Analysis on everyone else's picks

D

Deleted member 6794

We were 8th in the NFL in sacks last year and the Lions were 28th. Sacks aren't the only indicator of a pass rush but I'm just saying.

The Lions pass rush was way more consistent than the Packers one last season.

D

Deleted member 6794

I thought I read that Fuller could project to Safety no?

That´s a possibility, but if you need as much help at safety as the Bears do, it would be a way better move to draft a guy who played safety in college, especially if the two best safeties are still on the board.

D

Deleted member 6794

Why does everyone say this? Does no one realize that here were only 7 teams in all of the NFL that had more sacks than the Packers last year? That was without a healthy Clay and an injury devastated defense.

The Packers rushing the QB is not a problem. The problem is no team will have pressure on the QB every single play and that is when your pass coverage has to show up and the Packers pass coverage is flocking horrible. So when the absolutely inevitable reality of no pressure happens, the Packers pass coverage is so bad that everyone thinks that the pass rush is the problem and it is not.

Bottom line is the pass coverage is the problem, not the pass rush.

Sacks are really a misleading stat evaluating a team´s pass rush. The Packers pass rush was one of the worst in the league, they weren´t able to create constant pressure while only rushing four.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lions pick was terrible in my opinion. They are playing fantasy football and ignoring the defense, which is the reason they aren't a true contender. That defense is just horrible, even with a very talented front four. So what if they have Megatron, Tate, Ebron, Bush, etc. They still have an inaccurate and inconsistent QB that will hold back that offense's potential and a sub-par line. Drafting a TE is a luxury pick that the Lions don't have the luxury to take. I was thrilled when I saw them continue to ignore that defense in the first round.

H

HardRightEdge

We were 8th in the NFL in sacks last year and the Lions were 28th. Sacks aren't the only indicator of a pass rush but I'm just saying.
We blitz a lot...Capers is always top 5 in the league in blitz %. He should always be toward the top of league in sacks.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lions pick was terrible in my opinion. They are playing fantasy football and ignoring the defense, which is the reason they aren't a true contender. That defense is just horrible, even with a very talented front four. So what if they have Megatron, Tate, Ebron, Bush, etc. They still have an inaccurate and inconsistent QB that will hold back that offense's potential and a sub-par line. Drafting a TE is a luxury pick that the Lions don't have the luxury to take. I was thrilled when I saw them continue to ignore that defense in the first round.

Ebron is going to slash us this next year if we don't find an ILB upgrade. He wasn't a bad pick. He will slash the bears if fuller doesn't transition into a great safety or if he's left at CB. He will slash the Vikings, basically no matter what. I can go on with the rest of the schedule if you'd like but honestly, it's a passing league. Why not add a weapon? What holes should they have filled on defense that would have been a better option than Ebron?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 6794

Ebron is going to slash us this next year if we don't find an ILB upgrade. He wasn't a bad pick. He will slash the bears if fuller doesn't transition into a great safety or if he's left at CB. He will slash the Vikings, basically no matter what. I can go on with the rest of the schedule if you'd like but honestly, it's a passing league. Why not add a weapon? What holes should they have filled on defense that would have been a better option than Ebron?

I agree that Ebron is a great weapon for the Lions, but they had a lot of options to improve a terrible secondary.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That´s true, but it´s possible Jim Caldwell will be able to turn that ship around.
But we're talking about a long-term culture on that team that preceded Schwartz. Caldwell isn't going change their stripes easily, if at all.

D

Deleted member 6794

But we're talking about a long-term culture on that team that preceded Schwartz. Caldwell isn't going change their stripes easily, if at all.

The Lions didn´t have nearly as much talent as they have now before Schwartz arrived though.

D

Deleted member 6794

So then they're competitive. I still don't think they're in our league though.

Don´t get me wrong, I think the Packers are the better team as well. But the Lions are the second most talented team in the division and the only one capable of challenging the Packers.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Both Barr and Ebron are "athletic talent" guys more than "great football players". Ebron sounds a lot like young Finley; great athlete and matchup nightmare with mediocre hands and desire. The folks around him in detroit don't seem like the guys to make him really take his talent seriously. Barr may end up being amazing, but right now he's seems like a Bruce Irvin type athletic monster in shorts who is a one trick pass rushing pony on the field. I suspect we'll run at him regularly until he shows that he can set the edge.

