Are you going to keep watching football?

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those Packer Fans that seem to think that the season was a complete waste and that the Packers not winning a SB is totally unacceptable, this is a good read for you. Yeah, it sucks to field a really good team and then come up a play or 2 short, but if a Super Bowl win and only that, defines your view of success, you are going to be completely disappointed more than you are satisfied.

I wouldn't say the season was a complete waste. It was a successful regular season, with quite a few exciting victories. Obviously the postseason was not successful.

The disappointment I feel isn't as much about the loss to the 49ers, as it is about the past 11 seasons. Understandably things like ST gaffes can happen in individual games that prevent you from advancing in any particular year. But to make it to 9 postseasons in 11 years, with a supposedly GOAT-level QB, you would think they could break through to the Super Bowl in at least one out of those 9 opportunities. The Packers D hasn't always been good during that time, but can't Rodgers carry the team on his back just once? How about some 400+ or 500+ yard games like Brady had against the Falcons and the Eagles. I realize Brady lost to the Eagles, but at least he kept them in the game until the very end. Brady rarely gets blown out in the playoffs, unlike Rodgers.

Phil Young

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To borrow from Newcastle Unired fans who once put up a banner at St. James Park. NUFC fans held up a banner “we don’t demand a team that wins. We demand a club that tries”

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll probably always watch professional football. But except for the Pack; it needs to be convenient for me. Like in my house. Don't want to go to the bars that much. An example: I still like BBall. But the regular season just does not mean much to me anymore. Don't even watch in the house except bites. But I like watching the playoffs. And I can see a lot of the good players doing that. But probably to the point more; I was not that motivated to watch this year after the Pack got eliminated.

Reaction score
I guess I view each game as entertainment on an individual basis. Then I view the season as the Package of entertainment. While it is disappointing if and when the Packers don't make the playoffs or get knocked out, that doesn't change my previous experiences of all the other games. I view games after the regular season as bonus games for Packer fans. Of course a playoff game, is a lot more entertaining than a regular season game and a SB game is more entertaining than a playoff game. So yes, a loss in either of those 2 scenarios is less entertaining than a regular season loss, but it still doesn't cancel out the experience of that one game or the games before it, win or lose.

I was talking about this with a buddy. I brought up Game of Thrones, a series we both watched and loved. The final episode of GOT was considered a failure by many and it kind of was a let down, after such a great series, to end it with a thud. However, I still loved and recommend the series and would watch it again, despite the bad ending.
Exactly how I thought about the Walking Dead until the infamous “Lucille” episode. It just never recouped its original feel. However that first several seasons was an incredible success. They took it too far and once the levy was breached there won’t no patching the damage done.

I love my Packers. But most of what I love is my memories of watching games in my Dads man cave through his 70’s. Getting family together (sometime them coming from WI) and experiencing that atmosphere. Going to sports bars and meeting my 2 brothers and Dad there and ordering Nachos and Sime cold ones. I’d trade a SB for that again in a heartbeat. It’s just football folks, our relationships threaded through those games are far more important.

Now that that’s behind us. Y’all a bunch of CRAZY mugs! :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those Packer Fans that seem to think that the season was a complete waste and that the Packers not winning a SB is totally unacceptable, this is a good read for you. Yeah, it sucks to field a really good team and then come up a play or 2 short, but if a Super Bowl win and only that, defines your view of success, you are going to be completely disappointed more than you are satisfied.

The only place in sports where second and third place matters and gets rewarded is in the Olympics.
Packers and all other teams that come up short is still not enough.
Sure, we had a great season but to be ending like this for years between SB wins is not good enough.

Phil Young

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will watch Packers as always. Difficult to watch American sports over here. Football is becoming more popular though so getting easier to watch

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only place in sports where second and third place matters and gets rewarded is in the Olympics.
Packers and all other teams that come up short is still not enough.
Sure, we had a great season but to be ending like this for years between SB wins is not good enough.
I don't recall anyone saying it was good enough.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't recall anyone saying it was good enough.
Really? Well, as always, things are subjective, and semantics can be a problem. Are you saying nobody directly stated that the season's result was 'good enough' or that nobody said (among other things) that this was a successful and/or enjoyable season/outcome?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really? Well, as always, things are subjective, and semantics can be a problem. Are you saying nobody directly stated that the season's result was 'good enough' or that nobody said (among other things) that this was a successful and/or enjoyable season/outcome?

I was under the impression that is what Pokerbrat was suggesting in the post I was responding to.

I don't recall anyone saying this season, or any past season was good enough. I don't recall anyone saying they were satisfied with the outcome. Some said it was a successful season, some said it was a good season, some even said they had a great season and some said they were entertained, but I am sure to a person everyone was at least a little disappointed in the result. That tells me they did not think the season was good enough.

To me, good and good enough mean two very different things. Good is just that, they had a good season, they went 13-4 even with a lot of injuries to star players. They were competitive even in the games they lost (with the exception of week 1). It doesn't mean it was perfect or that you didn't wish the outcome was different it just means it was a good season. A good enough season is one that you are satisfied with, yeah, maybe the outcome could have been better but hey, this is all they could manage so that's good enough. I'll take it.

Everyone wants the superbowl but if it doesn't happen that doesn't mean we can't get enjoyment out of or find success in the season. And if we do get enjoyment out of it even though they didn't win the SB it doesn't mean we were satisfied with the end result.

