Abbrederis

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
IMO....if Abby wants to keep playing and is medically cleared....he will be give that opportunity somewhere.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FWIW Abbrederis was a fifth round pick.

Thank you.

While some teams might be scared off by him being injury-prone others in need of help at receiver would most likely take a gamble on him.

I think there will be quite a few receivers available who will be higher on that wish list unless Abbrederis somehow proves in a very short time to be an NFL stud, at which point the Packers would likely make him their 6th WR anyway.

H

HardRightEdge

FWIW Abbrederis was a fifth round pick. While some teams might be scared off by him being injury-prone others in need of help at receiver would most likely take a gamble on him.
You are correct. However, Abbrederis was the 36th. and last pick in the 5th. round. Had the Packers not picked him, 31 teams were willing to see him fall to the 6th. round.

I should say, while I was accidentally kinda sorta right in the first place, it was by accident...I was thinking he was a 6th. rounder. Thank you for correcting GoPGo as well, who was also clearly in error. ;)

In any event, players without a strong draft pedigree, no NFL experience, and an injury history don't fare well in the NFL, especially once the 53 man rosters are set. A team in need of a receiver is not going to be too keen to go from an injured player to an injury risk, especially with a guy who's never taken an NFL snap coming to an unfamiliar system and QB. He's not the kind of guy you'd chance as a plug-and-play.

He'd probably draw some interest as a week-to-week $6,000 per game PS player on an evaluation basis, but that's not what we're talking about.

In any case, if he's going to play NFL football, he needs to get on the field and make this discussion a moot point.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think there will be quite a few receivers available who will be higher on that wish list unless Abbrederis somehow proves in a very short time to be an NFL stud, at which point the Packers would likely make him their 6th WR anyway.

I don't think a lot of receivers more talented than Abbrederis will be available on the waiver wire.

D

Deleted member 6794

In any event, players without a strong draft pedigree, no NFL experience, and an injury history don't fare well in the NFL, especially once the 53 man rosters are set. A team in need of a receiver is not going to be too keen to go from an injured player to an injury risk, especially with a guy who's never taken an NFL snap coming to an unfamiliar system and QB. He's not the kind of guy you'd chance as a plug-and-play.

He'd probably draw some interest as a week-to-week $6,000 per game PS player on an evaluation basis, but that's not what we're talking about.

In any case, if he's going to play NFL football, he needs to get on the field and make this discussion a moot point.

Abbrederis dropped to the end of the fifth round of the draft mostly because of injury concerns. I think teams (like the Panthers for example which just lost Kelvin Benjamin for the season) will take a gamble on him when in need of an upgrade at receiver as the risk for them is minimal.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think a lot of receivers more talented than Abbrederis will be available on the waiver wire.
I think a lot of talented receivers who proved they have NFL durability will be on the wire. If White doesn't make the roster he will almost certainly be among several who would potentially be signed before Abbrederis. All the talent in the world doesn't matter when you can stay on the field.

I think you underestimate the seriousness of this concussion issue. The fact that he's taking 3 weeks or more to come back from a concussion where he hit his head on the ground after initially landing on his backside is a pretty big deal. I know JA insists he only had one concussion in college, but the fact that he had two other games where he left following a head injury combined with his current recovery time gives an awful lot of credibility to scouts' concerns that he likely had at least 3 concussions at UW. What happens when a POS like Meriweather or Finnegan puts a helmet in his grill? I shudder to think about it. Some people are physically more prone to concussions and it appears that JA is one of them. I don't want to see this kid end up like Muhammed Ali someday. If he was my son I would be urging him to think hard about what he really wants out of life. It might be getting close to time to take a page from his former UW teammate's book.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

Abbrederis dropped to the end of the fifth round of the draft mostly because of injury concerns. I think teams (like the Panthers for example which just lost Kelvin Benjamin for the season) will take a gamble on him when in need of an upgrade at receiver as the risk for them is minimal.
Anybody injured at this juncture will likely be replaced before Abbrederis becomes available, if he does become available. Conversely, there will be an array of receivers to choose from after final cut downs. The point being, short notice on the eve of the season is not an opportune time for anybody to be looking for job, let alone the factors that come into play with Abbrederis. With such a player there is an opportunity risk for any team, just as it is with the Packers, in putting him on a 53 man roster...the opportunity to keep somebody else who is more reliable health-wise.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think a lot of talented receivers who proved they have NFL durability will be on the wire. If White doesn't make the roster he will almost certainly be among several who would potentially be signed before Abbrederis. All the talent in the world doesn't matter when you can stay on the field.

