler were granted a leave from the military to participate in the game. Good thing, too. Hornung scored one touchdown, three field goals, and four extra points to lead the Packers to a 37 to 0 victory.

Attachments

• AA1dU3x7.jpg
    AA1dU3x7.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 67
Reaction score

Jim Taylor, Vince Lombardi, Paul Hornung and Bart Starr celebrate in the locker room after the Packers defeated the Giants in 1961.​

This photograph was taken shortly after the end of the 1961 NFL Championship Game on December 31, 1961. The game pitted the Western Conference champs, the Green Bay Packers, against, the New York Giants, the Eastern Conference champions. It was held at Green Bay’s New City Stadium which is now called Lambeau Field. Packers players Paul Hornung, Ray Nitschke, and Boyd Dowler were granted a leave from the military to participate in the game. Good thing, too. Hornung scored one touchdown, three field goals, and four extra points to lead the Packers to a 37 to 0 victory.
I get wanting to be comfortable, but Is he not wearing pants in that photo?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get wanting to be comfortable, but Is he not wearing pants in that photo?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
I was at that game, with a friend, whose Grandfather had been the Packers President. Had a great time, and ended up at a fantastic dinner, sitting next to Lombardi and Starr. Believe it or not, I didn't ask for one autograph, but got them all, including coaches, and the dignitaries there, in a great book. Worth? Priceless to me. I don't care if it's worth $5, or $50,000. It's something that will stay with me until I'm gone.

Anyhow, that's one of the things that makes me smile quite often.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
While I didn't notice Taylor, because that's not how I'm wired ... heh heh heh. Did anyone notice Hornung standing there with a smoke? ... and moreso, the hand he's holding the nail in, is that dirt or the ugliest contusion to a hand that I've ever seen? I thought at first that Taylor had a dog **** (cigar) in his mouth, but on closer inspection, it appears to be missing teeth.

Could you imagine the public uproar if one of the game's superstars today would be caught smoking cigs on the street, much less the locker room? That picture contains enough imagery to set the "special people" off in one big ol' heartbeat. Might explain why Bart looks so apprehensive. Story goes that Phil Bengston used to roam the sidelines with a smoke in his mouth the entire game - until someone must have asked him to stop. I'm not being critical. I'm not above nailing one down out in my garage (which Momma still criticizes about but, damnit, it's my freepin' garage. I keep my tools in there) and my wife gripes on me about it - you'd think she caught me in a compromising act with her cat or something but, that's a different story for a different day. :roflmao:

Anyway, a sign of the times, eh? Back then, supposed doctors used to be in cigarette ads extolling cigs health benefits. Finally all cig ads were barred (and pharmaceutical company ads, formerly barred, were allowed - go figure. I'm sure both generated ad revenue that wouldn't quit).

I once saw a pic of Nitschke sitting in the locker room after a game without a shirt on, and I have to say that even in his prime, Ray was NOT "ripped". His "six pack" was definitely a kegger.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I didn't notice Taylor, because that's not how I'm wired ... heh heh heh. Did anyone notice Hornung standing there with a smoke? ... and moreso, the hand he's holding the nail in, is that dirt or the ugliest contusion to a hand that I've ever seen? I thought at first that Taylor had a dog **** (cigar) in his mouth, but on closer inspection, it appears to be missing teeth.

Could you imagine the public uproar if one of the game's superstars today would be caught smoking cigs on the street, much less the locker room? That picture contains enough imagery to set the "special people" off in one big ol' heartbeat. Might explain why Bart looks so apprehensive. Story goes that Phil Bengston used to roam the sidelines with a smoke in his mouth the entire game - until someone must have asked him to stop. I'm not being critical. I'm not above nailing one down out in my garage (which Momma still criticizes about but, damnit, it's my freepin' garage. I keep my tools in there) and my wife gripes on me about it - you'd think she caught me in a compromising act with her cat or something but, that's a different story for a different day. :roflmao:

Anyway, a sign of the times, eh? Back then, supposed doctors used to be in cigarette ads extolling cigs health benefits. Finally all cig ads were barred (and pharmaceutical company ads, formerly barred, were allowed - go figure. I'm sure both generated ad revenue that wouldn't quit).

I once saw a pic of Nitschke sitting in the locker room after a game without a shirt on, and I have to say that even in his prime, Ray was NOT "ripped". His "six pack" was definitely a kegger.
My Dad, back in the really old days, stood on the Packers sideline at mid-field. He'd always have at least a couple of hip flasks in his pockets. Players, coming off the field would stop and talk to him, and have a snort. Things were good, in those days. It was their pain-killers. Certain players always made sure he had a ticket waiting for him at the entrance. I don't know why? ;)

Members online

Latest posts