Are you happy now that Javon is gone ??

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont know why everyone is so happy that Javon is gone. I havent been on here very long but im sure that everyone loved him 2 years ago when he was one of the best receivers in the league. I know that I considered him a top 5 receiver in the league back then. For soooooo long, Javon is exactly what we(Packers) and brett desperately needed.

Its funny, we have money for chronically injured overrated players like Charles Woodson. What a slap in the face to Javon it must have been to see Woodson given all that money and respect froma team he never even played for. We can give a boatload of money to a rookie who has never played an NFL down. But, we cant seem to "take care" of our own guys. Javon was our guy. He was proven. He was going to be a superstar and most likely still will be one. With a healthy Javon we could have had a shot at the playoffs last year. I know one player dosent make a team but.........you have 2 receivers on the field. If you only have to worry about one of them, the other receiver suffers as well as the running game.

We got a 2nd round draft pick for Javon. Would you trade Randy Moss, Chad Johnson or Harrison for a 2nd unproven draft pick who might not even make the team. Greg Jennings might be pretty good but he will never equal Javon in "play making" capabilities. Playmakers are what make an offense explosive, not a bunch of decent receivers can catch the ball.

If you want to say "honor your contract" than fine. How many other great pros have held out. Emmit Smith is just one example. Other players in similar situations to Javon dont have to deal with this. The team just recognizes that they need to keep their guys happy and they pay them before the contract even ends. How many guys can you name that have had their deals redone before the contract ended. Why couldnt the GBP have done that? We needed a big time playmaker for Favre for soooo long and we gave him away for a player who might not even start on our weak offensive line.

So, basically the best we can hope for this year is to be a pretty good team that might make the playoffs. With Javon, i think we would be one of the 3 best teams in the conference with a Superbowl shot. Thats all we will be this year unless Rod Gardner/Underacheiver can finally realize his potential.

Keep in mind, im not saying this to trash the packers or Brett Favre for saying what he said about Javon even though you dont put your teammates out there the way Brett did to Javon. Your still my fav player Brett but you should have said nothing. Ive been a Packer fan for much longer than alot of you im sure, since 1991. Nobody loves the Pack more than me.

Thats all i have to say, now you can start throwing rocks at me, go ahead.

OP
OP
F

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Btw, i wrote this because i think all the Javon bashing is out of control. Trust me, Minnesota, Chicago and Detroit were very very happy to see Javon leave.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree except the part about Brett. Chicago, Detroit and Minn are as happy to see Javon go to Denver as we were to see Randy Moss go to Oakland.

You will be ripped for this post, because some here feel TT can do no wrong.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i LOVED walker in 2004, but that one season doesn't give him the golden ticket to be a ******. would i be happy if he didn't ****** out and was still playing for the pack? absolutely. could this have been avoided if, like depack has said in the past, TT handled things differently? maybe. i'm glad he's gone now, after all this, because i think he would have continued to cause problems. now, he's going to sign a 5 year 40 million dollar deal with denver, and if you go out and read some articles, all the AP writers think the broncos are just as crazy as many on this site think they are for paying javon that kind of many. i hope he busts, but that is purely for spite, because i take the packers very personally, but that's just me and i'm not saying that is fair of me to feel that way.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im not throwing rocks...sure he had potential, but he only had one good year!

other than that one good year he was no better than a rod gardner- or marc boerighter. he also played on a good team and had a very hard to guard reciever on the other side of him in Donald Driver. the kid is speedy and talented but he showed out and you cant have emotional ties with a kid that had one solid year. it just doesnt make good business sense. would i like to have seen it work out... sure, but it didnt and im ok with it.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i wouldn't say i'm "happy" that javon is gone. i'd have been a heck of a lot more "happy" if he would have honored his contract! yes, i know alot of other players pull this "i had one good year so now i'm worth zillions" crap - i wasn't happy with them either. please tell me that you're not attempting to compare emmitt smith's career with javon's - that would be a tad overboard.

i've said several times that i wish javon no ill will. if he lights it up in denver, i say - more power to him. it would have been nice of him to just leave & not open up his big mouth trashing everything Green Bay but i think that just shows his level of class.

gbcheese1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Moss was traded for a bust linebacker Napoleon Harris, and a 7th round pick. We actually received a 2nd, 3rd, and 5th for Javon after trading down the pick that we recvd. for him. I think we got the better deal. Moss is a proven better player than Javon hands down. Im happy to see him go, you can't have punks like him on a team and win. Look at TO and the Iggles.