I think you underestimate the seriousness of this concussion issue. The fact that he's taking 3 weeks or more to come back from a concussion where he hit his head on the ground after initially landing on his backside is a pretty big deal. I know JA insists he only had one concussion in college, but the fact that he had two other games where he left following a head injury combined with his current recovery time gives an awful lot of credibility to scouts' concerns that he likely had at least 3 concussions at UW. What happens when a guy like Meriweather or Finnegan puts a helmet in his grill? I shudder to think about it. Some people are physically more prone to concussions and it appears that JA is one of them. I don't want to see this kid end up like Muhammed Ali someday. If he was my son I would be urging him to think hard about what he really wants out of life. It might be getting close to time to take a page from his former UW teammate's book.

I'm concerned about Abbrederis' latest concussion and the length of his recovery time as well. All I'm saying is that if the Packers release him and he wants to continue to play football there will be teams taking a gamble on him based on talent.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm concerned about Abbrederis' latest concussion and the length of his recovery time as well. All I'm saying is that if the Packers release him and he wants to continue to play football there will be teams taking a gamble on him based on talent.

I just don't see it. After doing some looking, it appears he didn't even hit his head. Sounds like he landed on his coccyx and the concussion was secondary. Can any team realistically expect him to be able to take full-on NFL contact and not get concussed? How much $$$ are they going to throw away to find out? My hunch is that he won't even retire. I think he'll hit the waiver wire and drift off into NFL history and that will probably be the best thing for him. But who knows? Maybe he defies the odds and has a long productive NFL career somewhere. Right now it just doesn't look very likely.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
do you have a link to the video? I have not seen it yet, just read the description. Thanks

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Im not quite sure how picking Abby or any player for that matter, up off waivers is really a "gamble". If they are playing for minimum and on a no guaranteed contract, besides the roster spot, not a whole lot invested.

D

Deleted member 6794

I just don't see it. After doing some looking, it appears he didn't even hit his head. Sounds like he landed on his coccyx and the concussion was secondary. Can any team realistically expect him to be able to take full-on NFL contact and not get concussed? How much $$$ are they going to throw away to find out? My hunch is that he won't even retire. I think he'll hit the waiver wire and drift off into NFL history and that will probably be the best thing for him. But who knows? Maybe he defies the odds and has a long productive NFL career somewhere. Right now it just doesn't look very likely.

Teams wouldn't have to make a major financial commitment to sign Abbrederis. I expect he would agree to a contract close to the minimum and would only get paid while being on the roster. Even if he ends up on IR again he could be waived with a cheap injury settlement.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teams wouldn't have to make a major financial commitment to sign Abbrederis. I expect he would agree to a contract close to the minimum and would only get paid while being on the roster. Even if he ends up on IR again he could be waived with a cheap injury settlement.
Let me ask you this. Do you personally think he can physically hold up to NFL punishment and remain concussion-free for a significant amount of time? I don't think he can. I doubt if any NFL GM thinks he can. If he is out for 3 weeks hitting his head on the ground after landing on his butt, what is a dirty headhunter hit going to do to him? He's just not physically suited to the NFL. He has the skills, but not the tools.

