Are We in the Beginning Stages of a Top 5 All Time NFL Defense?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
good question. I think we need another piece of the puzzle, maybe a woodson replacement for things to be that good.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here now.
I like our defense, but we have one great OLB, and a bunch of average other OLBs, or below average.

Imagine a great pass rusher opposite Matthews?

The DL really looks outstanding, as long as we can keep Jenkins.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the three teams you listed all had a HOF MLB. Thats something that we are strongly lacking.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Jenkins is a free agent?

Jolly I think would need to be reinstated and also might be a free agent

That is if everything with the CBA is fixed

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
I don't think we have the makings of a top 5 defense, but don't let that downplay how damn good our defense is playing right now. We have a lot of backups in there too.

Chop0Suey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure, I think it's definitely possible. We have some very strong young players in Collins, Matthews, Raji, Neal, and Williams. If some of those other young guys can step up, and if we have some more strong drafts, maybe sign a FA or two, then this D could easily be in the top 5 for years.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Top 5 all time?!?

No. Just..... no. It amazes me sometimes how people overrate some facets of our team.

2nd in scoring defense is certainly great. But 14th in total yards allowed per game. 25th in 3rd down conversion percentage.

OP
OP
aaronqb

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Top 5 all time?!?

No. Just..... no. It amazes me sometimes how people overrate some facets of our team.

2nd in scoring defense is certainly great. But 14th in total yards allowed per game. 25th in 3rd down conversion percentage.

You are right. We are just OK

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
lets look at it this way. we have a good defense this year but if somehow we pull thru and win the super bowl u can expect some of these older guys to retire. mainly woodson

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know about all time.

What I do know is that, watching last night's game, and watching the Steelers and Bengals game...

We have a front 7 (WITH CLAY) that rivals anyone in the league, but our secondary, mainly the CBS are WAY better than anybody else's.

It was an absurd that the Ravens had Josh Wilson covering Roddy White all the time. Really? That guy wouldn't even suit for the Packers.

And TO murdered the Steelers, to a point of almost comeback.

The Giants' D is good, their front 7 is the best in the league against the pass IMHO, but their secondary isn't as good as ours.

I believe we have the best D in the league, talent wise.

(Talent wise is a HUGE deal, because everything with the Packers is talent wise. Sometimes they just don't materialize the talent on the field. But I hope these days are over).

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Anybody else believe that Clay Matthews out there makes everybody else better!? I sure as heck do. Just watching him play, makes other guys want to elevate their game. This D is playing with Swagger now, and I LOVE seeing that.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we have the best secondary in the league, woodson,tramon,shields,collins,bigby and peprah but i dont think they are jellin together feeding off each other. i also think where missing one piece to the puzzle another good OL

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we have the best secondary in the league, woodson,tramon,shields,collins,bigby and peprah but i dont think they are jellin together feeding off each other. i also think where missing one piece to the puzzle another good OL
ugh we have alread play enough oline man on defense this year!

I think at the end of the year everone will be talking about the packers defense being #1 this year. Look how beat up we were the first half of the seaon playing without clay and only 2 d linemen if we were lucky we would have 3 lol. The d line is getting healthy now and crushing the run and controling the los allowing our linebackers go get the qb. Like some have already said we have the best secondary in the nfl. we a allowing 15.9 points a game, WHAT 15.9 points a game with all that we have lost???? thats crazy wow. I dont care about how many yards we gave up, How many of those yard have been garbage yards? how beat up have we been this year? I can see with us getting healthy on d and our offense not going 3 and out everytime now. That 15.9 could go down to 12 :wow: Home field thoughout here come the PACKERS!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
aaronqb

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree - the missing piece is another good OLB. Maybe next year's #1. If you are an opps DC, how do you attack this defense in 2011:

DE: Cullen Jenkins. Has been the team's best DL for the past few years. Racking up sacks even with a club on his hand

NT: BJ Raji. Has stepped it up huge this year. Great run stuffer. Can also rush the passer and pushes the pocket. Tremendous strength
DE: Mike Neal. Stronger than an ox. Growing into a good pass rusher. Can push the pocket
OLB: Clay Matthews. Best defensive player in the league and getting better
ILB (pick 2): Nick Barnett, AJ Hawk, Desmond Bishop. None are great, but all are above average
OLB: 2011 draft pick. Hopefully, another pass rusher to complement Matthews
CB: Tramon Williams. Getting recognized as one of the top cover corners in the NFL
CB: Sam Shields. 4.2 speed with cover skills. Studies and learns from Woodson and Collins. Growing by leaps and bounds midway through this second season as a CB. By next season, could be another great cover corner
S: Charles Woodson. Moves to S from corner. DPOY in 2009; great ball instincts and tackler. Leader.
S; Nick Collins. Two-time Pro Bowler. Great cover skills and ball instincts. Fast for a safety.

Where is the weakness? I don't see it. Granted, a few things need to fall into place and we need to avoid injuries, but Capers' cupboard is WELL STOCKED.

Oh, and on the bench ... Burnett, Wilson, Pickett, Jolly (?), Zombo, Jones, Underwood, Chillar

I like the Woodson move to safety also. For LB, unless Hawk agrees to less $$$ next year, he's gone
:Worried: Signing bonus and re-up for 4-5 years:Clueless: I would like to see Barnett moved outside to take advantage of his quickness and pursuit speed. That leaves Bishop and Hawk inside without guessing on a rookie.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I agree with whoever mentioned another OLB. We are closer than people may think. If Ted Can nail another Clay for the opposite side of him... Top 5 all-time.. is easily in the picture.. Are you kidding me, I can't even imagine it, lol.. But easier said than done, of course.

Members online

Latest posts