Like you said HE, its part semantics and very subjective but that's what I was talking about in our earlier exchange of posts. Where you said you didn't like people telling you how you should feel and I said it cuts both ways. Sometimes I get the feeling that when one of us says I think they had a good season someone is ready to come back with "oh, so you think the season was good enough"

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't say the season was a complete waste. It was a successful regular season, with quite a few exciting victories. Obviously the postseason was not successful.

The disappointment I feel isn't as much about the loss to the 49ers, as it is about the past 11 seasons. Understandably things like ST gaffes can happen in individual games that prevent you from advancing in any particular year. But to make it to 9 postseasons in 11 years, with a supposedly GOAT-level QB, you would think they could break through to the Super Bowl in at least one out of those 9 opportunities. The Packers D hasn't always been good during that time, but can't Rodgers carry the team on his back just once? How about some 400+ or 500+ yard games like Brady had against the Falcons and the Eagles. I realize Brady lost to the Eagles, but at least he kept them in the game until the very end. Brady rarely gets blown out in the playoffs, unlike Rodgers.

So you think the season was good enough eh? ;););):D:D:D

As I typed that this is what I was thinking https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/07788c14-9457-4c67-8fc8-6255ce25bd8d

and I hope that's what you were thinking when you read it.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't recall anyone saying this season, or any past season was good enough. I don't recall anyone saying they were satisfied with the outcome. Some said it was a successful season, some said it was a good season, some even said they had a great season and some said they were entertained, but I am sure to a person everyone was at least a little disappointed in the result. That tells me they did not think the season was good enough.

To me, good and good enough mean two very different things. Good is just that, they had a good season, they went 13-4 even with a lot of injuries to star players. They were competitive even in the games they lost (with the exception of week 1). It doesn't mean it was perfect or that you didn't wish the outcome was different it just means it was a good season. A good enough season is one that you are satisfied with, yeah, maybe the outcome could have been better but hey, this is all they could manage so that's good enough. I'll take it.

Everyone wants the superbowl but if it doesn't happen that doesn't mean we can't get enjoyment out of or find success in the season. And if we do get enjoyment out of it even though they didn't win the SB it doesn't mean we were satisfied with the end result.

Like you said HE, its part semantics and very subjective but that's what I was talking about in our earlier exchange of posts. Where you said you didn't like people telling you how you should feel and I said it cuts both ways. Sometimes I get the feeling that when one of us says I think they had a good season someone is ready to come back with "oh, so you think the season was good enough"
Fair enough. I asked a question in order to clarify, and you answered it. Now maybe we can start discussing what a 'real fan' is. :)

Phil Young

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A real fan supports the team on the field. Critisises when needed & does not accept players or team or back office or coaches who are not trying. I'd rather a team that tries than have a talented team that doesn't care.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yup.
Exactly.

Oh sure we are rooting for a team rich in history, a great legacy, glory days and the most championships out of all other NFL teams.
But those bragging rights start to fade after a decade of playoff losses.
I mean, their winning days are becoming ancient history or they will be in the next few years if we do not win another SB by that time.
Sure, we can brag but non Packers fans will not care and they will have a point when they bring up current winners.
I still have pride in this team and will defend that pride. Just that it gets harder to show something when it isn't there.

Phil Young

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't live on the glory of the past.

Italy (Rome) had an empire. So did Uk.

Newcastle United won things in 1950's. Last major trophy Newcastle United won was inter city fairs cup in 1969.

I am old enough to remember THAT win & I'm 58

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers D hasn't always been good during that time, but can't Rodgers carry the team on his back just once? How about some 400+ or 500+ yard games like Brady had against the Falcons and the Eagles. I realize Brady lost to the Eagles, but at least he kept them in the game until the very end. Brady rarely gets blown out in the playoffs, unlike Rodgers.

It's not surprising Brady threw for a ton of yards in the games you mentioned as he threw the ball 62 and 48 times respectively. In addition both Rodgers and Brady have lost a total of four playoff games by more than one score.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not surprising Brady threw for a ton of yards in the games you mentioned as he threw the ball 62 and 48 times respectively.
Rodgers could have a lot more pass attempts in some of these playoff games if he didn't go 3-and-out so much.

In addition both Rodgers and Brady have lost a total of four playoff games by more than one score.
So then Rodgers has been blown out more than twice as often as Brady, given that Rodgers has played in 21 playoff games, and Brady has played in 47 playoff games.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Rodgers could have a lot more pass attempts in some of these playoff games if he didn't go 3-and-out so much.

So then Rodgers has been blown out more than twice as often as Brady, given that Rodgers has played in 21 playoff games, and Brady has played in 47 playoff games.

I'm actually done discussing about it with you. For some reason you think that a future HOF quarterback is the only one to blame for the team not having won another Super Bowl since 2010 and there's nothing I can do to change your mind.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm actually done discussing about it with you. For some reason you think that a future HOF quarterback is the only one to blame for the team not having won another Super Bowl since 2010 and there's nothing I can do to change your mind.
I have already said that Rodgers isn't completely to blame. But he is the only constant over the past 11 seasons, so I think he deserves more blame than most people here are willing to give him.

It's a team game, but still the QB gets all the credit when things go well. The MVP almost always goes to the QB. Does Rodgers win 4 MVPs if he didn't have Adams? Maybe not. So when things don't go well, the QB should get a lot of blame, especially if the offense only scores 10 points.

Members online

Latest posts