OP
OP
F

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
i LOVED walker in 2004, but that one season doesn't give him the golden ticket to be a ******.

Like i said, i havent been on here for more than 2 months so maybe i missed some things. That said, my viewpoint of walker was this.

Before last year, he wanted his contract redone. He didnt go to the media and blast teammates and the team and demand 75 million dollars. He took blasts from Brett and he never retaliated. He decided to show up to the team anyway because he has some integrity. Then he got injured and at that point the Packers would definitely not renegotiate. Tell me where im wrong please.

What examples do you have of Javon being a "cancer" and a "******". What did he say about the team and about teammates? Because, as far as i know, he pretty much handled it low key and classy.

gbcheese1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What examples do you have of Javon being a "cancer" and a "******". What did he say about the team and about teammates? Because, as far as i know, he pretty much handled it low key and classy.

You must not keep up on the Packers or watch sportscenter then.
He said Bubba was unhappy and wanted out the day before they announced Bubba's big signing. Right before he was traded he said the same thing about Driver, which Driver basically said was a lie and he never said that. He said he would never play for the Packers, etc..

He didn't handle it within the organization, he handled it in the media with his devil agent, not the right way of doing things. The kid is a punk!

OP
OP
F

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gbcheese1 said:
Moss was traded for a bust linebacker Napoleon Harris, and a 7th round pick. We actually received a 2nd, 3rd, and 5th for Javon after trading down the pick that we recvd. for him. I think we got the better deal. Moss is a proven better player than Javon hands down. Im happy to see him go, you can't have punks like him on a team and win. Look at TO and the Iggles.

We didnt get a 2,3 and 5. Flat out, we got a second round (36th pick) for him.

We traded that 2nd rounder for other picks. So, the VALUE we got was a second round pick. What we decided to do with that second round pick is irrelevant. We could have just as easily done all those trades with our own second round pick (37th).

Comparisons to Randy Moss are funny.

Randy Moss leaves the field early before the game is over.
Randy moss talks trash about his coaches publicly.
Randy Moss talks about his quarterback publicly.
Randy moss cant run routes.
Randy moss is Alvin Harper from the 90's cowboys with more speed, thats all. Without another great receiver on the other side, his effectiveness goes way down.

I say, theyre lucky they got anything for that piece of trash.

OP
OP
F

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gbcheese1 said:

You must not keep up on the Packers or watch sportscenter then.
He said Bubba was unhappy and wanted out the day before they announced Bubba's big signing. Right before he was traded he said the same thing about Driver, which Driver basically said was a lie and he never said that. He said he would never play for the Packers, etc..

He didn't handle it within the organization, he handled it in the media with his devil agent, not the right way of doing things. The kid is a punk!

What i mean is this, what did he do before the beginning of last season and during the season. What he says now and recently is irrelevant because there is bad blood present and he's saying anything he can to get out of Green Bay.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He demanded top 5 reciever money when he straight up hasnt been a top 5 reciever other than one year. He said he would retire before playing for the Packers again. He hasn't been low key at all. The Packers hands were forced, there was nothing else that could of been done. They have made mistakes before in giving players that had performed well large raises and it is understandable that they wanted to wait until he was in his last year of the contract to renegotiate, and his getting hurt and being so public about everything most likely ruined that chance. It is good to see him go because who wants a player on their team that doesn't want to play?

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am torn on this too, but it's done. So I'll wish for success for Javon in Denver. Should he never return to form, I'll probably be happy about it in a sick kind of way.

I didn't know that Javon was not a team player, but apparently his contract handling speaks for him.

