Asante Samuel

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What would you trade for Asante Samuel?
He's a good zone corner, not man-to-man.

Would you rather use a 3rd, 4th, 2nd round pick on a CB a la a Pat Lee, Brandon Underwood, Ahmad Carroll, Joey Thomas, Davon House, or would you prefer to part with a mediocre draft pick for Samuel, knowing he's gonna get paid like a 1st round pick?

NationalFootballPost@FootballPost

#NFL Report: Eagles still looking to trade Asante Samuel: For the second consecutive offseason, Eagles corner... http://bit.ly/H2zlr4

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Asante Samuel maybe the worst tackling defensive back in the NFL. Our tackling really
took a step back last year and I don't think he would be a good addition.

I think our secondary will play much better in '12. Tramon, Sam Shields, Morgan Burnett,
Davon House, etc. are still young players and having another year of experience should help.
Last year was pretty much Morgan Burnett's rookie season since he missed most of the '10
season due to injury.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would just like the Packers to go back to playing more man coverage. Williams and Shields are better man corners than zone corners. Collins is the glue of the seconary that allows the Packers to play man coverage.

With that being said, I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Terrance Newman. Newman was cut by the Cowboys and still hasn't been signed. He might come cheap and rejuvenate his career as a thir corner.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What would you trade for Asante Samuel?
He's a good zone corner, not man-to-man.

Would you rather use a 3rd, 4th, 2nd round pick on a CB a la a Pat Lee, Brandon Underwood, Ahmad Carroll, Joey Thomas, Davon House, or would you prefer to part with a mediocre draft pick for Samuel, knowing he's gonna get paid like a 1st round pick?

Nothing. I'd let the guys we have develop and only take a flier on Samuel if he's released and he comes cheap should no other team decide to over pay for his services. There's more upside in risking a draft pick on a rookie than there is in signing a guy you know isn't all that good to begin with.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For $20 mil the next 2 seasons? Doesn't seem like its very logical with who we have coming up as free agents.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd give up a 5th for him, seeing as we'll probably get one as a comp pick..however he would have to take a pay cut
I agree..... I'd go as high as a 4th rounder though.
Asante will be taking a paycut whoever takes him.

Nothing. I'd let the guys we have develop and only take a flier on Samuel if he's released and he comes cheap should no other team decide to over pay for his services. There's more upside in risking a draft pick on a rookie than there is in signing a guy you know isn't all that good to begin with.
Not in agreement. Forget about upside. What upside was there in 2nd rounder Pat Lee? Or Brandon Underwood? Joey Thomas? Davon House, etc. Maybe House develops into a guy who they will dress, who learns from his mistakes, who gets better, ala a Tramon Williams (although TWill was horrible last year).

But the odds of our CB draftees helping in year 1 or 2 are, realistically, very slim. Unlikely. I don't know what you define "upside" as, but I know they said Justin Harrell had a high upside too.

This team doesn't need more guys who will develop in 2 years. We need some help now on defense and we're where we could dominate the league for 2 years with this offense and the contracts we have with Jordy, J-Mike, J-Jones, Cobb, Jennings when he re-signs.

Samuel would thrive in this scheme if we get any help for Clay.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I watched most of the Eagle games this past season. Asante Samuel cannot tackle. No thank you.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I think a 4th is reasonable. Yes he's an abysmal tackler, but what corners aren't? He's more talented than any defensive back we currently have on roster besides Woodson and still it's close. In fact I'd still argue he's a top 5 corner in this league.

I read this article a while back and they pointed out this stat about Samuel during the 2010 season

With a QB rating of 29 when targeted, Samuel ranks first in the league of all CBs who have played at least 50 percent of snaps

Samuel would be a marketed improvement over our current DB's. If he's willing to be reasonable, why not? Character may be a tad questionable but he's a tremendous player and I think quality play would make us forget quick about that. He'd fit great in our scheme being more of a zone corner. He likes to read the QB and make plays on the ball which our defense already has an affinity for.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched most of the Eagle games this past season. Asante Samuel cannot tackle.
Are you sure you aren't confusing him with all our corners last year?
Tramon, Shields, Lee, House, Underwood.... I think their tackling rate was lower than Andrew Bogut's 3-point shooting percentage.

Sounds like Samuel would fit in right in.
But seriously, we DO need stronger corners.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For $20 mil the next 2 seasons? Doesn't seem like its very logical with who we have coming up as free agents.
Nobody will trade for him with intentions of paying anything near that. Dude will be taking a paycut, and liking it.
Washington perhaps?
Dallas?

Might end up released.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Tramon, Shields, Lee, House, Underwood.... I think their tackling rate was lower than Andrew Bogut's 3-point shooting percentage.

HOW CAN YOU SAY THEIR TACKLING WAS POOR??? They were usually chasing the WR from 10 yards behind and never even attempted a tackle...;)

I get your point. I guess I want more corners who can tackle. Like Woodson. Is that too much to ask?

SEWICHEESE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody will trade for him with intentions of paying anything near that. Dude will be taking a paycut, and liking it.
Washington perhaps?
Dallas?

Might end up released.

I don't see him taking a pay cut till he's released and is forced to sign for much less with some other team. No one is gonna trade for him with the $ he's making now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts