Any interest in Caleb Williams for 2024?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously, you deep dive into the personality of every draft pick, especially if you are considering spending a top 5 pick on him. I honestly don't know much about Williams personality, but the fingernail thing alone, doesn't really bother me. He explained it pretty well and for me, it isn't much of a red flag, more of a "this is a guy that goes out there and puts his game face on"...or game fingernails in this case.

Dude claimed it’s for his mom….bunch of bull. Sorry I don’t want my face of the franchise putting vulgar things on his nails constantly…immature punk mentality.

I want my opponent to lose, shoot in the midst of a play I hate them, but sportsmanship ought to always exist amongst it all.

Reaction score
After reading that I can see how it could be perceived negatively. :laugh:

He said he was trying to express himself.
Well Id say he really “nailed” it

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Dude claimed it’s for his mom….bunch of bull. Sorry I don’t want my face of the franchise putting vulgar things on his nails constantly…immature punk mentality.

I want my opponent to lose, shoot in the midst of a play I hate them, but sportsmanship ought to always exist amongst it all.
21 year old "kid", doing what kids today do to express themselves, using words that we all say or at least think. Like I said, it isn't much of a red flag to me, but it's a place to start with as to what kind of maturity level a team will get by drafting him. Now if he came into an interview all cocky, condescending and arrogant, then I want nothing to do with him.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
21 year old "kid", doing what kids today do to express themselves, using words that we all say or at least think. Like I said, it isn't much of a red flag to me, but it's a place to start with as to what kind of maturity level a team will get by drafting him. Now if he came into an interview all cocky, condescending and arrogant, then I want nothing to do with him.

Sorry excusing it because “society” is just poppy **** in my opinion.

I’m fine if folks want to pretend it is just kids being kids, but sorry I knew well before I was 21 what was right and wrong - may not have always done right but I always knew if doing wrong that it was exactly that.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sorry excusing it because “society” is just poppy **** in my opinion.

I’m fine if folks want to pretend it is just kids being kids, but sorry I knew well before I was 21 what was right and wrong - may not have always done right but I always knew if doing wrong that it was exactly that.
I have no idea how old you are, but I deal with a lot of college "kids" and yeah, that is the way things are today, like it or not. I'm not saying it's good or bad, just that it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't let this alone drop him from my board. It would make me look closer at his off the field characteristics. I have read on here multiple times how a FHOF QBs off the field antics were a deal breaker.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Someone will need him so badly that they'll ignore red flags.
Well put. There are always a handful of franchises that seem to pride themselves on grabbing every red flag they come across. Don't disturb them while they are committing franchise suicide is my motto.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Interesting conversation and a good one on "Red Flags". What is a bigger Red Flag for a team? A mechanical or physical issue that may effect a players abilities or a character flaw, legal issue, etc.?

Hard to find choir boys that graduated summa *** laude and won the Heisman, while volunteering weekly at the local homeless shelter. So how does a team classify and weight character flaws? Is a weak passing arm a bigger red flag for a QB, than him being suspended for 1 game due to undisclosed disciplinary actions? How about a guy that gets into a fight on the field VS a guy that gets into one off the field?

Obviously, everyone and every team, probably views things differently. They add up all the red flags, weight them on seriousness, frequency, ability to correct etc. and then add it into their player evaluation.

I recall when Joe Mixon was coming out of Oklahoma (2017) and he got into some off the field issues and suddenly his character was a huge red flag for many. The Bengals still rolled the dice on him and took him in the 2nd round (#48). At the time, I wouldn't have touched him with a 10 foot pole. Seems to have worked out for the Bengals, well up until now, Mixon is back in some hot water having to do with a shooting near his home, his gun supposedly being the one used, by his sisters boyfriend.

Anyway, Red Flags....they definitely mean something, just what they mean though, varies from person to person, team to team.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has the maturity of Jamarcus Russel to me at this time. He has a full year to make me reconsider and truly could.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He has the maturity of Jamarcus Russel to me at this time. He has a full year to make me reconsider and truly could.
I don't follow other teams too closely, but the Raiders have to have the worst history when it comes to draft busts, especially first rounders. Too many to count, but looking at all the Raider bust, makes me feel better about Gute's 3rd round busts.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Jordan Love doesn't perform at least adequately and it results in horrendous record, is anyone interested in drafting Caleb Williams with a top 3 pick?

Caleb Williams 2022 USC Highlights

Instead of extending Jordan Love without a definitive commitment and belief in his abilities as the franchise QB, why not reset, and allocate the money to other skill positions, specifically the O-Lines and D-Lines for the 2024 season?

Any thoughts about next year's draft in the event it's a disastrous season for Green Bay Packers?
He has every throw...including 1 he shouldn't be making. He has talent, and a big arm. Decision making tells me he's a little bit of the bad side of Favre, and the liability side of Rodgers. Top 3 pick? Absolutely not. 1st rounder, more than likely.

The guy I like is Quinn Ewers of Texas, but probably with the 2nd 1st. If he had played the whole game he would've beaten Bama, but again this is a situation where Love completely ****s the bed, which I don't think happens.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw Love roll left and throw against his body. He looked like he can do it. Though he did have a lot of time to set it up.

Reaction score
I do think we need to draft a QB more often now that Rodgers is gone. At least every 3 years or so, draft a Day 3 QB. Particularly if we have 6-7 stabs in Day 3

The only way I can see the top #1 or #2 QB prospect drafted by us in 2024 is if we were picking a top 5 overall selection to begin with due to our QB looking awful. Such as having #3 or #4 overall and moving up a few spots.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do think we need to draft a QB more often now that Rodgers is gone. At least every 3 years or so, take a stab at a Day 3 QB. Particularly if we have 6-7 stabs in Day 3

The only way I can see the top #1 or #2 QB prospect drafted by us in 2024 is if we were picking a top 5 overall selection to begin with due to our QB looking awful. Such as having #3 or #4 overall and moving up a few spots. I just don’t see it as a reality with this Defense and it’s looking more like Jordan will play adequately or better.

Personally massive fan of 6th or 7th round QB flyers every year if you have 7 or more picks in the draft…never will bug me or make me think a wasted pick.

Reaction score
Personally massive fan of 6th or 7th round QB flyers every year if you have 7 or more picks in the draft…never will bug me or make me think a wasted pick.
We used to do that more regular pre Rodgers era. If you go back we were drafting a QB almost every year. Wolf was a proponent of that methodology. Obviously he used a later 1st rounder to snag Brett in a trade, so that still fell in line with his philosophy.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We used to do that more regular pre Rodgers era. If you go back we were drafting a QB almost every year. Wolf was a proponent of that methodology. Obviously he used a later 1st rounder to snag Brett in a trade, so that still fell in line with his philosophy.
And obviously we are not accustomed to doing this.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do think we need to draft a QB more often now that Rodgers is gone. At least every 3 years or so, draft a Day 3 QB. Particularly if we have 6-7 stabs in Day 3
Did Love approve of drafting a QB? Can't believe that Gute would run Love out of town already by drafting a QB.

I don't follow other teams too closely, but the Raiders have to have the worst history when it comes to draft busts, especially first rounders. Too many to count, but looking at all the Raider bust, makes me feel better about Gute's 3rd round busts.
The Raiders have done a poor job drafting. Al Davis' cheese slipped off the ******* a bit his last few years, but he still called the shots. Ignoring the draft board and just taking the fastest player was silly. But it also had to do with hiring and firing coaches after a year or two. The last few hirings, top coaching candidates declined an interview. Knowing that Davis was bat-ship crazy and they could be fired at any time as well as the poor drafting/lack of talent made it a bad opportunity. Then they hired a TV personality who was in over his head. Sure he had scouting experience, but no management experience. The GM job is about organizing and managing more than most realize.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Did Love approve of drafting a QB? Can't believe that Gute would run Love out of town already by drafting a QB.

The Raiders have done a poor job drafting. Al Davis' cheese slipped off the ******* a bit his last few years, but he still called the shots. Ignoring the draft board and just taking the fastest player was silly. But it also had to do with hiring and firing coaches after a year or two. The last few hirings, top coaching candidates declined an interview. Knowing that Davis was bat-ship crazy and they could be fired at any time as well as the poor drafting/lack of talent made it a bad opportunity. Then they hired a TV personality who was in over his head. Sure he had scouting experience, but no management experience. The GM job is about organizing and managing more than most realize.
Isn't it funny. Here you have one of the most poorly managed teams in the NFL, yet, a City not just opens its doors to them, it bends over and grabs their ankles and shells out almost a Billion in tax payer money, just to have them come shit the silk sheets in Vegas. If the Raiders were a car manufacturer, they would have been bankrupt many years ago.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't it funny. Here you have one of the most poorly managed teams in the NFL, yet, a City not just opens its doors to them, it bends over and grabs their ankles and shells out almost a Billion in tax payer money, just to have them come shit the silk sheets in Vegas. If the Raiders were a car manufacturer, they would have been bankrupt many years ago.
The cities of Oakland and San Diego are very foolish. More so San Diego. The stats on it where the city would see over $90 million in revenues year one from the chargers. The new stadium would have cost them around $60M a year in bond funding. Over the 20 year life of the stadium, the revenue would continually increase, the bond cost would not. And one Superbowl would bring in $20M itself.

And why did San Diego vote against the plan? Because they didn't want to help build a stadium for a billionaire. The NFL and Spanos were going to pay 40%. So damn worried about a rich guy getting richer, that they turn down 10s of millions per year of easy profit. Other cities offer to build multi billion dollar stadiums with no owner input for a reason. Because it is smart and lucrative.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The cities of Oakland and San Diego are very foolish. More so San Diego. The stats on it where the city would see over $90 million in revenues year one from the chargers. The new stadium would have cost them around $60M a year in bond funding. Over the 20 year life of the stadium, the revenue would continually increase, the bond cost would not. And one Superbowl would bring in $20M itself.

And why did San Diego vote against the plan? Because they didn't want to help build a stadium for a billionaire. The NFL and Spanos were going to pay 40%. So damn worried about a rich guy getting richer, that they turn down 10s of millions per year of easy profit. Other cities offer to build multi billion dollar stadiums with no owner input for a reason. Because it is smart and lucrative.

I think there's something to that, about building a stadium for a "rich guy." Some entities have no idea what the long term future of having that franchise there means to the economy down the road.

Las Vegas has feasted on those short sighted communities, by expanding their pro sports empire. When some of us were saying it was coming, long before it happened, we were called idiots because there wasn't the "TV market" for them. Reality is, there will always be a revenue stream for them. Pro sports are realizing this, and acting accordingly.

My question is, who will get the two "new" NFL franchises, when they expand? I'm not certain I totally buy the idea of Mexico City, and someone in Europe, like London. I see places like Vancouver, BC, and the I-35 corridor, Austin to San Antonio, TX, as obvious opportunities. The fastest growing area in the US is the Texas corridor. We live in in part of the year, and it's growing so fast that it's almost impossible to keep up with it.

Reaction score
Yes
No
Maybe?
Get otta here! :laugh:

Members online

No members online now.