All Sitton & Lang & OL threads merged

D

Deleted member 6794

The comp pick would be two years out and is not guaranteed. The Packers also have other potential FA's to get the picks from. And isn't there a maximum of three per team?

There's a maximum of four per team.

Im not buying the spriggs over bahk story. Until i see him play better , i wont be guessing that either.

And burnetts huge contract could be a reason to let him go.... We have a gross amount of big time players to resign...

Spriggs has to prove he's capable of performing at Bakhtiari's level first before the Packers should think about letting him walk away in free agency next offseason.

Burnett is set to count $7 million against the cap in 2017. That's not a huge hit considering he's one of the best safeties in the league and will be 28 years old next year.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The sudden, shocking release of Josh Sitton now puts a spotlight on a player who was not much more than an afterthought to most of us fans and who, to many, was questionable to even make the team going into this year's camp.

Despite the talk about the Packers shuffling around their offensive line to cover for Sitton's departure I can't imagine they would, this late and close to the season opener, commit to any more disruption and adjustment than the exit of Sitton has already caused.

Lane Taylor will move up and be the team's starting left guard and will remain so unless and until he shows he can't handle the job. So who, really, is this guy who will be one of the most watched players in Jacksonville next Sunday?

He's no stranger to the Packers. This is his fourth season with the club. He's seen spot starting duty as a back-up in recent years which has shown both promise and need to improve. He's a hefty dude at 6-3,324. http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/...ivation-confidence-b99549469z1-320551912.html

The Packers apparently saw more in him than most fans were aware when they went out of their to resign him in free agency this past year. http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/p...tion-packers-offensive-line-guard-sitton-lang.

He's a personable young man and has been apparently embraced already by his mates, which should remove any thought he would be the subject of any resentment over Sitton getting cut.
http://wncy.com/blogs/news-from-the-pack/711/video-65-lane-taylor-on-the-offensive-line-outside-of-work/

So let's hope for the best and wait to see.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

http://www.mainlineautographs.com/images/product_pics/EPSON144_2014090278.jpg

Last edited:

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.jsonline.com/story/sport...gherty-sitton-release-lombardi-like/89817768/

BTW-Gannett taking over J-S AND the Press-Gazette has made a hodge-podge of Packers coverage. They combined the sports coverage, virtually eliminating anything different than the J-S coverage. They've relegated Bob McGinn to 'just another reporter' status, and it's just not as good.

While I understand the rapid changes in media, when you have large media interests and little competition you get a duller product.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you look at Dougherty's article about the cut I posted, it makes sense.
http://www.jsonline.com/story/sport...gherty-sitton-release-lombardi-like/89817768/

Don't be transfixed on the idea that Taylor will be the starting guard. Keep in mind Linsley is coming back in a few weeks. Tretter then could move to left guard, or Bulaga might move to guard and Spriggs to right tackle.
The Packers had to make a choice and decided Sitton's attitude, health, age and contract didn't add up any more.

D

Deleted member 6794

Pro Football Focus graded Taylor at 68.5 on 155 snaps last season which is below average. He was ranked even worse in limited action in 2013 and '14.

D

Deleted member 6794

Don't be transfixed on the idea that Taylor will be the starting guard. Keep in mind Linsley is coming back in a few weeks. Tretter then could move to left guard, or Bulaga might move to guard and Spriggs to right tackle.
The Packers had to make a choice and decided Sitton's attitude, health, age and contract didn't add up any more.

There's no guarantee Linsley will be healthy within six weeks nor that any of the players you mentioned will at least turn out to be an average guard.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no guarantee Linsley will be healthy within six weeks nor that any of the players you mentioned will at least turn out to be an average guard.
Yup. There are no guarantees. What's you point?

There's no guarantee that Sitton would not get injured, would stay with Packers after next season, or will maintain his level of performance. There are also no guarantees that Tretter, Bulaga, or Taylor will not be better than Sitton.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yup. There are no guarantees. What's you point?

There's no guarantee that Sitton would not get injured, would stay with Packers after next season, or will maintain his level of performance. There are also no guarantees that Tretter, Bulaga, or Taylor will not be better than Sitton.

My point is that releasing Sitton was a huge mistake as it's probable that none of the players lining up at left guard this season will perform close to the level Sitton has over the last few years.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Actually, posters are free to post a self congratulatory post if they want to. It may be self serving, but is allowed. However, we do discourage name calling and if it gets out of hand we moderators will address it. And this thread is getting *very* close.
Bears fans seem to be ecstatic over the pickup of sitton

I think for good reason. Gonna miss seeing Sitton on the Packers.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't believe that PFF's methods can distinguish between above and below average players. I'm sure they get the bottom and top of the list right, but not the middle. Above average or below average, all I take from that is "not the best, not the worst". Based on what I saw this preseason, Taylor didn't look like he was as good as he played last year in spot duty.

That said, the coaches know a lot better than we do what Sitton's trajectory is. If he's slipping and a problem in the locker room and they think they can make Taylor/Lindsley/Bulaga work, I hope they're right.

I wish they'd done this WAY earlier to give the starting line a chance to settle into whatever configuration is ideal, and at this point it seems like we're not going to be as good this year as we'd have been with Sitton, but we may not be 6.5 mil better and if that money can get us Lang/Bak/Tretter by allowing us to do it early and keep the line stronger on average over the next 3-4 seasons, maybe it was a good move. We'll have to wait and see.

