All Sitton & Lang & OL threads merged

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BUT WAIT!!! Thompson loves his compensatory picks and now he won't get one for Sitton!!!! From reading some posts I've been convinced that Thompson values those 5th & 6th rounders more than he values coach-speak and being mysterious!!!

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We'll be fine.
Yes, the Packers will be fine. That's not the issue. The issue is, very odd timing for an unnecessary move (unless Thompson has a trade or extension up his sleeve and needed the cap space) and has the potential to move the Packers from the ranks of Super Bowl contenders to "scary playoff team nobody wants to face but also not really a threat".

Let's not forget, Sitton is one of the five best guards in the NFL and now the Packers will have two new starters in the interior oline. The Panthers feature two very good defensive tackles. The Cardinals have a guy named Calais Campbell and the Vikings have a few good defensive tackles as well. I'm not saying the move is a death-knell for the Packers, I still fully expect them to win the NFC North, it's just a little weird to eviscerate the oline depth a week before the season starts so they could save a whopping $6.5 million. Again though, it's still to be seen what Thompson thought he could do with the $6.5 million that was worth disrupting the second strongest unit on the team (behind QB).

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should have seen the writing on the wall. He had a bad year last year. His foot has not and will never heal according to Josh himself. He still gets tons of respect around the league and pro bowl votes but that is from what he did long ago.

He was still one of the best pass blocking guards in the NFL last year. I'm not saying it was his top year, but he was still deservedly a Pro Bowler. Jeff Saturday was a reputation Pro Bowler when he made it as a Packer, Sitton still earned it.

PFF still had him as the #5 overall guard in the NFL last year. He was still good. This is rationalization to try to explain the cut, IMO.

Last edited:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm pretty blown away, still. I've been trying to come up with a logical explanation.

You spend all those draft picks investing in the O-line to protect Rodgers, only to throw away your best lineman to save an unnecessary 6M+.

Short of the team doctor telling Ted privately that Sitton's knees aren't going to last the month, I have no idea what we were thinking.

Thompson has become almost brazen in his decisions. You don't make a move like this without feeling like you have complete job security. If this doesn't work out, there's going to be a ton of backlash .

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WAIT! I just figured it out! Packers needed the money to sign Cullen Jenkins who was just cut from the Redskins!

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind this move if there was a viable backup plan to replacing him. Barclay doesn't have any business wearing an NFL uniform and Lane Taylor is, well, Lane Taylor who stunk it up against KC. In a year where a Super Bowl is a realistic goal, now is not the year to start developing the O-line. It's decisions like this that explain why we only have one championship with Rodgers. Just think, this will be year 25 with Favre or Rodgers at the helm, a quarter of a century, and we've only got two championships to show for it.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
Packerlifer posted the same article I did lol.

I'm skeptical about Bakhtiari personally, he got blown out bad between Denver and Carolina and even more teams we played after. I'd have to look again but I personally feel Aaron lost confidence in the protection from his blind side after Denver last season.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't help but be pessimistic and think this is yet another move to make sure we are a playoff contenders next year with no chance to win the Superbowl this year or the next or the next or the next or the next or the next, but hey at least the pack will have another chance to find a way to embarrassingly lose in the playoffs again.

That being said, what the hell do I know.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If a man can't have a circle jerk moment by bumping a thread in which they correctly hypothesized Sitton being cut, then when can they?

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Self-congratulatory posts contribute nothing to this forum. Neither does name-calling. Both things should be checked at the log-in.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For christ sake it's a fan forum. If you can't make a bold prediction, then Bring it back up 6 months later when said bold prediction takes place, what's the point?

Half the fun of these discussions is rubbing a nose when you are correct. Some need to relax and just eat crow without hurt feelings. I've done it, lots of others have as well.

Again it's sports. There is no need for namecalling, but otherwise It's supposed to be fun and competitive and spirited.

If we are gonna start getting hurt feelings when someone says I told ya so, we might as well turn this into a headline forum or a wine review website.

Just My 2 cents on it.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For christ sake it's a fan forum. If you can't make a bold prediction, then Bring it back up 6 months later when said bold prediction takes place, what's the point?

Half the fun of these discussions is rubbing a nose when you are correct. Some need to relax and just eat crow without hurt feelings. I've done it, lots of others have as well.

Again it's sports. There is no need for namecalling, but otherwise It's supposed to be fun and competitive and spirited.

If we are gonna start getting hurt feelings when someone says I told ya so, we might as well turn this into a headline forum or a wine review website.

Just My 2 cents on it.

Who is eating crow? I'll personally apologize to you if you can show me anywhere in this thread where I said the opposite.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you can't make a bold prediction, then Bring it back up 6 months later when said bold prediction takes place, what's the point?