Mostly, I'm happy that someone other than Sherman is handling this team and I have hope because the reports are that the players respond well to MM.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
flapackfan said:
bozz_2006 said:
i LOVED walker in 2004, but that one season doesn't give him the golden ticket to be a ******.

Like i said, i havent been on here for more than 2 months so maybe i missed some things. That said, my viewpoint of walker was this.

Before last year, he wanted his contract redone. He didnt go to the media and blast teammates and the team and demand 75 million dollars. He took blasts from Brett and he never retaliated. He decided to show up to the team anyway because he has some integrity. Then he got injured and at that point the Packers would definitely not renegotiate. Tell me where im wrong please.

You have missed a lot. Last year he said that he would hold out because GB wouldn't even discuss a new contract. He folded after TO folded and came to camp.

This offseason he said that he'd retire before playing for GB. He said he hated it there and that he would never play for GB again.

TT had a choice to make: sit on this player and force him to play in order to become a FA next season, or trade him for an early 2nd round pick to a non-rival team. TT decided that the trade provided enough value that it was worthwhile to dump Walker instead of deal with a potential cancer/distraction to the team.

The best situation would have been TT discussing Walker's future immediately after the season ended. Basically let him know that once he shows that he's healed from the injury, GB will take care of him by signing him to a new/fair contract during the season. This wasn't done, while at the same time Walker watched the still injured Green sign a very nice new contract.

No, I don't think that GB got equal value for Walker. To me, Denver should have included an additional pick in the 3rd-5th rounds. That would have been closer. In the end though, it was better to get rid of the distraction.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with this deal is that if you gave into Walkers demand of getting the new contract then others on the fence would be wanting to do the same thing. Mutiny in the ranks. TT could have handled this vey differnetly but chose not to until it became too big to negotiate without any ripple effects. I liked Walker during the 04 season as well, but boy did he grow a chip during the off season. Yes we need that talent, but no we do not need that ego/attitude. By TT saying get the F out of here, oh with 5 new additional faces, he's letting all the players know on this team that we are all for one and one for all and if you're not on the same page, you better get on the page. Donnel Washington may soon be facing the unemployment line next.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He wouldn't of played for us anyway. He would've came in week 10 and played then. We would've of gotten nothing for him then.

Now he turned into 5 picks which is as best as you can ask for out of a WR with ONE good year and an ACL injury.

Talent wise it was a blow but Walker is someone we don't need cancer wise when we're rebuilding and we have a new coaching staff in tact. I think it ws the best move they could make.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The original post is off target immediately with the assertion that "everybody is happy" that Javon is gone. I think almost everyone realizes that he's a very good player, and we wish this whole mess had never happened. Once Walker demonstrated a punk attitude, all Thompson could do was damage control, by trading him.

A high second round pick is much better than I thought we would get for him. The Packers do not extend contracts on demand when a player has two or more years remaining on the contract. That's not an unusual policy in the NFL. Thompson was right to stand firm on this one, so as not to set a bad precedent.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said...

The best situation would have been TT discussing Walker's future immediately after the season ended. Basically let him know that once he shows that he's healed from the injury, GB will take care of him by signing him to a new/fair contract during the season. This wasn't done, while at the same time Walker watched the still injured Green sign a very nice new contract.

This is the problem that I have with the way TT handled things...Why wasn't this done?

This isn't going to go away if Walker lights things up in Denver and GB's Passing game suffers because teams double-team Driver and the other Packer receivers don't "step up"....

The "Walker trade" will blow up in TT's face all over again....

I think he should have made an attempt to negotiate with him instead of "hard-lining" with him a year ago...

Look what happened anyway...Javon got his way and got traded anyway...TT could have avoided this whole mess if he would have handled this thing a little "smarter"...

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Bobby Roberts said...

This is the problem that I have with the way TT handled things...Why wasn't this done?

This isn't going to go away if Walker lights things up in Denver and GB's Passing game suffers because teams double-team Driver and the other Packer receivers don't "step up"....

