PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Walker pushing for a merit raise
Receiver wants top pay based on '04
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
[email protected]
Posted: May 13, 2005
According to Javon Walker, the Green Bay Packers have not budged on their refusal to renegotiate his contract, but that has not altered the Pro Bowl receiver's resolve to be one of the highest-paid players at his position.
Walker, in town to host his celebrity softball game Saturday at Miller Park, told the Journal Sentinel Friday evening that the Packers had not responded to proposals that he and his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, have submitted for a renegotiated contract. It has been almost three months since Rosenhaus informed the Packers that Walker wanted a new deal, but almost no progress has been made.

"There's been nothing in response," Walker said. "Their attitude is they're going to do something when they're ready."

Asked if he thought the Packers were holding firm against upgrading his contract because two years are left on it, Walker said, "Yes, I'm guessing so.

"I think it's something they're not really concerned about right now. I think it's something they want to do on their terms. I have to respect that, so I have to do what I have to do on my terms."

Walker's response to the team's refusal to address his contract has been to boycott off-season workouts, including a mandatory three-day minicamp last month. The Packers have no idea whether Walker will return without a new contract and Walker was evasive when asked several times about whether he would attend a voluntary minicamp next month or report for training camp in July.

Packers officials were not available for comment.

While back in the state, Walker has been conducting a series of interviews to get his point of view across to Packers fans, many of whom have turned against him because of his stance. Walker said he anticipated the backlash because "fans look at it from the football side."

But, he said, he and Rosenhaus have to look at it from a business side. He said his major reason for skipping the camp was to avoid an injury that would squash his chances of getting a new deal. He said careers were so tenuous in the National Football League because of the injury factor that every player has to strike when his value is the highest.

At the heart of Walker's demand for a new deal is his contention that he has established himself as an elite receiver. Walker had a breakout season last year with 89 catches for 1,382 yards and 12 touchdowns, good enough to earn him his first Pro Bowl selection.

Walker has a base salary of $515,000 with no other compensation due him this season as part of the six-year, $7.485 million contract he signed three years ago (the final year will be voided). In 2006, he's scheduled to receive a $650,000 base salary plus up to $1 million more in compensation from an escalator clause depending on his cumulative statistics over the first four years of the deal.

In his mind, his Pro Bowl season and near-league-leading statistics earned him elite status among NFL receivers and the right to demand a commensurate salary. He said teams had the right to cut players without pay if their performance slips and he thinks players have the right to ask for more when they have outperformed their contracts.

"It should be amongst the top five," Walker said of his salary. "That's how everyone bases it, to be at least in the tops. I don't think I'm even in the top 20."

Walker faces an uphill battle because he has two years left on his contract. There isn

spaulding

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So he's apparently not aware of the salary cap? I personally like how he says he was at the elite level the end of 2003. He had 1 100 game the whole season! "Walker said it only took one year for a player to prove himself. " WOW!. That's not Drew Rosenhaus telling him that is it. Me thinks the 8 on the Wonderlic was no accident.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. the comparison to a soldier in Iraq was pretty hilarious and Kellen-like.

2. Drew is a real *****, but ultimately this is all on Walker. i don't buy that "Drew is making him think a certain way" BS...thats almost like letting his impatient *** off the hook. Walker knows exactly what he's doing.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
1. the comparison to a soldier in Iraq was pretty hilarious and Kellen-like.
I didn't find any humor in it once so ever. Perhaps because I have a friend of 13 plus years who spent over a year laying his life on the line for our country in Iraq with many others and then you got some selfish **** who makes ten times what the average blue collar working american makes in a year wanting MORE money because he gets his ego blown up like a good year blimp by another greedy slim ball.

The analogy was insentative and uncalled for. Not to mention its a far fetched connection between an athlete and a hero.

The more Walker speaks, The more I can't wait to see his *** in a different uniform as he is making me embarrassed to be a Packers fan.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's an Update - from PackersNews / Chris Havel style.....

