Arrogant General Managers

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
it follows a cycle...how can we replace favre...I hate Rodgers...I love Rodgers..How do we replace Rodgers...I hate love... & repeat changing names as needed.
I never hated Favre for taking over for Majik, nor Rodgers for taking over for Favre and if Love takes over for Rodgers, same thing. It is football and you move on. I am thankful that we got as many seasons as we did out of Favre and Rodgers, but if they start second guessing playing football in Green Bay, then its time to move on from them. The good news with Rodgers, if we play our cards right, we actually could come out from underneath him with some decent draft picks and a manageable salary cap.

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The good news with Rodgers, if we play our cards right, we actually could come out from underneath him with some decent draft picks and a manageable salary cap.
It would be nice to have something for our trouble. When we traded Favre, we didn't really get jack. Some toys and prizes would ease the pain some.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The latest talking head clip I watched guessed Drew Lock and 2 # 1s. I hope they get more than that. I have read some of the asking prices on here that have just been ridiculous. My thoughts are 2022 1 & 2 as well as a 2023 #1 + a defensive starter.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to rehash the Favre drama, but let's imagine that we had done what some thought we should have then... Kept Favre and let Aaron walk...

The natural thought being that given GB penchant for draft and develop, we would have sought out a qb on the high end of the draft sometime after, between 2009-2012...

Here is a list of the QBs drafted in the 1st during that timeframe:

2012:
1. Andrew Luck, Stanford, Colts
2. Robert Griffin III, Baylor, Redskins
8. Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M, Dolphins
22. Brandon Weeden, Oklahoma State, Browns
___
2011:
1. Cam Newton, Auburn, Panthers
8. Jake Locker, Washington, Titans
10. Blaine Gabbert, Missouri, Jaguars
12. Christian Ponder, Florida State, Vikings
___
2010:
1. Sam Bradford, Oklahoma, Rams
25. Tim Tebow, Florida, Broncos
___
2009:
1. Matthew Stafford, Georgia, Lions
5. Mark Sanchez, USC, Jets
17. Josh Freeman, Kansas State, Buccaneers

Now, assuming we kept drafting not top 5 overall... We would have given up on a known (albeit limited) commodity in Rodgers to get one of these gentlemen. Yuck.

Again this is assuming we weren't trading for a qb, but that's not really how GB rolls, so chances are we would have one of these guys at the helm vs Aaron.

The point being that I believe we made the right call then not giving into Favre, and believe we are doing the right thing now not giving into Aaron. Eventually these guys will leave, retire or stop playing well and you have to move on.

If you have faith that your "guy" is the next guy, then you have to trust your system, and stick to your gameplan on staying competitive.

They should of kept Favre for just 2008 after the NFCCG loss for one more run at the SB with a team who was about as close as you can get...that would of allowed them to keep Rodgers still as he was on 5 year deal (capW)

Theyd still have Rodgers and they could of still traded Favre for draft capital prior to the 2009 draft when his value would of been highest. I'd have traded him to the Vikings straight away for 3 firsts... if as you say they were confident Rodgers was the guy then that's what the Packers would of done too. But clearly they were not evidence: drafted Brian Brohm in 2nd round

greenbaidwin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some fans I talk to say the past and present Green Bay Packer GM's see them as arrogant?
Ron Wolf
Ted Thompson
Brian Gutekunst

Not so much Ron Wolf, but T. Thompson when fans felt he couldn't wait to see Favre out the
door and his pick Rodgers as our QB.

Same with B.Gutekunst, does he want his draft pick J. Love starting instead of Rodgers???

With Gutekunst , only the next couple months will tell.

Food for Thought
I think arrogance is comes with the position. Not in a bad way, They were all picked for the job for a reason, decisiveness. It would be sad to have a G.M. that bows to everyone else's whims.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Imagine, thinking you know more about your job it's taken years/decades to grow in than someone who's never spent a single hour doing it. The ****ing audacity!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't trust a origination that had two (2) HOF QB's and have only
two SB's, what a waste.

The Patriots and their recent memory run has created some incredibly void of reality fanbases in the NFL. Winning a SB is not as easy as I am betting you believe it is. We all hate that we didn't or haven't won more with Favre and Rodgers, arguably though GB was a legit and bonafide SB contender/Divisional contender for more years than anybody else. This doesn't happen with an organization that is poorly ran.

OP
OP
Wi. Mike now in Florida
Reaction score
But the organisation will be there long after those two are just names in the HOF, and were long before they came along. Obviously we see things different.
I was referring to the Packer origination in the Favre and Rodgers years and the
chief mucky mucks put in the position that didn't realize the talent we had in camp.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was referring to the Packer origination in the Favre and Rodgers years and the
chief mucky mucks put in the position that didn't realize the talent we had in camp.

In what occurrences, please be specific, did the organization not know or realize the talent they had in camp? You're talking about an organization that literally saw the talent in Rodgers enough to draft him before nearly everyone felt they should have....such fools.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're talking about an organization that literally saw the talent in Rodgers enough to draft him before nearly everyone felt they should have....such fools.
On the other hand, they drafted for defense nearly ten straight years and still couldn't field a decent one.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the other hand, they drafted for defense nearly ten straight years and still couldn't field a decent one.

Um....sorry will refute that all day long saying couldn't find a decent one in last 10 years....let's go clear back to the draft after Aaron and list the first two round of picks of each draft:

2006 - AJ Hawk (1st), Daryn Colledge (2nd), Greg Jennings (2nd) ---Three perennial starters for multiple contracts for the Packers, with AJ being on the defensive side of the ball. Only knock AJ had was he was never All Pro...if he was a second round pick folks would remember him entirely differnt...but only a fool IMO says not decent.

2007 - Justin Harrell (1st) and Brandon Jackson (2nd)...abysmal first two rounds IMO. Only saving grace of draft came in later rounds (Jones, Crosby mainly). Second swing on defense for sake of this discussion and we are 1-1 out of two drafts.

2008 - No defensive guy taken early. Still 1-1 for decent or better.

2009 - BJ Raji (1st) and Clay Mathews (1st)...Folks forget how good Raji was, albeit for a small window of time. Mathews freaking stud and arguably was one of the best defensive sack pressure threats in the league for a couple seasons. Honestly if keeping track by 1st round defensive hits and misses this would be two hits making us 3-1 over four...with all better than even just decent - only Raji I will hear an argument on considering "decent" for overall what he gave being shorter lived.

2010 - Bulaga (1st) and Neal (2nd)...Neal is the definition and the first guy that came to my mind as a decent hit in "early" rounds for us. Never could stick, showed excellent signs of why we were high on him in 2012, showed up in 13' and 15' was solid as well. 4-1 for decent defensive guys or better, with only firsts being 3-1

2011 - No defensive guys taken.

2012 - Nick Perry (1st) and Jerel Worthy/Casey Hayward (2nd)...I see two decent NFL picks, and Worthy who would have been decent for a Day 3 but definitely doesn't fit decent for our discussion. Puts us overall at 5-2 in first two rounds and 4-1 in the first round so far for decent or better defensive picks.

2013 - Datone Jones (1st) Lacy (2nd)....same as the Harrell pick. Still shocked he is on a roster as of 2020, presently I think somewhere too. Makes us 5-3 overall and 4-2 in the first.

2014 - Ha Ha (1st) and Adams (2nd)...Ha Ha was not a first round pick, but he is a decent defensive player. By far the weakest of the so far IMO "decent" christenings. Matter of fact I'll give this one as a toss. so 5-3-1 overall and 4-2-1 in the first.

2015 - Damarious Randall (1st) and Rollins (2nd)...Rollins without question a bust. Randall is nothing special at all but is a decent player hence why he is and still will be on a roster - I view him like Ha Ha personally but know most will say not decent so we will say now 5-4-1 overall and 4-3-1 in the first.

2016 - Kenny Clark (1st) and Spriggs (2nd)...Clark is a BEAST. A MOTHERF****** BEAST. WIN, should be worth two. 6-4-1 overall and 5-3-1 in the first

2017 - No first round picks but King and Jones (2nd). I see decent (King) and decent (Jones). I wouldn't have said decent for Jones except for his redemption season last year with Jax. 8-4-1 and 5-3-1 in the first.

2018 - Jaire (1st) and Josh Jackson (2nd)....See comment about Clark for Jaire and add +100. Jackson is undetermined if he will become decent but right no listing as a no. So 9-5-1 overall and 6-3-1 in the first.

2019 - Gary (1st) and Savage (1st)....easy to see they're decent at worst in the NFL....hopefully will be similar to Jaire and Clark comments eventually. 11-5-1 overall and 8-3-1 in the first.

2020 - No defense

2021 - Stokes (1st)...no one knows yet.

So since 09' we have had 12 first round defensive picks.
Two bonafide massive busts in Harrell and Jones.
Two arguably decent at best but not worth first rounder in Ha Ha and Randall for sure.
FREAKING STUDS in Jaire and Kenny...with Clay honestly deserving as well.

Sorry I 100% believe you are wrong here.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry I 100% believe you are wrong here.
You can say that if you like, but I want to point out I didn't say they didn't draft any decent players. I said they didn't field a decent defense. Admittedly, that's a bit overstated, but the defense has mostly stunk since the last Super Bowl. Despite spending most of their early draft capital on defense.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2017 - No first round picks but King and Jones (2nd). I see decent (King) and decent (Jones). I wouldn't have said decent for Jones except for his redemption season last year with Jax. 8-4-1 and 5-3-1 in the first.
That was a lot of good work in your post. For the most part it was pretty spot-on. However, i couldn’t let this go. King has been decent one season out of four, and injured for large swathes of the other years, that’s bad, if not quite bust . I also don’t think you can determine a player’s draft value for the team that drafted him by looking at his performance elsewhere; for the Packers, Jones was an absolute bust.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Patriots and their recent memory run has created some incredibly void of reality fanbases in the NFL. Winning a SB is not as easy as I am betting you believe it is. We all hate that we didn't or haven't won more with Favre and Rodgers, arguably though GB was a legit and bonafide SB contender/Divisional contender for more years than anybody else. This doesn't happen with an organization that is poorly ran.

The point that the organization didn't fully take advantage of having HOF quarterbacks starting for nearly 30 consecutive seasons.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was a lot of good work in your post. For the most part it was pretty spot-on. However, i couldn’t let this go. King has been decent one season out of four, and injured for large swathes of the other years, that’s bad, if not quite bust . I also don’t think you can determine a player’s draft value for the team that drafted him by looking at his performance elsewhere; for the Packers, Jones was an absolute bust.

The discussion I was addressing was whether the player was decent or better, not was the pick decent or such. That would be an entirely different approach on reflecting.

It also would seem that rmontro meant one thing and I thought another which prompted my post.

In all seriousness though looking back on the drafts our defensive coordinators in that span deserve a hefty amount of blame IMO.

Latest posts