Abbrederis

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't know how you can keep the head from stopping in an abrupt fashion in football by using a helmet. unstoppable forces meet immoveable objects and trajectories are changed abruptly, the brain doesn't stop moving until it too meets and immoveable object, the inside of the skull.

I think chasing the helmet as a way to reduce concussion is futile. Rule changes will help, but how much are they willing to change the game? and they'll never get rid of all of them. A soccer ball to the noggin can cause concussion, please don't make football worse than soccer

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
One interesting thing I read was that Motorcycle helmets are made for one impact, which makes them safer then football helmets, since the shell is designed to absorb the blow and break. Obviously, it would be a very slow game if after each play, 10 guys were getting new helmets, but I wouldn't mind seeing Rodgers wearing something like that LOL

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't know how you can keep the head from stopping in an abrupt fashion in football by using a helmet. unstoppable forces meet immoveable objects and trajectories are changed abruptly, the brain doesn't stop moving until it too meets and immoveable object, the inside of the skull.

I think chasing the helmet as a way to reduce concussion is futile. Rule changes will help, but how much are they willing to change the game? and they'll never get rid of all of them. A soccer ball to the noggin can cause concussion, please don't make football worse than soccer

IMO, the almost worthless helmet "improvements" have made concussions worse. Players have this false sense of safety and a lot of idiots like Meriweather take that to mean it's safe to use it like a weapon. Maybe some lessons could be learned from rugby, the mother of football, where concussions are fairly infrequent despite no helmet.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Head and neck injuries have always been a black eye for Football (American) and its the nature of the beast with way the game and players (bigger and faster) have evolved. So unless equipment is improved or rules are changed (even more) it will continue to be a part of it.

Odd thing with Abby, which this thread is all about, it wasn't a collision with another player that caused his concussion, it was the ground. No rules (aside from "feet have to stay on the ground") will change that.

Last edited:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Maybe some lessons could be learned from rugby, the mother of football, where concussions are fairly infrequent despite no helmet.
I've been tempted to suggest leather helmets or no helmets but honestly my guess is no one one knows the frequency of of concussions from that bygone era. I do know after playing sandlot tackle football from a very early age until after high school, the frequency of concussions was very, very low. But of course we were somewhat less than world class athletes running into each other.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been tempted to suggest leather helmets or no helmets but honestly my guess is no one one knows the frequency of of concussions from that bygone era. I do know after playing sandlot tackle football from a very early age until after high school, the frequency of concussions was very, very low. But of course we were somewhat less than world class athletes running into each other.

I think possibly the only realistic way concussions could be decreased might be to make any tackle initiate above the chest to be a personal foul or something. I'm sure getting rid of helmets would reduce the number of concussions because guys would not be using their heads as weapons anymore, but accidental skull fractures and deaths would be far more likely, just like before helmets came on the scene. Maybe they should require that all tackles be wrap-up tackles like in rugby. I don't know the answer.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i've often been of the opinion that all these rules about defenseless receiver, blow to the head, etc, etc could be done away with and replace it with a wrap when you tackle rule. Heads up, arms out and wrap up tackle and things would change. We can't get rid of all the risk. The lineman are pounding heads every play, no 4 point or 3 point stance? that will be weird, but it would help the repeated stuff, but at the end of the day, a lot of people play football and end up just fine overall brain wise. but any time you get guys ranging in size and weight like that, things are bound to happen.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One major improvement that could be made would be to have players wear a helmet this is much tighter and form fitting to the head. The outside of the helmet can be as soft as you want but if the player's head is moving inside the helmet, then there's going to be a problem. I see players casually push their helmets off during games all the time and there's no possible way that those helmets are tight enough to prevent the head from moving inside the helmet. If the head was unable to move within the helmet and the outside of the helmet could lower the impact, you would have a real shot at lowering concussion rates. That won't really happen anytime soon though because helmets like that would be uncomfortable and I doubt seriously that players would give up the convenience of just popping a helmet off.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Helmets are already tight. Have you ever worn one that was fitted properly? Even if you somehow made it tighter, it wouldn't change the fact that the brain moves inside the skull when concussions happen. The key to reducing concussions is reducing the suddenness of the deceleration or acceleration of the head on impact. The only helmet innovation I can think of that might have a real effect would be to have some kind of crumple zones inside the helmet, much like a car. It could be something that could be quickly replaced by the equipment manager after a major hit and the player could be back on the field in 2 or 3 plays. In fact, I think I'm going to grab my old high school helmet and get to work in my garage...

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Helmets are already tight. Have you ever worn one that was fitted properly? Even if you somehow made it tighter, it wouldn't change the fact that the brain moves inside the skull when concussions happen. The key to reducing concussions is reducing the suddenness of the deceleration or acceleration of the head on impact. The only helmet innovation I can think of that might have a real effect would be to have some kind of crumple zones inside the helmet, much like a car. It could be something that could be quickly replaced by the equipment manager after a major hit and the player could be back on the field in 2 or 3 plays. In fact, I think I'm going to grab my old high school helmet and get to work in my garage...

