An Open Letter to Ted Thompson

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dear Mr. Thompson,

First, I would like to welcome you to the Green Bay Packers organization. It didn't take very long to be faced with your first major issue, the holdout of wide receiver Javon Walker. I don't envy your current position, as this issue (as well as other decisions you make in the near future) may greatly impact your tenure with the organization and how you are seen as a General Manager. As a Green Bay Packer fan, I give you my full support in the hopes that you do not give in to the contract demands of Javon Walker. Although I don't know you extremely well as a General Manager, my hopes run high and I have faith that you understand that no one player is bigger than the team. I would almost describe my current feeling as "excitement" when thinking about Javon Walker sitting on the bench for the entire season. That may seem like a strange thing for me to say, as I care greatly about the Green Bay Packers and their success. It is for this precise reason that I make this statement. By putting your foot down now, you slam the door on all of those lining up behind him (this line is already growing rapidly, and will likely double or triple immediately if corrective action is not taken). The future of the Green Bay Packers is far more important to me than the 2005 season.

I would like to see nothing less than a selfish player like Javon learn a harsh lesson, which is "the tail does not wag the dog". It also excites me to think that letting him sit the entire year without trading him would help deliver a message to your fellow NFL General Managers - that Drew Rosenhaus is a cancer to the sport and will not be granted the power than he has endowed upon himself.

The Green Bay Packers were here long before Javon Walker was born, and will be around long after he is gone. I cheered for them when they were horrible in the 80's, and was in 7th Heaven when they won the Superbowl in January of '97. While the quality of a product is usually on the forefront of every fans mind, I would MUCH rather have a losing team filled with "teammates", than a winning team filled with the likes of Javon Walker. I may sound a lot older than I am when I say that, but this disturbing trend has got to stop, and you Mr. Thompson have the power to do that. I look forward to seeing how you handle this situation.

Sincerely,
A Lifetime Packer Fan

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agreed on all points. Like you said, if the packers don't nip this in the butt here and now, they really hurt themselves down the line

Miskito

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, LL. Would you seriously risk a season's success to prove that point if you were the GM? Can you imagine all the hate mail going to the Packer's organization from their own fans (all the other teams and their fans would certainly applaud it)?

That would be tremendously brave.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Driver, Fergy, Chatman, the new draft picks, etc, I wouldn't say that the absence of Walker is going to be the difference between a 3-13 and a 14-2 season...of course his presence helps the packers, but the season isn't in ruins w/out him

The bigger issue is the can of worms you open. As soon as you give into Walker, what's to stop Ahman, Flanagan, Longwell, Driver, etc?

OP
OP
L

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like musccy said, the success of the Packers doesn't hinge on Walker. First of all, the Packers offense doesn't (and hasn't since Sterling Sharpe) revolve around a Wide Receiver. Sure, Walker is an asset to the team, but not one worth sacrificing the future of the franchise for. And he isn't going to make or break the season, either. The bottom line is that the Packers stand to lose much more by giving in to him than they gain by risking more problems down the road by making sure he's on the field.

carol k

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Miskito, it seems to be the consensus of most of the Packer fans--not only on this forum, but other forums--that the Pack should let Walker set. He is not the only receiver on the team. Driver is pretty darn good, and Bubba isn't bad either. We certainly don't need an egotistical cry baby on the team :oops: :roll:

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The real key is for every team in the league to stand strong and refuse to negotiate contracts with multiple years left. If they don't, vultures like Rottenlouse will continue to swoop in. There will always be willing players to go with the likes of him if they think he can get them more money. That is why teams have to stand strong to stop it for the stability of the league.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think one of the strongest attributes that this forum has is that it is predicated on everyone being allowed an opinion. I mean, we have some people posting here that I have not been able to agree with hardly at all. The good thing is, both sides still have the right and are welcomed to continue to frequent this forum.

Having said that, I would like to say that I do not believe that any TRUE Packer fan could (or better stated SHOULD) make the statement that the Packers should not be willing to sacrifice a season and make Walker sit. Most true Packer fans who follow the team and want its long-term success should know that giving in to #84's demands is not in the best interest of the Green Bay Packers!

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Miskito said:
Wow, LL. Would you seriously risk a season's success to prove that point if you were the GM? Can you imagine all the hate mail going to the Packer's organization from their own fans (all the other teams and their fans would certainly applaud it)?

That would be tremendously brave.

Misikito, if Rottenlouse had gotten with Ulracher after one good year and got a top 5 contract, which would have effected your teams ability to sign some of the players they have the last couple of years, I don't believe you would be too happy right now, especially with his drop off in play.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ND, I agree, every one is entitled to their opinion, even if they're not always right like you and me. Just kidding. :mrgreen: :lol:

Seriously, the most important thing TT has to consider is the long term welfare of the Packers, as you said. And the other teams in the league need to do the same thing.

Javon's situation is really sad in a way. If he would come in and play, he would get a new contract and be independently wealthy for the rest of his life with a little common sense. He would probably set a number of Packer records or be high up there and be an integral part of a good team. More than likely he would go to a few more Pro Bowls. In the end he would be loved and reveered by Packer fans and his team mates, he would be brought back for special occassions and cheered, invited to charity golf outings to reminisce old team mates, be part of the Packer family worldwide, and more.

But for some more money he will be just another rich, talented jerk. :(

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT just cant move an inch, if he does so and Gives 84 what he wants he will let one rotten apple into the cage and by the end of the day all tha apples will be rotten, money must be won in the field not by holdouts !!! :evil:

Members online

Latest posts