Andrew Brandt chimes in again on Brett/Packers

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Asked and answered: Tuesday's mailbag | National Football Post

I suppose it’s a good thing that an almost equal number of readers think I favor one side or another in what Packers CEO Mark Murphy termed the “divorce.” Like the lawyer that I am, I see both sides.
I admired Brett for his amazing durability and availability – that is so important to any football team – and for the personal impact he had on so many people in Wisconsin. When I watched encounters with Brett, I would focus on the other person, who would invariably walk away smiling. I also admired Brett’s special warmth with the “back room guys”: the trainers, equipment men, maintenance guys and security staff. I am told the same is true in Minnesota.

Brett retired in 2008 not because he wanted to but because he wanted some sign of courtship from the front office that he received in previous years rather than the vanilla response of “It’s up to you.” Faced with silent indifference, he retired, not really wanting to retire.

I left the Packers right before Brett did, but I will say this: I agreed with the decision to move on to Aaron Rodgers, for one reason: Aaron Rodgers. I developed a close relationship with Aaron -- despite our Cal v. Stanford sniping -- and was a fan from the start.

We had seen Aaron for three years; his arm strength and mobility, his natural leadership ability and how players responded to him, and his off-the-charts intelligence and confidence. Once Brett retired, the plan was in place.

I did think, though, the organization owed Brett more; not from a professional standpoint in this cold world of the business of sports, but from a personal standpoint. Brett had played and led the team to personal tragedies of losing his father, played while supporting his wife through breast cancer and more. He had brought national and international attention to a slice of Northeastern Wisconsin known for its football team.
Someday there will be a ceremony at Lambeau where everyone will smile and laugh and honor Brett. That day, however, is no time soon.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Andrew Brandt and respect his opinions, but certainly disagree with those he has about the Viking QB.

What about Favre's indifference to Rogers?
What about Favre's "no more to give" statement?
What about Favre's request to be released while he was "retired"?
What about Favre telling the Packer brass to stay home when they were going to Miss. to discuss his "unretirement"?
What about all the phone calls to the Vikings while Favre was "retired"?
What about Bus Cook shopping Favre around the league one month after he "retired"?
What about the way Favre treated the Jets?

If Favre was upset because the Packer front office didn't "court" him (outside of making him a very, very wealthy man), why didn't he say so? Instead, he "retired" and started the charade to get himself on the team he wanted to be on--the most disliked franchise in the NFL to most Packer fans. Is this the good ole' common man that Andrew Brandt is talking about?

Favre's ego has grown to such dimensions that even Barry Bonds' head couldn't hold it.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Totally agree with your Favre issues, but Brandt is clearly taking the high road in his article. He is and was in a position where he shouldn't be slinging mud. That's our job as the fans.

No argument there.

Members online

Latest posts