? About the jerseys

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since a lot of you know about general things about football and have helped me before with nagging questions, I thought I'd try another one.

Years ago, when I was still a kid, one of my friends told me that his dad claims that after the game the players just throw away their jerseys and get a new one for the next game.
So what do you think?
Any idea if that's true or not?
Or any idea how many games, on average, it is until a player replaces his jersey?
:Clueless:

+RAY+

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Im pretty sure they dont just throw them away after each game. Those things are embroidered by reebok and very durable. Im sure that can run up a pretty big bill by the end of the season. They probably (and Im just speculating) just get a new one once the old ones arent perfect looking any more.. ripped, too friggan many stains from hitting the ground etc... Id probably guess that the average player goes through 7 or 8 jerseys per year.... Unless you get sacked 50 times in one season!! LOL!!!

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
i think there was one or something, but atleast a playoff caliber team like us dont have to worry bout something like that, am i right?

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heres my 2 cents. I am a card collector. Since the late 1990's, card companies (Upper Deck, Topps) have been including a piece of the players jersey in the card. Now those pieces can be a simple piece of green jersey (using the pack for an example) or can be as complicated as including a piece of the jersey, stitching and number. (I will try to upload pics later). From my understanding, the card companies either pay the individual player or the team for the jerseys.
So to answer your question, I do believe the player gets a new uni before each game and possibly even during a game in order to fulfill the card companies order. Also, during the Rookie Premier (where all the big name rooks meet for the card companies and sign autos etc) the rookie can wear anywhere of upwards to 30-40 different jerseys just so the card company can say that the piece of jersey was worn by said player. So the team/player gets a pretty penny for the jerseys that change in and out of.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
I know they don't throw em away. Game Worm Jersey are worth a lot of money on the collector scene.

You'll see fake "Game Worn" Farve Jerseys on Ebay all the time going for $600-900. And those are FAKES!! Poor suckers.

Real Farve game worn are up around $5000 I think if you can even find one.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since a lot of you know about general things about football and have helped me before with nagging questions, I thought I'd try another one.

Years ago, when I was still a kid, one of my friends told me that his dad claims that after the game the players just throw away their jerseys and get a new one for the next game.
So what do you think?
Any idea if that's true or not?
Or any idea how many games, on average, it is until a player replaces his jersey?
:Clueless:

The jerseys are not thrown away I can promise you that. How often they are used depends on the team and on the player. This has all changed over time though.

The packers use to take the jerseys they wore all season then turned them into practice jerseys for the next training camp. I do not believe they still do that.

Currently the packers use the same jerseys all season. Rodgers might have had a few different ones but other than that even the big stars for the packers dont use many jerseys during the season.

The Dolphins big name players get a new jersey every game and so do the Vikings big name players. They are moved around in house to people who work with/for the team, or sold on the private market. Favre frequently would wear two jerseys a game in order to make money selling them.

The Jaguars repackage their jerseys for other players to be used alot of the time. As with other teams no name players, if the jersey is so worn it needs to be replaced the player will get a new one. Those are not thrown out.

The packers are VERY TIGHT with their jerseys since about 2000. I am a collector and I have not seen anything besides favre get out of the locker room since then. I have never seen a legit Driver, Woodson, Rodgers, Jennings, Mathews, or Kampman for sale or in private collection.

All NFL game jerseys are made in New Berlin, Wi.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know they don't throw em away. Game Worm Jersey are worth a lot of money on the collector scene.

You'll see fake "Game Worn" Farve Jerseys on Ebay all the time going for $600-900. And those are FAKES!! Poor suckers.

Real Farve game worn are up around $5000 I think if you can even find one.

I have seen them go in the past couple years between $10,000 and $20,000. My friend just sold his last year for a little over $12,000. I was offered one last week for $9,000 that I turned down.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as the rest of the stuff the players use, its all kept. Some if sold by the packers once a season, and others never leaves. An example would be helmets. I have never seen a real Favre helmet for sale or in private collection. A friend of mine is considered an expert at packers equipment (he has a blog but without his permission I am not going to list his name) and he said he has never seen one either. This basically means Favre only wore a few helmets his entire Packers career. Many players only wear 1 helmet their entire career, thus this is the hardest piece of equipment to get.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You did say that but I never argued that point about event worn items, it would be irresponsible of me to edit that post. I just took the whole thing and cut and pasted it. I never said anything about rookie photo shoots, I posted that because we disagreed on COAs among other things.

The jerseys are owned by the team then sold or given away. The players have no rights to the jerseys (unless special arrangements are made such as peyton manning for his peyback foundation or Favre for his pilot). Its fraud and its in the hands of the FBI but I dont think the player has much of a shake in the whole thing. If Topps was going to make a deal for equipment they would most likely make a deal with a team. Sometimes they buy from an auction house. They say they think everything they sell is legit but that is not the case as any collector will tell you.

I assume your talking about the HBO real sports video?

As far as Favre goes there is no proof that he willingly signed items that were fake but the stories are out there that say he just cared about the $ and would swear at people who questioned him when he signed items that clearly were not game worn. Here is a great article about a situation that sadely became common place with favres equipment in the past 10 years.

http://www.sportscollectorsdigest.com/upload/images/PDF/favre.pdf

I never said all game worn jersey cards were fake, I said most. I think if you picked 100 random game worn jersey cards on ebay, over 50 would be fake. Maybe I just feel that way because this business is one of fraud and forgery. With little or no way of proving a swatch is real, the opportunity is huge to commit fraud.

Members online

Latest posts