In my line of work I've seen first-hand plenty of people who have psychosis and dementia caused by brain injuries including multiple severe concussions. The next one will probably come easier and have an even longer recovery time. I hope for his sake nobody signs him and he follows Chris Borland's lead because he seems like a good kid with a good head on his shoulders and it would sicken me to see him permanently disabled from allowing his brain to be beaten to a pulp.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Until they wrap every player in bubble wrap and duct tape and make the field out of foam, any and all players are susceptible to a career ending injury on any given play. Are some more susceptible due to previous injuries? Yes, especially when it comes to head injuries. I think the head injuries are the most scary, because they are potentially a future "Mohamad Ali time bomb ticking". All that being said, I think most players are now well informed of the risks and potentially view their profession as a stunt man might..."on any given play my career/life might be over, but I'm going to take the risk in exchange for the rewards". I am guessing that this is something that Abby is weighing right now (Risk VS Reward) and may also be the reason we have not seen him back on the field.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You are correct Poppa, 2010 he suffered two and his helmet was modified to try and help prevent future ones. Lacy I believe had the same thing; concussion followed by a modified helmet. Which kind of makes you wonder, why aren't ALL players wearing this modified helmet?

But it seems like whenever a player suffers a concussion, from that point on they are a higher risk. As GoPGo said above, each successive one is of more and more of a concern.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Probably not, but there will probably be other receivers who have shown more in NFL games (exhibition or regular season) and with a stronger track record of being available to play. Most talented player in the world doesn't help a team if he can't stay on the field.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's luck more than it is a modified helmet. No helmet is going to stop the brain from moving in the skull.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are correct Poppa, 2010 he suffered two and his helmet was modified to try and help prevent future ones. Lacy I believe had the same thing; concussion followed by a modified helmet. Which kind of makes you wonder, why aren't ALL players wearing this modified helmet?

But it seems like whenever a player suffers a concussion, from that point on they are a higher risk. As GoPGo said above, each successive one is of more and more of a concern.

Lacy actually went back to the older style helmet after suffering a concussion with the newer helmet early last season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well maybe then they need to start covering the outside of the helmets with rubber foam for added protection when hitting the ground or helmet on player hits? :coffee: Would look like a bunch of "bobble heads" out there, but might save some concussions and other injuries? :cool:

Adding an exploding (on major impacts) water pack around the outside of the helmet might provide for some entertaining moments.

On the serious side. Players are getting stronger, bigger and faster and the evolution of the athletic body has somewhat surpassed the evolution of equipment. Given all of the recent medical studies on concussions and injuries, I can see some modifications in equipment coming in the next few years. Rule changes have helped, but the equipment could use some improvement as well.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
a soft outside will really put the neck at risk if it doesn't glance off things and would probably result in much more serious injuries overall. There's a reason they haven't done it yet.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Until they wrap every player in bubble wrap and duct tape and make the field out of foam, any and all players are susceptible to a career ending injury on any given play. Are some more susceptible due to previous injuries? Yes, especially when it comes to head injuries. I think the head injuries are the most scary, because they are potentially a future "Mohamad Ali time bomb ticking". All that being said, I think most players are now well informed of the risks and potentially view their profession as a stunt man might..."on any given play my career/life might be over, but I'm going to take the risk in exchange for the rewards". I am guessing that this is something that Abby is weighing right now (Risk VS Reward) and may also be the reason we have not seen him back on the field.
This is something my uncle mentioned the other day. I think you could be right in that he may well be contemplating retirement and the Packers are quietly letting him take his time thinking it over.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's luck more than it is a modified helmet. No helmet is going to stop the brain from moving in the skull.
No, but it can help slow the deceleration of the head inside the helmet on impact, which in turn can slow the internal impact of the brain. I'm not sure it does either to a degree to be clinically significant though.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
a soft outside will really put the neck at risk if it doesn't glance off things and would probably result in much more serious injuries overall. There's a reason they haven't done it yet.

You are correct. It was tried in the 60s at Ohio State, who had a very wide padded area (red) from front to back on their helmets. External padding was tried by other teams as well, but abandoned by the end of the decade. The concern was that the soft surface adds to the rotational forces (which are the majority in football) to the head and neck.

Actually, there is a "slippery" membrane that is being promoted called MIPS--Multidirectional Impact Protection System--that is designed to decrease the rotational forces involved with head collisions. They're available in bicycling helmets, and I believe the NHL. I can't find anything on Google about the system being used in the NFL.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts