1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Are We in the Beginning Stages of a Top 5 All Time NFL Defense?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by aaronqb, Nov 11, 2010.

1. aaronqb

aaronqb Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +73
    It could happen. Woo hoo!

2. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    good question. I think we need another piece of the puzzle, maybe a woodson replacement for things to be that good.

3. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves here now.
    I like our defense, but we have one great OLB, and a bunch of average other OLBs, or below average.

Imagine a great pass rusher opposite Matthews?

The DL really looks outstanding, as long as we can keep Jenkins.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    the three teams you listed all had a HOF MLB. Thats something that we are strongly lacking.

5. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,481
    Jenkins is a free agent?

Jolly I think would need to be reinstated and also might be a free agent

That is if everything with the CBA is fixed

6. Incubes12

Incubes12 Bay Harbor Butcher?

Ratings:
    +317
    I don't think we have the makings of a top 5 defense, but don't let that downplay how damn good our defense is playing right now. We have a lot of backups in there too.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chop0Suey

Chop0Suey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +16
    Sure, I think it's definitely possible. We have some very strong young players in Collins, Matthews, Raji, Neal, and Williams. If some of those other young guys can step up, and if we have some more strong drafts, maybe sign a FA or two, then this D could easily be in the top 5 for years.

8. Jess

Jess Movement!

Ratings:
    +473
    Top 5 all time?!?

No. Just..... no. It amazes me sometimes how people overrate some facets of our team.

2nd in scoring defense is certainly great. But 14th in total yards allowed per game. 25th in 3rd down conversion percentage.

• Like Like x 1
  9. aaronqb

aaronqb Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +73
    You are right. We are just OK

10. Jess

Jess Movement!

Ratings:
    +473
    Woodson isn't going to be here all that much longer. And he's a HUGE part of what we do.

11. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,422
    lets look at it this way. we have a good defense this year but if somehow we pull thru and win the super bowl u can expect some of these older guys to retire. mainly woodson

12. gatorpack

gatorpack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +171
    :fool: :nono:

13. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    I don't know about all time.

What I do know is that, watching last night's game, and watching the Steelers and Bengals game...

We have a front 7 (WITH CLAY) that rivals anyone in the league, but our secondary, mainly the CBS are WAY better than anybody else's.

It was an absurd that the Ravens had Josh Wilson covering Roddy White all the time. Really? That guy wouldn't even suit for the Packers.

And TO murdered the Steelers, to a point of almost comeback.

The Giants' D is good, their front 7 is the best in the league against the pass IMHO, but their secondary isn't as good as ours.

I believe we have the best D in the league, talent wise.

(Talent wise is a HUGE deal, because everything with the Packers is talent wise. Sometimes they just don't materialize the talent on the field. But I hope these days are over).

14. Murgen

Murgen MechaPackzilla

Ratings:
    +585
    Anybody else believe that Clay Matthews out there makes everybody else better!? I sure as heck do. Just watching him play, makes other guys want to elevate their game. This D is playing with Swagger now, and I LOVE seeing that.

15. PackerFanLV

PackerFanLV Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +181
    I think we have the best secondary in the league, woodson,tramon,shields,collins,bigby and peprah but i dont think they are jellin together feeding off each other. i also think where missing one piece to the puzzle another good OL

16. gatorpack

gatorpack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +171
    ugh we have alread play enough oline man on defense this year!

I think at the end of the year everone will be talking about the packers defense being #1 this year. Look how beat up we were the first half of the seaon playing without clay and only 2 d linemen if we were lucky we would have 3 lol. The d line is getting healthy now and crushing the run and controling the los allowing our linebackers go get the qb. Like some have already said we have the best secondary in the nfl. we a allowing 15.9 points a game, WHAT 15.9 points a game with all that we have lost???? thats crazy wow. I dont care about how many yards we gave up, How many of those yard have been garbage yards? how beat up have we been this year? I can see with us getting healthy on d and our offense not going 3 and out everytime now. That 15.9 could go down to 12 :wow: Home field thoughout here come the PACKERS!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,422
    lets all be happy with what we got for the first time in a while. a good defense

18. aaronqb

aaronqb Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +73
    I agree

19. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,631

I like the Woodson move to safety also. For LB, unless Hawk agrees to less $$$ next year, he's gone
    :Worried: Signing bonus and re-up for 4-5 years:Clueless: I would like to see Barnett moved outside to take advantage of his quickness and pursuit speed. That leaves Bishop and Hawk inside without guessing on a rookie.

20. Mr. StyleZ

Mr. StyleZ Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +376
    I agree with whoever mentioned another OLB. We are closer than people may think. If Ted Can nail another Clay for the opposite side of him... Top 5 all-time.. is easily in the picture.. Are you kidding me, I can't even imagine it, lol.. But easier said than done, of course.

21. aaronqb

aaronqb Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +73
    We're pretty good

22. aaronqb

aaronqb Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +73
    The lineup has the chance to be GREAT