Now Bridgewater....I think if he can sit for a year (or best case scenario for them, until they have a nice toasty dome for his little hands) then he may finally turn them around. On the other hand, he seems a lot like Ponder; great athlete but inaccurate with the ball. Still, some folks have been saying for months that he's the best player in the draft and they get him at 32. That could be a great move on their part.
Inaccurate with the ball? So 68.4% completion percentage is inaccurate? I am curious to know what you consider accurate for a QB in college?

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lions have destroyed us in the draft thus far stop hating on their picks. Their fans should be excited. In Green Bay I hear crickets. Never even heard of two of these guys.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lions have destroyed us in the draft thus far stop hating on their picks. Their fans should be excited. In Green Bay I hear crickets. Never even heard of two of these guys.

When you're a Lions fan, it's pretty easy to get excited as usually not much goes well for them. I also remember Viking fans being excited after the first day last year.

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

H

HardRightEdge

If we could have gotten Baltimore's 1st. and 3rd. picks to go with our 2nd., I'd give this draft an A. We didn't, so I won't.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I also wasn't thrilled with our 2nd day picks, but for God's sakes Rodell...could you perhaps give these picks a little bit of time, maybe more than hours after we drafted, to say we got destroyed? Every year you do this. Every year you tell us how (insert NFC North team other than the Packers) has just killed it and is progressing while we regress. And every year whatever division rival you champion finishes behind us once again.

You also didn't like the Bahktiari pick last year...you were wrong. Hyde also seemed like a reach in the 5th and did not turn out to be so.

So considering we probably had one of the best drafts of any team last year, could you maybe put just a smidgen of trust in the FO? Is it maybe just possible that Ted Thompson doesn't just make his picks straight off Mel Kiper's big board? I assure you that Thompson is drafting from his board and doing whatever he thinks will best improve the team. I assure you he is not drunkenly taking shots in the draft room as he picks random names out of a hat. I assure you that whether or not you have heard of a player has no bearing on where he ranks the player.

D

Deleted member 6794

I also wasn't thrilled with our 2nd day picks, but for God's sakes Rodell...could you perhaps give these picks a little bit of time, maybe more than hours after we drafted, to say we got destroyed? Every year you do this. Every year you tell us how (insert NFC North team other than the Packers) has just killed it and is progressing while we regress. And every year whatever division rival you champion finishes behind us once again.

You also didn't like the Bahktiari pick last year...you were wrong. Hyde also seemed like a reach in the 5th and did not turn out to be so.

So considering we probably had one of the best drafts of any team last year, could you maybe put just a smidgen of trust in the FO? Is it maybe just possible that Ted Thompson doesn't just make his picks straight off Mel Kiper's big board? I assure you that Thompson is drafting from his board and doing whatever he thinks will best improve the team. I assure you he is not drunkenly taking shots in the draft room as he picks random names out of a hat. I assure you that whether or not you have heard of a player has no bearing on where he ranks the player.

I like the Adams pick and I understand picking Rodgers with the compensatory pick in the third round. There wasn´t good value available at the TE position in the 2nd round, and none of the top guys available in the third. I´m quite sure though they have enough inside information about him as he played for Cal and was coached by Tedford there.

I was surprised by the Thornton pick, didn´t see that one coming at all.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I live in Chicago and fans are calling up sports radio and HOWLING about not taking a safety.
I heard a little bit of the Score radio yesterday and heard the same thing. Some callers were also upset because some scouting reports somewhere at sometime had Fuller as a second round prospect. BTW, the Bears did pick a safety in the fourth round: Brock Vereen from Minnesota.

BTW, I too worry about the new HC in Detroit. I don't think he'll put up with the BS antics of some of the Lions and he may be able to improve the QB play.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lions will challenge us for the division next yr and so will the Bears. I see everyone dropping at least one division game next yr.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score

Your negative outlook is kiling me....

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your negative outlook is kiling me....

Not being negative at all dude. All I'm saying is the Lions had a stellar draft and we basically got two guys I've never heard of. The game isn't played on paper but they will challenge us. On a positive note the first time we play we should be at full strength as it's early in the season! Can't say the same about the 2nd game knowing our history.

Members online

Latest posts