Posted May 15, 2005
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Chris Havel
Walker appeases the fans

MILWAUKEE

spaulding

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So let me get this straight- he doesn't show up for minicamp because he afraid of getting hurt, but he jet-skis and tries running out an inside-the-park homer in a meaningless charity softball game. What if he had torn a hammy or an Achilles?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
spaulding said:
So let me get this straight- he doesn't show up for minicamp because he afraid of getting hurt, but he jet-skis and tries running out an inside-the-park homer in a meaningless charity softball game. What if he had torn a hammy or an Achilles?

The Jet Ski deal happened before mini camp. He claims he didn't show because he didn't want the Packers to see the extent of his injury.
Softball isn't exactly a physically demanding sport unless you stress yourself. Someone who is wanting to hold out to get more money wouldn't go full bore for a meaningless softball game.

spaulding

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Slick hedid run out an inside the park home run. That's no less strenous than the handfull of reps he would have gotten at minicamp. I have had friends break legs and pull muscles in softball. Who cares if the jet ski was before camp-Javon says he's worried about injuries but puts himself in situations where he could be hurt. It's obvious he's lying about the injury deal.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To all-Good postings on this subject of Walker's B.S. in articles in the JS by Tom Silverstein and PG by ChrisHavel. I don't think the Green Bay Packers will budge on Walker's renegotiation of his contract, until after this next season. He must report and play this season before the Packers will do anything about his contract. This, of coarse, on Walkers part, is to get more money from the Packers right now by using the media. Walker's agent Drew Rosenhaus is trying to get N.F.L. teams "to blink" on his clients contracts and break Contracts with multi years left on them. N.F.L. teams including the Packers must not let him get away with it or they will have every player coming into their Chief Finanacial Officier's office to get their big paydays also. This will throw their salary cap into Chaos.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay - So, did he get hurt during the Jet-ski party, or not?
If he got hurt during the Jet-ski afternoon, then that would explain everything about not showing up.. to some extent. And, it would be a poker-face chess move on Drew's part to play it out as something other than what it really is...

Otherwise - I heard on Sports Radio than Players are expected to sign a policy that dis-allows such things as riding motorcycles, skiing, etc... it's part of their Insurance.... Winslow is the example of that for the Browns.

So - which is it? Either way, the Packers have all the cards here...
I agree with Brett - We 'can' and should play without him, especially if he's pullin' a Winslow!
Examples need to be set throughout the NFL advising all players to abide by the agreements they sign - they're not in high school or some frat house any longer - it's time to start acting like adults and shouldering their responsibilities....

Any other way is total BS!

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Assuming his agent isn't fibbing, Walker should be able to take part in minicamp workouts.

I think FIBBING... would be the operative word, here!

I mean, afterall, if he's damaged goods - then what would other teams offer him?
(Think Kellen Winslow here)
And, isn't this just another reason for even the Packers to step back and discuss him going against his Contract, specifically if he has broken it by attempting an activity which is "usually" part of all NFL contracts....

I'd like to read the fine print on Walker's contract right about now!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
spaulding said:
Slick hedid run out an inside the park home run. That's no less strenous than the handfull of reps he would have gotten at minicamp. I have had friends break legs and pull muscles in softball. Who cares if the jet ski was before camp-Javon says he's worried about injuries but puts himself in situations where he could be hurt. It's obvious he's lying about the injury deal.

:roll:

Who cares? Obviously the accuracy of your posting lacks it, maybe you should try to be more accurate instead of making a bad situation worse? Nah, its not about you so who cares right?

Go to a basketball court and get bounced.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Appreciate the post for the article Spaulding.... Seriously...

Even though it's somewhat short - it does lend a bit of duplicity on the whole issue coming straight from Javon Walker, his own bad self.... I am quite sure IMHO, that Javon was worried about taking a few more serious hits out there on the field, aside from the CONCUSSION he got out on the water - where, my friends, he could have drowned... so they took care of two birds with one stone - and I bet.... Drew was the catalyst with that idea... NOT JAVON!

Gee - I wonder if Javon cares to hear what BRETT thinks about that possibility having had happened... :shock:

Anyone care to put a little money on it?

Members online

Latest posts