Another new PackersNews Premium article - Favre opinion

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Posted Jan. 22, 2006
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Mike Woods

Favre must commit for two years, or not at all

We’ve seen the flares sent up from the south. Not sure if they were warning signs, a call for help or, perhaps, just some kids getting the early jump on some July 4 fun.

Leading off was James “Busâ€

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Next up was Scott Favre, supportive brother, who suggested through the media the Packers’ hierarchy would be wise to clear their calendars, hop into the Falcon 50, make their way to Mississippi and list their top 10 reasons why Brett should not retire and return to the Packers.

If Brett NEEDS 10 reasons to come back, he should retire then.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kind of a snotty article, but I agree with his point with the two-year commitment thing. It's what I've been saying about Favre all along. It wouldn't be worth it to try and sell the farm in free agency just to get Favre back for one more season. But if Favre thinks he can stick around for two more years and possibly play with a contender in 2007, it could be worth his while. If he plays just one more year, the team will be stuck having to break in a new QB right when it is (hopefully) starting to get good again.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Post Crescent? Gimme a break. Why do these guys insist on putting their picture in their articles? Even IF the guys picture didn't look like he'd never touched a football, his written word does. Brett Favre can retire anytime he wants EVEN if he promises them two more years. Should they ask for the same promise from everyone else?

If TT is tired of waiting on Favre or needs a two year guarantee then just cut him......if he has the balls.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett has earned the right to ask "What's in it for me."

He has that right more than any player I can think of at this moment in the history of the NFL. He has given his all, and I mean "HIS ALL" to this team, organization, and fan base.

If anyone here, or even over there, can tell me what more this man could have done for the Packers.... Well then I will buy you beer for the rest of your life.

He has given "His All" up until NOW.

Now.... This brings us NOW! This moment, and at this moment he owes the FANS, not the organization, but his FANS something.

He owes his fans this.

Step up Brett, step forward, and do not let your Brother talk for you, to us the people who love and cherish every moment you stepped between the goal lines, talk to us, your fan base that has loved you as much as any fan base has ever ever loved a Q.B. in the N.F.L.

Personally, I am not interested what your brother has to say.

R.P.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Posted Jan. 22, 2006
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Mike Woods

Favre must commit for two years, or not at all

There is absolutely no reason for Thompson — who’s made it clear he fears free agency as much as a stray pit bull — to move all his chips in for one guy for one year.

I hope for Mike's sake he never makes a trip down to the World Series of Poker because the guy could never win it with this attitude. Hey, I did not use the poker analogy. :roll: Sounds like the kind of guy that would take draw after draw and bleed his stack to death in hopes of hitting the Nuts.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WinnipegPackFan said:
I hope for Mike's sake he never makes a trip down to the World Series of Poker because the guy could never win it with this attitude. Hey, I did not use the poker analogy. :roll: Sounds like the kind of guy that would take draw after draw and bleed his stack to death in hopes of hitting the Nuts.

Winnipeg,

Play a game of crib with your family.

This whole poker rage is being fueled by these iddot' on ESPN 2 It is the most idiotic thing I see on T.V. These idiot's wearing glasses upside down, hoods and glasses or what ever are moron's. 90 % of these poker hero's are gamblers who spent time in jail, left children with out child support, and are sick from a moral stand point.

I am serious... They are the losers of life becuase they have an addiction.

What the hell are these people and poker doing on ESPN 2?

Ooops... Sorry Ryan, I got a little off track here.

Steelers 10-3 Go Pit!

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The poker craze bothers me too. I'm seeing more and more children put down the baseball gloves, hockey sticks, football, ect. after school, and pick up the poker chips. That it's promoted as a sport makes me sick to my stomach.

GO INACTIVITY, ADDICTION, AND DEBT!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Next up was Scott Favre, supportive brother, who suggested through the media the Packers’ hierarchy would be wise to clear their calendars, hop into the Falcon 50, make their way to Mississippi and list their top 10 reasons why Brett should not retire and return to the Packers.

If Brett NEEDS 10 reasons to come back, he should retire then.

word, naked baby

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree - the article's comment about Brett stating out loud (publicly) that he's in it for the next two years... and then, ..done - would be the way to handle this and get the Press to .. just shut up! Seriously guys - Brett has a few more years than that left on his Contract. Two more years (Bruce?) would bring down how much the Packers Org would have to absorb, when he finally does leave...? Quite a bit, correct? The contract was for ten years and 100mil, if my Alzheimer's isn't too strident (on a good day). Brett should just slam the door on the Press - and play football.

That part about how the Packers "have to" go to... Mississippi.. is still wrong.
How many 'other' Players do you see Teams handling their QB's that way?
Culpepper's asking for more money now - should the Owner travel to where he lives?