It's going to blow up in TT's face all over again....

I think he should have made an attempt to negotiate with him instead of "hard-lining" with him...

Look what happened anyway...Javon got his way and got traded...TT could have avoided this whole mess if he would have handled it a little "smarter"...

I can tell you why this wasn't done. During the middle of the season Javon Walker made up his mind that he did't want to be a Green Bay Packer. Reported by ESPN as well.

There isn't much he could've done. You can make the most of it or get nothing at all. We made the most of it. Nobody wanted to see this happen with Walker. Just like nobody wanted Sterling Sharpe (who is a class act on and off the field) to get hurt. It happened though.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Walker had talent, and let it go to his head. Antonio Freeman had ONE good year too, and look what it cost the Packers. IF Walker would have came in, shut his big mouth and PLAYED well THIS year, he could have asked and got whatever he wanted. But he wanted it BEFORE he proved he deserved it in my view. Denver was willing to take that chance. It could end up costing them more then he's worth......time will tell.
He has talent, but that doesn't make him any less of a putz.

gbcheese1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said...

Quote:

The "Walker trade" will blow up in TT's face all over again....

I think he should have made an attempt to negotiate with him instead of "hard-lining" with him a year ago...

Look what happened anyway...Javon got his way and got traded anyway...TT could have avoided this whole mess if he would have handled this thing a little "smarter"...

I find it funny everybody seems to know what goes on behind closed doors. How do you know TT didn't try to do this. It was reported before the draft that he was in discussions with Javon. Javon had his mind made up well before that he wanted out. For all we know he could have done it after the season was over.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your right GBcheese...........Walker was already ticked off about it before this season. I think he had his mind made up no matter what.

Did any of you here Walker say he would be GLAD to play with Favre as his QB, as long as it would have been anywhere but GB. I saw him on TV last night say that. Now he's buddys with Favre??? :roll:

OP
OP
F

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The bottom line is this. Contracts are made to be broken. It happens all the time and it allways will. Renegotiations are very common. The Packers "hard line stance" just cost us the best receiver we've had since Sterling Sharpe.

Guys like this dont come around very often and they take a few years to develop. Teams dont ever let them get away unless they continually disrespect coaches and quarterbacks and organizations like T.O. and moss.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
flapackfan said:
The bottom line is this. Contracts are made to be broken. It happens all the time and it allways will. Renegotiations are very common. The Packers "hard line stance" just cost us the best receiver we've had since Sterling Sharpe.

Guys like this dont come around very often and they take a few years to develop. Teams dont ever let them get away unless they continually disrespect coaches and quarterbacks and organizations like T.O. and moss.

ive never heard that before.... now promises, rules and record,,,, those are made to be broken, contracts are legal documentation bonding two sides in an agreement.

just come back and redo this post after javon proves himself to be a solid reciever... he had one good year and all of a sudden hes sterling sharpe. ill punch you in the ovaries for making that connection. i havent even heard any report about how his rehab is going and if hes up to game speed yet..... he may not be at all.... screw it... im happy hes gone

OP
OP
F

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
flapackfan said:

ive never heard that before.... now promises, rules and record,,,, those are made to be broken, contracts are legal documentation bonding two sides in an agreement.

just come back and redo this post after javon proves himself to be a solid reciever... he had one good year and all of a sudden hes sterling sharpe. ill punch you in the ovaries for making that connection. i havent even heard any report about how his rehab is going and if hes up to game speed yet..... he may not be at all.... screw it... im happy hes gone

Lol, thats why i said SINCE Sterling Sharpe. Sterling was in Jerry Rice's class back in the day. Please dont punch my ovaries. It must bethe "time of the month" for you so i understand :).

As far as contracts go, everyone knows that they are renegotiated ALL the time. Its called showing loyalty to your guys, guys that are difference makers. Now if DD, Ahman Green, Bubba Franks or KGB held out, we could afford to stonewall them because they are ALL easily replaceable. Javon is not, and if healthy, you will see what i mean this year in denver and definitely next year and beyond.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts