Analysis on everyone else's picks

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm watching film and doing more research on all these guys. Maybe I'missing something. I can't stand that when I have an opinion I'm negative or bashing TT. I have the guy kiddos for taking Abby and thought it was a great pick. Did we need more speed and toughness on the defense? Yes. Did the majority of us want a big fast wr? Yes. I think he made a mistake not taking Bryant or Skov but apparently I'm the only one.

Last edited:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm watching film and doing more research on all these guys. Maybe I'missing something. I can't stand that when I have an opinion I'm negative or bashing TT. I have the guy kiddos for taking Abby and thought it was a great pick. Did we need more speed and toughness on the defense? Yes. Did the majority of us want a big fast wr? Yes. I think he made a mistake not taking Bryant or Skov but apparently I'm the only one.

I didn't say any of those things. I simply said SBNation disagreed.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
everyone always assumes after the draft that every team is going to get impact rookies. More than likely 1 or 2 will get reg playing time and the other will have a learning curve. For teams to improve it will come from other areas most likely

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You are aware that Skov went undrafted, right? There were several reasons for that and all 32 teams passed on him
seven times. The draft "experts" and bloggers had him way overrated and I doubt he even makes the 49ers roster
with their LB depth.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not being negative at all dude. All I'm saying is the Lions had a stellar draft and we basically got two guys I've never heard of. The game isn't played on paper but they will challenge us. On a positive note the first time we play we should be at full strength as it's early in the season! Can't say the same about the 2nd game knowing our history.

Just because you haven´t heard of Thornton and Rodgers doesn´t mean the Packers didn´t do their due diligence before picking them. I was surprised by both of the picks in the third round, but that doesn´t mean they can´t be productive for the team.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't say any of those things. I simply said SBNation disagreed.
Didn't day ya did.
Just because you haven´t heard of Thornton and Rodgers doesn´t mean the Packers didn´t do their due diligence before picking them. I was surprised by both of the picks in the third round, but that doesn´t mean they can´t be productive for the team.

Oh I believe they will be solid special teams contributors!

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't day ya did.

Oh I believe they will be solid special teams contributors!

God you're just a big bag of negativity. I hope one of these guys just rocks the field and makes you look dumb. Or both, that would be hilarious. I think Rodgers is gonna be a diamond in the rough. Dude makes some insane catches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
God you're just a big bag of negativity. I hope one of these guys just rocks the field and makes you look dumb. Or both, that would be hilarious. I think Rodgers is gonna be a diamond in the rough. Dude makes some insane catches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me to! Hope my "negativity" backfires!

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
in our division I think we as well as MN had the worst drafts. I like what Detroit tried to do with getting Swanson, though I think they reached (And probably had to) too far to get him in the 3rd. Bears I'll say let's just see what Fuller does before I comment.

Outside our division can we agree Houston had the best draft? They got easily IMO the top 2 DL in the draft they're D should be stout, and with Arian Foster they really won't NEED a QB.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
in our division I think we as well as MN had the worst drafts. I like what Detroit tried to do with getting Swanson, though I think they reached (And probably had to) too far to get him in the 3rd. Bears I'll say let's just see what Fuller does before I comment.

Outside our division can we agree Houston had the best draft? They got easily IMO the top 2 DL in the draft they're D should be stout, and with Arian Foster they really won't NEED a QB.

Ummm, I think us and MN had the best drafts. MN got a premier OLB and a franchise QB in round 1, both of which they sorely needed, and the Packers got arguably the best FS in the draft, two great WR prospects to fill out a depleted WR core, a solid pass-rushing OLB prospect with some ILB potential, and 2 players drafted for their high ceiling.

Both Bradford and Abbredaris were projected to go higher than they did, so the Packers got excellent value on those 2 picks. Don't see how you can say that the Packers had a bad draft,and most of the talking heads think they had a very good one.

Last edited:

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Getting Dix is gonna bite us in the *** against a spread offense (Washington, SF etc.). NOT getting Louis Nix to put pressure on the under performing Raji is gonna bite us in the ***. Not getting a big time ILB is gonna bite us in the ***. I do like our fifth round. I think Aberderis can stretch the field and be a James Jones, or a hybrid Jordy/Jennings type guy. Linsley was first team all big 10 which is a running conference, that can only help Eddie Lacey. Until Tretter shows he can stay healthy I honestly believe Linsley is the starter.

D

Deleted member 6794

True, the Vikings have been perennial Super Bowl contenders as well because of Peterson without a talented QB. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've seen some things to that talked about how great our draft was:-/ I think it was solid not great by any means... but that's my opinion I'm entitled to. Watching and being an Ohio state guy I think Linsley does start. He's a smart guy and can run and pass block. I did like this pick by Teddy because Libsley reminded me a lot like Mangold when he was at OSU and Mangold is a top 1 or 2 center now. I said in a previous post Adams is starting to grow on me because I found out how big he really was 6'1 212 with a 40 inch vertical. That's hard to ignore because we suck in the redzone. Always wanted Abby because after I saw him school Roby who I thought was the second best corner in the draft I fell in love with the guy and saw that he could straight up ball.

As for the picks on defense I thought TT missed on some guys that could've helped immensely. nix , Boeland and Skov were there to be had but he chose to pass on them all :-/ in the right locker room Nix can be a huge factor and Skov just plays hard all the time and Borland is just a football player. Love his motor and intense play and that type of attitude is contagious. Think that was a huge mistake not to take him.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've seen some things to that talked about how great our draft was:-/ I think it was solid not great by any means... but that's my opinion I'm entitled to. Watching and being an Ohio state guy I think Linsley does start. He's a smart guy and can run and pass block. I did like this pick by Teddy because Libsley reminded me a lot like Mangold when he was at OSU and Mangold is a top 1 or 2 center now. I said in a previous post Adams is starting to grow on me because I found out how big he really was 6'1 212 with a 40 inch vertical. That's hard to ignore because we suck in the redzone. Always wanted Abby because after I saw him school Roby who I thought was the second best corner in the draft I fell in love with the guy and saw that he could straight up ball.

As for the picks on defense I thought TT missed on some guys that could've helped immensely. nix , Boeland and Skov were there to be had but he chose to pass on them all :-/ in the right locker room Nix can be a huge factor and Skov just plays hard all the time and Borland is just a football player. Love his motor and intense play and that type of attitude is contagious. Think that was a huge mistake not to take him.

I don't think they wanted another soft BJ Raji type. Thornton seems to be in the Mike Daniels mold, a try hard do or die warrior. Yes Thornton's effort was knocked as waning late in games, but what can you expect of a guy who never came off the field.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For everyone talking about Caldwell turning that locker room around, etc., this is the same coach that was fired after only three seasons in Indy. The first two were successful because of Peyton, including the SB loss to the 'Aints. Then, when Peyton is out all season, Caldwell "leads" the team to a 2-14 record and promptly gets canned. If he were such a great coach, motivator, disciplinary-type guy, wouldn't he have fared better when he faced adversity for the only time in his coaching career?

And again, until one of these teams unseats us for the division crown, let's hold off on anointing them yet. Considering the Packers won the division with Rodgers missing half the season, I like our chances again. Speaks volumes about the talent of our roster to still win the division and overcome the adversity when missing the best QB in the game - not to mention a dozen or so other starters/players.

D

Deleted member 6794

For everyone talking about Caldwell turning that locker room around, etc., this is the same coach that was fired after only three seasons in Indy. The first two were successful because of Peyton, including the SB loss to the 'Aints. Then, when Peyton is out all season, Caldwell "leads" the team to a 2-14 record and promptly gets canned. If he were such a great coach, motivator, disciplinary-type guy, wouldn't he have fared better when he faced adversity for the only time in his coaching career?

I think it´s not fair to judge a coach based on a season in which the Colts had to start Curtis Painter, Dan Orlovsky and a 39-year old Kerry Collins in addition to having a roster with not that great overall talent.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And again, until one of these teams unseats us for the division crown, let's hold off on anointing them yet. Considering the Packers won the division with Rodgers missing half the season, I like our chances again. Speaks volumes about the talent of our roster to still win the division and overcome the adversity when missing the best QB in the game - not to mention a dozen or so other starters/players.

That's not exactly a fair assessment. Consider the Packers last season, for nearly the first half of the season GB had one of the better defenses in the league. Then midway through the season Rodgers goes down and suddenly our run defense completely falls apart. Rodgers comes back and suddenly our run defense stabilizes against Chicago and then turns in a good performance against the 9ners. Fans frequently fail to appreciate the psychology of a football team and how it can negatively affect a team when a couple key players are absent.

EDIT: Injuries to Pickett and Jolly certainly played a role in this. But if you read through the weekly grades you'll see that Raji was grading out pretty well right up until the time of Rodgers' injury. During the time of Rodgers absence Raji was frequently called out for being completely ineffective at the point of attack. Then once Rodgers returned suddenly Raji's grading turned positive again. Some players really do play to the expectation of a win.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score

Hell YES!!! Well said

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I think it´s not fair to judge a coach based on a season in which the Colts had to start Curtis Painter, Dan Orlovsky and a 39-year old Kerry Collins in addition to having a roster with not that great overall talent.

Sorry bro, can NOT agree with ya there. We had an even worse crew of BUM QB's try to step in and did nothing but Fail, til Flynn came back.

and the 2011 colts that we are comparing to had a decent roster bro:

offense: Joseph Addai, reggie wayne, Austin collie, dallas clark, pierre garcon
defense: Antoine bethea, robert mathis, dwight freeney
Kicker: adam vinatieri

Those names are not bums at all, and do not fall into a crew of "not that great overall talent"

It falls back on the coaching, they had the tools and talent, but failed to make the right choices. MM and TT had MORE injuries, less tools to work with and still managed to salvage the season.

D

Deleted member 6794

Sorry bro, can NOT agree with ya there. We had an even worse crew of BUM QB's try to step in and did nothing but Fail, til Flynn came back.

and the 2011 colts that we are comparing to had a decent roster bro:

offense: Joseph Addai, reggie wayne, Austin collie, dallas clark, pierre garcon
defense: Antoine bethea, robert mathis, dwight freeney
Kicker: adam vinatieri

Those names are not bums at all, and do not fall into a crew of "not that great overall talent"

It falls back on the coaching, they had the tools and talent, but failed to make the right choices. MM and TT had MORE injuries, less tools to work with and still managed to salvage the season.

I don't think it gets any worse than having Painter and Orlovsky playing QB. Addai??? A kicker??? Give me a break.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Addai was a good solid back and having a good kicker who is proven provides solid points. Just saying, they were better off than we were..... our QB situation sucked worse, hands down.

Members online