D

Deleted member 6794

I wish they'd done this WAY earlier to give the starting line a chance to settle into whatever configuration is ideal, and at this point it seems like we're not going to be as good this year as we'd have been with Sitton, but we may not be 6.5 mil better and if that money can get us Lang/Bak/Tretter by allowing us to do it early and keep the line stronger on average over the next 3-4 seasons, maybe it was a good move. We'll have to wait and see.

The additional $6 million of cap space the Packers gained by releasing Sitton increases the chances of re-signing one of the offensive linemen set to become free agents next offseason but for sure not all of them.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stunned over this one. Although I think we were spending too much on the G position, we are also a SB favorite this season. I would have put more effort in this season than looking down the road. But TT is always looking at the team for the next 5 years and to that end, this is probably in the Packers best interest.

We shall see if it hinders our chances at a SB this season or not.

Vindication.
Nice job!

D

Deleted member 6794

Stunned over this one. Although I think we were spending too much on the G position, we are also a SB favorite this season. I would have put more effort in this season than looking down the road. But TT is always looking at the team for the next 5 years and to that end, this is probably in the Packers best interest.

Thompson's approach guarantees the Packers stay competitive in the long haul but decreases the chance of winning a Super Bowl this season.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't believe that PFF's methods can distinguish between above and below average players. I'm sure they get the bottom and top of the list right, but not the middle. Above average or below average, all I take from that is "not the best, not the worst". Based on what I saw this preseason, Taylor didn't look like he was as good as he played last year in spot duty.

That said, the coaches know a lot better than we do what Sitton's trajectory is. If he's slipping and a problem in the locker room and they think they can make Taylor/Lindsley/Bulaga work, I hope they're right.

I am thinking that the plan was to let Sitton go as a FA next season, due to money, play slippage, and/or injury concern. At the final cut, Packers had a change in plans due to either Sitton play slippage/injury or improvement of players for plan B. I read some where that the Packers did it on purpose to not allow Sitton to go to a foe and gel on their line. This is ridiculous.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That does sound ridiculous. If they'd have worked on this further out, they may have been able to trade him. Can't really trade a guy that everyone knows is about to be cut.

D

Deleted member 6794

If they'd have worked on this further out, they may have been able to trade him. Can't really trade a guy that everyone knows is about to be cut.

It's possible to trade a player even if it is widely known that the team plans on cutting him if a deal doesn't materialize as another team can guarantee acquire the player that way while having to compete with 30 other clubs once he becomes a free agent.

It's disappointing Thompson wasn't able to get anything in return for Sitton, especially after learning about the details of the contract he signed with the Bears.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unofficially Sitton a Bear. 3-Years, ~$21M, with $10M guaranteed. I'd post link, but too lazy.

Wish him the best, and always a Packer.

Still, Go Pack Go!

P.S. Looks like he can commute from his GB home;-)
This is why the Bears are the Bears. They have needs at LB, most of the secondary, and offensive skill positions are sketchy. Spending $21M on an upgrade at guard will move them from 7-9 to an 8-8 season and help limit them from resigning any of their young prospects in a few years.

Maybe they thought having an angry ex-Packer would give them insight into the Packers and Rodgers mindset. Even if they did, we will still probably crush them.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's possible to trade a player even if it is widely known that the team plans on cutting him if a deal doesn't materialize as another team can guarantee acquire the player that way while having to compete with 30 other clubs once he becomes a free agent.

It's disappointing Thompson wasn't able to get anything in return for Sitton, especially after learning about the details of the contract he signed with the Bears.

I understand that it CAN happen, but usually doesn't. It seems that most teams are willing to save their draft picks and risk having to compete with other teams. I'm sure that TT knew this and decided that, for some reason, this was the way to do it. That's the part of this that I don't get. He did a smart thing by getting another 7th rounder down the road for a free agent but didn't think it was worth tipping his hand on Sitton to get something for him?

Then again, maybe TT thinks that if teams get a look at Sitton's back, they won't want to trade for him. Who knows. Certainly not me.

D

Deleted member 6794

This is why the Bears are the Bears. They have needs at LB, most of the secondary, and offensive skill positions are sketchy.

The Bears addressed the linebacker position this offseason by signing Trevathan and Freeman. You're right about their secondary and skill positions though.

D

Deleted member 6794

Then again, maybe TT thinks that if teams get a look at Sitton's back, they won't want to trade for him.

I'm quite sure the Bears had Sitton take a physical before signing him to a contract. I don't think a team trading for him would have handled it differently.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's true, but most of those guys were lesser knowns or role players. There's the Greg Jennings types, but we did try hard to keep Jennings.

When a player is a perennial top 5 player at his postion and suddenly becomes a FA, I expect him to be compensated with that value, at least moreso than compensated according to the value that their most recent front office put on him.

Top guards are actually an 8-9M market. I think the 'only' getting 7M probably reflects those concerns.

Apparently going by yearly average. If so, he's now the 8th highest paid in the league.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys can pass physicals who aren't 100% physically. There was never any doubt that he'd pass a physical since he was active for every practice and played in the preseason. It's just a matter of if the packers and their docs think this is a bigger long term risk than the bears docs.

D

Deleted member 6794

Guys can pass physicals who aren't 100% physically. There was never any doubt that he'd pass a physical since he was active for every practice and played in the preseason. It's just a matter of if the packers and their docs think this is a bigger long term risk than the bears docs.

That doesn't explain why the Packers weren't able to trade Sitton at all.