"America's Team"

olddavid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why aren't the Packers referred to as America's Team? Packer fans are always in force anywhere on any given gameday. I even seen a Packer towel hanging on a clothesline in Israel :shock: Why are the Dallas Cowgirls referred to as America's Team? Tampa had to put a limit on Packer fan ticket purchases because we were outnumbering the home crowd! That was when Tampa was a powerhouse. My question to everyone out there is what are the requirements for being America's Team? :x

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because "The Packers" are better than just America's team my friend. The Packers are:

"The World's Team"

Cheers :packbeer:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Bob Ryan, the Vice President and editor-in-chief of NFL Films, coined this for the Cowboys in 1979. After preparing and editing the team’s 1978 season highlight film he had to come up with a title for the film. He was quoted as saying:

"After the '78 season, the Cowboys had just lost a crushing Super Bowl to the Steelers. I wanted to come up with a different twist on their team highlight film. I noticed then, and had noticed earlier, that wherever the Cowboys played, you saw people in the stands with Cowboys jerseys and hats and pennants. Plus, they were always the national game on television."

Drawing upon this inspiration and that of other nationally followed sports teams, such as the New York Yankees in Major League Baseball, the Notre Dame Fighting Irish in college football and the Boston Celtics in pro basketball, which Ryan said "are all America’s teams," he decided to use America’s Team as the name of the highlight film.

OP
OP
O

olddavid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bob Ryan, the Vice President and editor-in-chief of NFL Films, coined this for the Cowboys in 1979. After preparing and editing the team’s 1978 season highlight film he had to come up with a title for the film. He was quoted as saying:

"After the '78 season, the Cowboys had just lost a crushing Super Bowl to the Steelers. I wanted to come up with a different twist on their team highlight film. I noticed then, and had noticed earlier, that wherever the Cowboys played, you saw people in the stands with Cowboys jerseys and hats and pennants. Plus, they were always the national game on television."

Drawing upon this inspiration and that of other nationally followed sports teams, such as the New York Yankees in Major League Baseball, the Notre Dame Fighting Irish in college football and the Boston Celtics in pro basketball, which Ryan said "are all America’s teams," he decided to use America’s Team as the name of the highlight film.

Thank you!! :thumbsup:

vegOmatic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You'd know the answer to those questions if you were over 30 years old. Sometimes you just have to be there to understand.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
America's Team? There's a question? Hmm, no question about it. What professional team is owned by the people rather than a owner?

Enough said.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woody Paige and Tim Cowlishaw (a dallas sportswriter) both violently defended the packers on around the horn the other day.

saying that ... NFL fans in general are happier when the Packers are doing good making them the ACTUAL Americas Team. Think about it. population wise Wisconsin is got to be one of the smaller states with a football team. yet the Pack is up there in jersey sales and merchandise among the giants... so yea

the cowboys are definetly the more hated of the two teams. and zero has a great point about the ownership. We are literally owned by thousands of americans instead of one greedy old man with a 12 person hot tub. thats right.

Green_Bay_Packers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why aren't the Packers referred to as America's Team? Packer fans are always in force anywhere on any given gameday. I even seen a Packer towel hanging on a clothesline in Israel :shock: Why are the Dallas Cowgirls referred to as America's Team? Tampa had to put a limit on Packer fan ticket purchases because we were outnumbering the home crowd! That was when Tampa was a powerhouse. My question to everyone out there is what are the requirements for being America's Team? :x

i was talking my sport teacher at college about that i have no answer to the question

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green_Bay_Packers said:
Green Bay is the 199th largest city...

Yeah how big is Dallas?
Dallas is HUGE!
But that doesn't matter anyway...........calling the Cowboy's "America's Team" means nothing. It was made back when they were winning super bowls. It doesn't truely mean they are America's Team.
They are Cowboy fan's team, thats all.

leopardmech

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because "The Packers" are better than just America's team my friend. The Packers are:

"The World's Team"

Cheers :packbeer:

Great answer I know when ever I have looked at nflcanada.com (a crappy site btw) it always has the Pack listed as Canada's favourite team.

Later
Leopardmech

tkpckfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
actually we were america's not to long ago for a while. but im not sure who is now.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
God, I hate this America's Team crap. When they started calling the Cowboys that, I started to hate them, and I had liked them up till then.

The Packers are Wisconsin's team. That's good enough for me.

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL

haha, exactly

You have to think about it this way:

The population of Green Bay is around 100,000 people

The stadium holds 72,000 people

That mean that almost 75% of the city is withheld inside a football stadium every Sunday, do you know how ridiculous that is in numbers? Green Bay is without a doubt, the last city, size wise, that should have a team. But that's the best part of it. The team is literally the town, and the concept is amazing. It just gives you another reason why the Packers are one of the greatest teams around, they're so unique in sooooo many ways, and I love being a fan and part of that legacy :D

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack&BrettCrazed4 said:

haha, exactly

You have to think about it this way:

The population of Green Bay is around 100,000 people

The stadium holds 72,000 people

That mean that almost 75% of the city is withheld inside a football stadium every Sunday, do you know how ridiculous that is in numbers? Green Bay is without a doubt, the last city, size wise, that should have a team. But that's the best part of it. The team is literally the town, and the concept is amazing. It just gives you another reason why the Packers are one of the greatest teams around, they're so unique in sooooo many ways, and I love being a fan and part of that legacy :D

The Packers are not Green Bay, they are Wisconsin.

Still it is impressive indeed.

The number of people who live in Milwaukee and outside Green Bay City proper that attend the games is (I am told) about 70% This is why it is impossible to get a hotel room in Green Bay, or even Appleton during a home game. The number of motor homes that head into Green Bay for a home game is incredible.

The Packers are Wisconsin. As in most cases stats can be manipulated.

Still it is a great story that a City of 120,000 can host a N..L. Team.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Heard a story from Gary Ellerson ( ex badger and packer rb) when he came to GB, strngers would come up to them after practice and invite them over for dinner, and they guys would go