1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon... Update: Announcement to be released on MONDAY!

An article I wrote about the Packers winning the Super Bowl.

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Pegger Packer, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Pegger Packer

Pegger Packer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +114
    I wrote this piece 4 or so days after the Packers won the Super Bowl, and yes, that's me jumping up and down like a fool in the picture (the Editor-In-Chief requested it lol).

The first half of the article is about my reaction to the Packers win, and the second half is me relating it back to our own local football team, who haven't won a championship since back in 1990.

Not sure if anyone will find it that interesting a read, considering the Manitoban-centric ending, but I figured I would post it anyways, for anyone interested in reading about a non-Wisconsin Packer fan's enjoyment of the Super Bowl victory.

The spoils of victory | the Manitoban

• Like Like x 4
  2. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,427
    Great writing! I can feel the emotion in that as well as the historical significance it had for you. Your emotions translate very well to the reader. It's obvious you love the team very much and reading that brought me back to that moment and made me feel it all over again! Thanks for sharing that with us!!! :)

3. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +606
    I added it to my Packers folder so I could save it in my personal "archive". Great work!

4. Pegger Packer

Pegger Packer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +114
    Thanks! I always like to write about the Packers or football wherever possible, as it's something that I'm always super passionate about.

5. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,673
    Well done.

I am interested in knowing how you (And perhaps other fans of CFL) feel about the Packers calling themselves "World" champions when football is played in other countries?
    World champions doesn't fit here.
    American champions does, but it cannot be applied since America likes to think it is in the center of the universe and is the greatest country ever since the world began.
    (I digress.)
    Packers are World Champs? No.
    America Champs? Yes.

I remember watching CFL on American TV during an NFL strike a long time ago. I enjoyed it. Wish I could watch it again.

6. beautifuleyes

beautifuleyes Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +31
    Would you guys believe Pegger Packer constantly doubts his own writing and thinks it's no good... he does this ALL THE TIME, OR he won't let me read his stuff until it is published cause he's afraid I'll say something is wrong with it! As you can see, his writing is AMAZING!!

7. IluvGB

IluvGB I <3 Packers!!!!

Ratings:
    +845
    Excellent article!!,...How did I miss that your beloved Bombers won too?? :blink: teemanymartoonies for me ??!?!? :blink: ( when was this game,..that might help!)

I don't think my heart could take cheering for two teams...regardless of their locations!!!
    But now my eyes have been opened that there is football in other parts of the world,.. I may have to keep one eye open and see how they do!!

So many great writers on this forum...wow!

8. beautifuleyes

beautifuleyes Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +31
    Last time the Blue Bombers won was 1990. I wasn't even born :( BUT THE DAY THAT THEY WIN THE GREY CUP, ohhhhhh boy it's gonna be insane

9. Pegger Packer

Pegger Packer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +114
    For the record, I believe the CFL has a contract with NFL network to air one game a week. Last year, the first game they aired was the EPIC week 1 Grey Cup rematch between the Montreal Alouettes and the Saskatchewan Roughriders that was freaking EPIC (and I hate both teams).

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqn-Uj9yPtE]YouTube - Best Opening game in CFL history[/ame]

That overtime TD catch by S.J Green for the 2pt conversion just might be the greatest catch I HAVE EVER SEEN EVER. I assume that the deal with NFL Network is still in place, so I suggest that anyone interested in watching some entertaining football during the NFL offseason should check out a game or two this summer!

Anyways, yes, I would still consider the Green Bay Packers the World Champions, despite the Canadian Football League never getting a chance to challenge for that title.

I WILL say, just for the sake of bragging about superiority, that the Green Bay Packers had a wide receiver named Milt Stegall on their practise roster in 1995, but he was cut due to a rather severe knee injury late in training camp......

Later that year, his agent would call him about signing a contract with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers (my hometown team), and in the following 13 years, Milt Stegall would become the most consistent, most dangerous, and arguably one of the greatest receivers in "american" football history (should be mentioned in the same breath as Jerry Rice). His stats:

CFL Regular Season Career stats:
    Receptions: 850
    Yards: 15,110*
    TDs: 147*

*Both are CFL records

I love that both of my favourite teams are connected by one of my favourite players of all time, and I'm infinitely grateful that I was able to witness Stegall's greatness first hand. :happy0005:

ANYWAYS, now I'm ranting about the CFL (expect plenty of this sort of stuff during the NFL offseason AKA CFL regular season!) (I'll keep it to the Atrium:thumbsup), but I'll reiterate that I consider the Super Bowl to be the more prestigious trophy to own, BUT the Grey Cup is the more awe-inspiring football trophy to look at!

[​IMG]

*obligatory image featuring mounties in a Canadian post*

Super Bowl is great and all, but 98 going on 99 years of Grey Cup legacy is nothing to scoff at. and just LOOK AT THAT THING. THAT's a trophy that you would need two hands to lift over your head, and isn't that the way it should be?

• Like Like x 1
  10. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,000
    Nice article. Some of us were big John Ryan fans during the short time he played for us so we already kind of like the Blue Bombers. Now we like them even more. Keep up the good work.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,673
    Thank you for the response and the highlights.

I agree. That was an amazing catch! Wow!
    And your fans are nuttier too! 1:50 LMAO!

Even though I love the Packers and the fact they won the Lombardi, I gotta "say" that the grey cup is nicer. I wish we had that instead of the typical dumb looking "Football on a stick." I think the winning trophy shouldn't be so obvious.

And I understand Doug Flutie was part of the CFL for a bit as well.

12. PFanCan

PFanCan That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.

Ratings:
    +868
    I lived in Calgary for a few years and went to several CFL games. Even saw Doug Flutie at a half-time show when he was given an award for something.

During my brief stay, I learned that CFL fans are just as passionate and nutty as their American NFL counterparts. The games were loud, exciting, and extremely fun.

I also like a couple of the rules differences from the NFL and wish they would be adopted:

1. Endzone is 20 yards deep, not 10 yards.
    2. Punting team gets a point if the returning player cannot get it out of the endzone.

13. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,673
    And did I see a player in the posted vid. return a FG try for a TD?
    If that's the case, NFL should have that one too.
    I also like the double OT. That's how it should be. No tie games.
    NFL looks wimpish compared to the CFL.