I think not. --- Brett keeps sayin' how he's no different than any other Player...
Well, dag gum it - PROVE IT - Come back to Green Bay - and make the annoucement at Lambeau Field.

One way or the other.... it's only fitting!

rmayer32

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
That part about how the Packers "have to" go to... Mississippi.. is still wrong.
How many 'other' Players do you see Teams handling their QB's that way?
Culpepper's asking for more money now - should the Owner travel to where he lives?

I think not. ---

Agreed, that is one of the biggest things I'm sick of hearing. The man is either going to play or not play, no flying down to his house is going to be the factor to change that course IMO.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i dont think brett is asking them to come down,i think they are doing this on their own in hopes of getting him to come back,and letting him know what the game plan is,the only person who should speak for brett is his agent,i think brett will come back and look what they are saying about hasslebeck wonder no more why they are in the s.b. depending on whagt they say to brett give the guy a chance pressure is not a good thing and you tend to make rash desions so let the guy take some time,to clear his head i'm sure there are other things in his life not just foootball.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL requires commitment and dedication.

It is very tough to ask an experienced veteran for his commitment and dedication when the GM not only doesn't show any, but is seriously driving people away from the franchise.

I think Brett would like to see some commitment that the GM even cares about the 2006 team. If the GM does not want to be a winner and does not have the competitive fire then why ask others for it?

In 05 season we saw a the GM sign David Martin to a multi year deal, flounder for months on Bubba Franks, refuse to talk with Walker, make a big splash in free agency with Klemm, wait 8 months to give the coach a 2 year extension, and fire the coach 4 months later and clear out most of the staff.

If Brett is to give his all, he has a right to expect at least some effort on the part of the GM and rookie head coach to carry out their jobs with some commitment and dedication. If not playing for a winner at least play with and for people who WANT to win.

Does TED want to win at more than office politics?

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:

I don't think Ted cares all that much for Office Politics - it's a necessity to deal with; not something he searches out. At least, that's my take on his approach to things - he's pretty much politically incorrect, so far.

One thing that TT 'has done' - is get rid of the Marty-ball/ prevent football mentality... in favor of a 'go for it' approach by a younger staff. Certainly, they are untested - but, so was Mike Sherman - and in 1992, so was Mike Holmgren.

One would ask how Ray Rhodes feels, due to the fact that he only went 8-8 and they benched him....

A change was demanded - especially when reviewing Playoff scenarios....
And that's what we got - now let it play out.....

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
If anyone here, or even over there, can tell me what more this man could have done for the Packers.... Well then I will buy you beer for the rest of your life.

RP...I'm going to think long and hard about this because if I do think of something, I expect that "beer for life". :beer:

rmayer32

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:

Obviously he'd better otherwise it'll be his rear that hits the door next.

If he didn't care, he wouldn't be there. His problem is that he doesn't speak of everything all the time to set everyone at ease, but I'm certain that he wants to win as much as anyone, after all it's his future in football that he's carving out as well as the teams.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The big difference between Ron Wolf and TT as I see it is the way they handle the media. Wolf liked to shed the light on things as they were happening and it made a fan feel like they knew what was going on most of the time. TT crawls into his office cave and doesn't want to speak on anything concerning the business side of the GB Packers. It's kind of frustrating as a fan but maybe it's the thing to do professionally....

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
only tine will tell if the right choises were made which i hope they were,but you have to prove it on the feild not with your mouth.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
It is very tough to ask an experienced veteran for his commitment and dedication when the GM not only doesn't show any, but is seriously driving people away from the franchise.

Who has he run off?

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You mean to tell me, that as an interviewee for the HC position, the first question out of your mouth is " Brett coming back?" Hell, even Bates asked that last year. He signed on believing BF was going to be there even before BF formally announced it. MM, having endured a 4-12 record with a rookie QB, would not have signed on knowing that BF is gone, and only given 3 years to put together a winning team. BF will be back and yes this is my speculation and opinion, not fact.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
calicheesehead said:
You mean to tell me, that as an interviewee for the HC position, the first question out of your mouth is " Brett coming back?" Hell, even Bates asked that last year. He signed on believing BF was going to be there even before BF formally announced it. MM, having endured a 4-12 record with a rookie QB, would not have signed on knowing that BF is gone, and only given 3 years to put together a winning team. BF will be back and yes this is my speculation and opinion, not fact.

I didn't see any names in there.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Zero: I think you're mixing up your CaliforniaCheez with your calicheesehead. They are not the same guy, are they?

Sure did! See thats why I shouldn't come here when I'm at work lol ... i miss the small details lol

Sorry other cheese person who is similar to the other guy who I meant to refer to.

Members online

Latest posts