All Sitton & Lang & OL threads merged

Djepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
A REAL FOOLISH MOVE FROM CAPTAIN PIKE!! What did his yes light not go on when Sitton wanted a new deal? I will bet anyone that this becomes the story of the season and a constant issue game after game...what AR is not worth an all pro lineman to protect him?? Let alone a comp pick next year???What is wrong with that stupid man?? If I was Mike McCarthey Id be REALLY PISSED!! The Season was just sabatoged by Dead Head Ted!!

Sky King

Reaction score
Scotland Yard, I commend you for your bold prediction on Feb 1st 2016. Had I seen your thread back in February, I too would've reacted pretty negatively towards those predictions. I am pretty sure I wouldn't have attacked you though.

I couldn't have imagined Sitton going, but this was well before drafting Spriggs & Murphy. I still couldn't have imagined Sitton or possibly Lang going after the Draft.

Do I agree with the move....sorta.

Sitton positives, great guard, veteran, consistently showed up, and leader amongst the group.

Sitton negatives, 30+ years old, salary, potential injury risk from past back issues, and potentially a tough signing in 2017.

With that in mind, I can understand the move from Ted to use age/health as the deciding factor to this and apply what is gained from the Sitton's release to the 2nd most important position in football...The Left Tackle. Ted isn't a fan, he's a GM, he can't let the fandom of a player play a part in his decision process. It's up to him, to do think about the team's present and future as equals. As much as it sucks for us to watch these things happen, ultimately we are still watching a darn good football team and all the credit goes to TED, for the reasons why.

Ted does have a history of letting guys go after they have peaked (Wells, Dietrich-Smith, Hayward, House, Favre, Peprah, Neal, Bishop, Walden, Babre, KUHN, Jennings, Jones, etc), except for AJ Hawk & Brad Jones. Those two stuck around a little too long to their benefit, not the Packers.

So, this is my official pat-on-the-back to Scotland Yard :)

I get wordy sometimes in my replies, apologies
The morning after the night before. After pondering this for a while I think you're probably correct. TT is all about business and not sentiment. TT must have figured that it was a lot of money to spend for a player that practiced only part-time and was in physical decline. My concern is that his replacement may not be up to the task. Maybe he'll grown into the position but that's yet to be proved.

D

Deleted member 6794

The morning after the night before. After pondering this for a while I think you're probably correct. TT is all about business and not sentiment. TT must have figured that it was a lot of money to spend for a player that practiced only part-time and was in physical decline. My concern is that his replacement may not be up to the task. Maybe he'll grown into the position but that's yet to be proved.

Sitton hasn't shown any signs of decline though as he was once again one of the best guards in the league last season. The move doesn't make any sense based on expected performance.

D

Deleted member 6794

Who wouldn't? But TT chose to roll the dice that Taylor's upside outweighed Sitton's downside and that it would happen sometime this season. I hope he's right.

Unfortunately I highly doubt Taylor will ever perform at a level close to the way Sitton has during his tenure with the Packers.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you. He needs to have an outstanding season to put these things behind him..
I think you forget the years between clifton and bahks miracle 4th round steal. He stepped in and was ok. That made him an instant hero to all of packer nation...second year he did quite well and third year was injury filled...
After how this last offseason unfolded, and being 16-17M under after cutting Sitton, I fully expect overpays to keep Hyde and Datone Jones next year.
All those safetys we kept... Hyde and or burnett replacments?

D

Deleted member 6794

I think you forget the years between clifton and bahks miracle 4th round steal. He stepped in and was ok. That made him an instant hero to all of packer nation...second year he did quite well and third year was injury filled...

All those safetys we kept... Hyde and or burnett replacments?

It took only one season to replace Clifton with Bakhtiari. Once again it's possible the future starting left tackle is already on the roster in Spriggs.

It's possible one of the safeties currently on the roster will end up replacing Hyde. There's no reason to release Burnett bext offseason.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Vindication.
Good call, Yard. You took a lot of heat from the board for such a "ridiculous" (as one poster put it) prediction.

And, yes, you predicted cutting both Sitton and Lang, but in your last sentence, you narrowed it a bit with saying that you could be talked into keeping Lang.

I have no problem with your waking this thread back up. It's the proper thing to do, actually.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, Im looking for honest feedback on this. I have been looking at players released or traded away by TT that went on to have REAL success in other roles on other teams. Very few coming up if you exclude BF. The main one I am coming across is Ryan Longwell, who went on to have a very nice career with Minny.

I seem to remember people saying the sky was falling when we released Rivera and Wahle a few years back. Wahle went on to have a decent career at a massive salary for 4 more seasons (had we not cut him he would have been our 2nd highest paid player), and Rivera was a huge FA bust for Dallas that same year.

What other players stand out to those who can name them where we can say that a move like this was not a good one for the team? Im sure there are some, and I wanted to see if any of them look like bad calls in hindsight like Longwell could be seen as.

I just think that looking at TT history with moves like this may help put it in perspective for some.

D

Deleted member 6794

What other players stand out to those who can name them where we can say that a move like this was not a good one for the team?

Overall Thompson has mostly been spot on with the timing of releasing veteran players. Jon Ryan comes to mind as an example of the general manager being wrong.

The timing of Sitton's release has to be considered as odd at best though.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sitton hasn't shown any signs of decline though as he was once again one of the best guards in the league last season. The move doesn't make any sense based on expected performance.

Agreed. Who is going to replace Sitton? I haven't seen anyone at LG that looked like a starter. Hey, I'm all for getting rid of Sitton if there is someone better, but I don't think there is someone better. Downgrade move no doubt.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Self-congratulatory posts contribute nothing to this forum. Neither does name-calling. Both things should be checked at the log-in.

Actually, posters are free to post a self congratulatory post if they want to. It may be self serving, but is allowed. However, we do discourage name calling and if it gets out of hand we moderators will address it. And this thread is getting *very* close.

Edit: I saw Poppa's post about the woodshed a second to late, But a little moderation redudancy can't hurt here.

OP
OP
Scotland Yard

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
Sitton's release may have been easier to see if Linsley had been healthy in camp, you know it would have been obvious that the team had six viable starters on the OL. Seems certain they expect Linsley back in six weeks and he steps into guard duty (or C with Tretter sliding to OG). Got to believe the Packers see that as the "best for the team and growth of the offensive line" part of this whole thing...meaning once Linsley is back they're just as good as they were with Sitton, with a chance to get better in the future.

They also now have OG Lewis Patrick (Larry McCarren likes him, and that's enough for me) on the PS if injuries strike, so, they're going to weather the storm for six weeks and save the $ and the worrying about Sitton's bad back and bad ankle. Patrick should be up on the 53 by next season, if not later this year.

The Packers in this era just don't put much value on OG's and ILB's. They never draft them high and they get rid of them when they get old or expensive or both.

(On a personal note, thank you to those of you with the kind words, it really shows me the worthiness of this website where we have a lot of people who enjoy discussing the Packers without the backbiting and personal attacks some folks enjoy so much. Can't deny wanting to spike the ball a bit after the heat this prediction took, and maybe that isn't cool ("weak" is how someone put it), but, I never meant to bait anyone or be mean spirited to anybody.)

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone knows Sitton being released is the biggest surprise thus far. But Barrington being released then signed by the Chiefs was also a shocker! I thought week 1 would be Barrington and Ryan in the middle. Now it seems Blake Martinez will be next to Jake Ryan week 1. The only other option is Joe Thomas right? The move is interesting to say the least. The real problem now is on Oline. Sitton is so much better than anyone on the roster to replace him. Taylor is not near the same level as Sitton, I would love to know what Rodgers thinks about losing a key blocker. Both these are blindsides in my opinion. Even with Sitton and Barrington gone our shot at SuperBowl 51 is still bright indeed.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
What other players stand out to those who can name them where we can say that a move like this was not a good one for the team? Im sure there are some, and I wanted to see if any of them look like bad calls in hindsight like Longwell could be seen as.
Darren Sharper went to a few Pro-bowls after being asked to take a pay cut, refusing, and leaving Green Bay during TT's first off season.
Let Cullen Jenkins leave.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea, I saw that. I'd be kind of surprised if he doesn't sign with them. If so, I'd look forward to seeing the battle between Mike Daniels and Sitton 2x this season
TT always thinks he's the smartest guy in the room, loves collecting UDFA's and maintaining one of the youngest rosters in the league.

This one quite puzzling, as others have said, given the OL depth and the results last year when injuries crept in--Which they will again. Also--The compensatory pick that would come with Sitton leaving as a FA next year. Don't get it.