Perhaps I did a poor job of making my point. I know a tighter helmet won't eliminate concussions because, as you point out, the brain moves inside the skull. However, eliminating as much movement as possible would allow the outside of the helmet to do a better job of reducing the impact experienced by the head. Helmets can't be THAT tight if all it takes for a player to remove it is a casual push upwards on the facemask. Plus, as I mentioned, helmets would need to be custom fitted. A helmet might be tight at some contact points on the head but that doesn't mean it's tight at ALL contact points. Think of sitting in a car with a seat belt that's too lose on your chest. It might be tight across your lap, and the crumple zones on the car might deaden any impact, but you're still more likely to experience a more severe injury if the seat belt isn't tight all over (not a great analogy but the best I could think of off the top of my head).

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whats the big deal about him.. As much as I like the guy.. I don't think hes gonna make it on Packers Roster right now. Another team will pick him up for sure! I just don't see him having a long NFL career. Godspeed!

D

Deleted member 6794

Let me ask you this. Do you personally think he can physically hold up to NFL punishment and remain concussion-free for a significant amount of time? I don't think he can. I doubt if any NFL GM thinks he can. If he is out for 3 weeks hitting his head on the ground after landing on his butt, what is a dirty headhunter hit going to do to him? He's just not physically suited to the NFL. He has the skills, but not the tools.

Unfortunately I don´t think Abbrederis is capable of holding up in the pro game. This concussion really makes me worry about him as well and it would probably be the best choice for him to retire. But I´m not convinced that if he decides to keep playing and doesn´t make the Packers roster no other GM would take a gamble on him.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don´t think Abbrederis is capable of holding up in the pro game. This concussion really makes me worry about him as well and it would probably be the best choice for him to retire. But I´m not convinced that if he decides to keep playing and doesn´t make the Packers roster no other GM would take a gamble on him.
I agree that there may be someone out there to take a gamble on him, but if that gamble fails, who stands to lose the most? I hope JA understands that he's the one who stands to lose the most.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree that there may be someone out there to take a gamble on him, but if that gamble fails, who stands to lose the most? I hope JA understands that he's the one who stands to lose the most.

Reading an article in the JS some days ago it seems like the entire family is in complete denial about Abbrederis having a concussion issue. I really hope he will be able to walk away from football on his own terms, whenever that might be.

Here's the link to the article:

http://m.jsonline.com/sports/packer...es-with-concussion-b99560718z1-322476881.html

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe some lessons could be learned from rugby, the mother of football, where concussions are fairly infrequent despite no helmet.

Not sure about the incidence of concussions in rugby, but there's this on catastophic head/neck injury in the 2 sports:

"In 2011... the Auckland University of Technology compared the number of catastrophic incidents (i.e., resulting in paralysis or death) in rugby with other sports between 1975 and 2005. It found that with the exception of England, rugby incidents worldwide showed 4.6 catastrophic injuries for every 100,000 players annually." - See more at: http://www.brain-injury-law-center....uries-rugby-vs-football/#sthash.QJlMNY4g.dpuf

"The same Auckland University of Technology report showed American football resulting in 1.0 catastrophic incidents per every 100,000 players between 1975 and 2005. That’s more than 75% fewer incidents than the index tallied in rugby."

- See more at: http://www.brain-injury-law-center....uries-rugby-vs-football/#sthash.QJlMNY4g.dpuf

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One major improvement that could be made would be to have players wear a helmet this is much tighter and form fitting to the head.
Actually, the opposite may be true. Most hits to the head are off center, causing a rotational moment of energy. The MIPS helmet insert is designed to moderate these forces by adding a slippery surface inside the helmet. Bicycle and hockey helmets are now available with them.

D

Deleted member 6794

McCarthy said today that when he saw the way Abbrederis fell on the field it was serious. He was hoping it was his back.

Maybe all other players on the roster would have ended up with a concussion on that play as well.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still have not seen any video, but landing on your butt and having your head snap back and hit he ground are some of the worst impacts you can have. I still don't know what really happened, just verbal accounts and nobody has provided any video yet, or have I missed it?

D

Deleted member 6794

I still have not seen any video, but landing on your butt and having your head snap back and hit he ground are some of the worst impacts you can have. I still don't know what really happened, just verbal accounts and nobody has provided any video yet, or have I missed it?

No video of the incident has been published. Fans aren´t allowed to film at practice.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy said he thinks Abbrederis may return to practice today and noted that that was one of the moving variables in getting the roster down to 75. Not sure what he means by that, if he's implying that Jared would have been released if he weren't ready to practice today. It's hard to imagine that he still has enough time to somehow make this roster, but it would be something if he does. If he can play, I'd have to think he'll get a ton of reps on Thursday.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
He hasn't practiced much in a year. I would not be surprised to see him start the season on the practice squad. If he stays healthy there he may get promoted when more injuries hit.

D

Deleted member 6794

He hasn't practiced much in a year. I would not be surprised to see him start the season on the practice squad. If he stays healthy there he may get promoted when more injuries hit.

Every other team in need of a receiver could claim him off waivers though if the Packers try to move him to the practice squad.

Latest posts