I would similarly ask what the point is of bringing it back up. If it's just to feel good about yourself, you don't need an audience for that. If it's to make other people feel lesser, well that's just weak.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haha great, bold call, Scotland Yard!

Nobody saw this coming except you and TT lol, funny to read some of the old comments of people who thought you were looney.

D

Deleted member 6794

Vindication.

I'm fine with a poster bragging about being right about something he suggested months ago. Good call.

As a side note, you predicted both Sitton and Lang to be released, so technically you weren't correct about it. ;)

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
[mod voice == ON] People, we need to tone down the attitudes and stop with the name calling and other 7th grade innuendos. Otherwise I'll need to have you bring a switch with you out behind the woodshed.
[mod voice == OFF]

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Scotland Yard, I commend you for your bold prediction on Feb 1st 2016. Had I seen your thread back in February, I too would've reacted pretty negatively towards those predictions. I am pretty sure I wouldn't have attacked you though.

I couldn't have imagined Sitton going, but this was well before drafting Spriggs & Murphy. I still couldn't have imagined Sitton or possibly Lang going after the Draft.

Do I agree with the move....sorta.

Sitton positives, great guard, veteran, consistently showed up, and leader amongst the group.

Sitton negatives, 30+ years old, salary, potential injury risk from past back issues, and potentially a tough signing in 2017.

With that in mind, I can understand the move from Ted to use age/health as the deciding factor to this and apply what is gained from the Sitton's release to the 2nd most important position in football...The Left Tackle. Ted isn't a fan, he's a GM, he can't let the fandom of a player play a part in his decision process. It's up to him, to do think about the team's present and future as equals. As much as it sucks for us to watch these things happen, ultimately we are still watching a darn good football team and all the credit goes to TED, for the reasons why.

Ted does have a history of letting guys go after they have peaked (Wells, Dietrich-Smith, Hayward, House, Favre, Peprah, Neal, Bishop, Walden, Babre, KUHN, Jennings, Jones, etc), except for AJ Hawk & Brad Jones. Those two stuck around a little too long to their benefit, not the Packers.

So, this is my official pat-on-the-back to Scotland Yard :)

I get wordy sometimes in my replies, apologies

2016 Cap numbers:

Sitton = $6.6 million
Lang = $6.2 million
Tretter = $788,850
Lane Taylor = RFA (last year's RFA 2nd round tender was about $2.4 million)

So, I have to ask why are the Packers going to spend almost $13 million on Sitton & Lang? Why not just pay Tretter and Taylor a combined $3.5 million and use the excess $9.5 million elsewhere (like ILB or TE)?

IMO, Tretter would be an upgrade, mainly because Sitton has had so many nagging injuries and chronic back problems. We saw first hand how much more athletic Tretter is when he played LT the week after Sitton got destroyed playing LT. Not saying Sitton is a bum, he's a fine guard, MM should never have stuck him at LT. But, Tretter is an ascending player, and Sitton is entering his twilight.

Lang is also a fine guard, but, is he that much better than Tretter or Taylor in 2016?

They gave up 49 sacks in 2015. Wasn't really Sitton and Lang's fault, I'd probably blame the injuries to Bakhtiari and Bulaga for most of the sacks. But still, they're allocating $13 million on what are supposed to be a couple of stud OG's, and the line ain't getting it done anyway...what's the point?

Also, in 2014 and 2015, the Packers struggled mightily to convert 3rd & 4th down with a yard or less to go. Again and again the RB's got stuffed in those situations. If Sitton and Lang are so darn good, why is that?

I'd be fine with a 2016 offensive line like this:

LT Bakhtiari
LG Tretter
C Linsley
RG Taylor or Walker or Rotheram
RT Bulaga

(I could be talked into keeping Lang, and playing Tretter at RG.)

D

Deleted member 6794

Bakh had a nice rookie year considering he was thrown into the LT position and hasn't blossomed since. He can't go a game without being penalized and his pass blocking is barely average.

Bakhtiari's pass protection is above average but he struggles blocking for the run. I don't think cutting Sitton automatically results in the Packers re-signing the left tackle.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WAIT! I just figured it out! Packers needed the money to sign Cullen Jenkins who was just cut from the Redskins!

After how this last offseason unfolded, and being 16-17M under after cutting Sitton, I fully expect overpays to keep Hyde and Datone Jones next year.

Djepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A REAL FOOLISH MOVE FROM CAPTAIN PIKE!! What did his yes light not go on when Sitton wanted a new deal? I will bet anyone that this becomes the story of the season and a constant issue game after game...what AR is not worth an all pro lineman to protect him?? Let alone a comp pick next year???What is wrong with that stupid man?? If I was Mike McCarthey Id be REALLY PISSED!! The Season was just sabatoged by Dead Head Ted!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    16.7 KB · Views: 86

Members online

Latest posts