Aaron Rodgers watch.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D

Deleted member 6794

One good game tomorrow, looking like his old self, could put to rest much of the concerns that have surfaced about the Packers' great quarterback but in the meantime maybe an addressed thread is in order.

In my opinion even Rodgers having a good game against a well below average Lions defense missing several key starters shouldn't put to rest concerns about his decline in play. He would have to perform on a high level against a good defense for that to happen.

OP
OP
P

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion even Rodgers having a good game against a well below average Lions defense missing several key starters shouldn't put to rest concerns about his decline in play. He would have to perform on a high level against a good defense for that to happen.

I did say "much," not "all" concerns. But good point about the opportunity to show something significant given the state of the defense he'll be facing.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree that it wouldn't necessarily put it to rest but IMO most of the things many of us are down on Rodgers about don't really have to do with his stats they are more about his approach to the game. Does he still ignore the short game and force the long ball and we get lucky and catch a few of them? Does he still hold the ball to long? does he still bail out of the pocket trying to make things happen? These are things he does against good or bad defenses so no matter the state of the Lions we could get a sense of these issues. He could have a great game or a poor game and we could still see "improvements" in these areas depending on what happens around him.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I'm going to say about Eddie Lacy and their sputtering ground game is that there are not many backs who would average more than 55.5 yards a game when they are only getting the ball 13 times.

Exactly, this ground game sputtering is because we won't chuck James Starks out the door.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Got this from the NFL website. For the rose-colored glasses crowd this won't work, but it's from people who actually know the game.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...s-defense-packers-offense-overcome-early-woes
You give Bucky Brooks much more credit than he deserves. Except for misreading the running game results as a bad player instead of lack of opportunity, nothing he says is different than many on this board.
All I'm going to say about Eddie Lacy and their sputtering ground game is that there are not many backs who would average more than 55.5 yards a game when they are only getting the ball 13 times.
Yeah, I'm not sure what Bucky looked at to come up with his 'expert analysis' with conclusions like this.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's going to take more than one game for him to earn everybody's trust.

He is coming off a slump that started last season.
So for me it will take more than just a win against Detroit to show that the Air-Run we know and love is back once and for all.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The easiest way to take the pressure off is to run this football. Give it to lacy, put him in I form, or really anything outside shotgun/pistol. This opens play action. Effective Play action opens up route trees. Good route trees open up wrs. Open wrs make Aarons look great.

Simple.

EDIT: or keep doing what we have for the last 12 months, and hope it finally "clicks" again.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember before last year it seemed MM would run Lacy the first half,put Starks in for the 3rd quarter and let Lacy pound out the 4th quarter. What happened to that? Was it Lacy's being out of shape last year that caused the change? Hard for a RB to get in a groove running every other series

D

Deleted member 6794

While I agree that Lacy should get more carries his production isn't anything to get excited about. Currently there are six running backs having more rushing yards than him on less attempts.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
One good game will result in: "Yeah, but it's against the Lions". Two in row will be: "Yeah, but it's against the Lions and the Giants. The Giants aren't who they're built up to be." ... and so forth and so on until the end of the season when some will say ... "They had the easiest schedule in the NFL" ...

In my opinion, this offense is in pre-season mode because these guys (Rodgers in particular) don't like pre-season. If McCarthy isn't kicking his own *** for NOT having these guys participate as REGULAR PLAYERS, he should be. Injuries be damned and there are a lot of them because these guys are coddled to no end by freegin' contract ... there should be no exception to working a full fricken camp. God awmighty, the NFLPA drives me crazy -- play the damned game already.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps the silver lining in this game might be how much "education" out young secondary got from guys like Marvin Jones, and yet still managed to get a win.Whether or not players like Randall, Rollins, and Hawkins put that schooling to good use and learn from it remains to be seen.

I noticed that Trevor Davis got in the game for a couple of plays (including a bad drop), which begs the question, has he moved past Abbrederis on the depth chart? Abby was no where to be seen.

Nice game by Lacy. And if Lane Taylor is vastly inferior to Josh Sitton, you couldn't tell it by Sunday's game - the O-line held up pretty well.

A Justin Perillo sighting. Nice play, but let's hope Cook's injury is not serious and he's back catching passes by the time the Giants come to town.

Thomas and Gunter dropped what should have been easy interceptions.

Through three games, the run defense looks solid. The real test will, come when they face Dallas in week six.

A win is a win, and not easy to come by in the NFL. Hopefully we can get healthier over the bye week.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps the silver lining in this game might be how much "education" out young secondary got from guys like Marvin Jones, and yet still managed to get a win.Whether or not players like Randall, Rollins, and Hawkins put that schooling to good use and learn from it remains to be seen.

I noticed that Trevor Davis got in the game for a couple of plays (including a bad drop), which begs the question, has he moved past Abbrederis on the depth chart? He was no where to be seen.

Nice game by Lacy. And if lane Taylor is vastly inferior to Josh Sitton, you couldn't tell it by Sunday's game - the O-line held up pretty well.

A Justin Perillo sighting. Nice play, but let's hope Cook's injury is not serious and he's back catching passes by the time the Giants come to town.

Thomas and Gunter dropped what should have been easy interceptions.

Through three games, the run defense looks solid. The real test will, come when they face Dallas in week six.

A win is a win, and not easy to come by in the NFL. Hopefully we can get healthier over the bye week.
4 dropped balls by Cobb, Davis, Gunter and Thomas. If even two of those are caught, one on each side of the ball, this ends up at least a 17-20 point win and game is never close or in doubt at the end. The entire game dynamic changes. Guys have to catch the dang ball when it comes to them.

D

Deleted member 6794

I noticed that Trevor Davis got in the game for a couple of plays (including a bad drop), which begs the question, has he moved past Abbrederis on the depth chart? He was no where to be seen.

The reason for Davis receiving snaps ahead of Abbrederis was that the coaching staff wanted to get more speed on the field.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
If he is able to compile some crazy TD to INT ratio (like 38-42 to 5-6....and he is currently at 7 to 1) and is able to put together a few 320+ yard passing games (getting him well over the 4,000 mark), and has the record to go on top of it, he will be in serious consideration. Also needs to have more high passer rating games.

I think the next several weeks he could take advantage of some bad defenses and pad some stats. I'm obviously much more concerned about the W/L column, but I would love to see our guy capture his 3rd MVP honor.

It's quite possible he could get to 40 passing TD's. He's currently on pace for 37 (and that's not including 2 rushing TD's), but if that offense resembles anything compared to what it looked like in the first half against Detroit, he will be in discussion for top 3 easily.

D

Deleted member 6794

If he is able to compile some crazy TD to INT ratio (like 38-42 to 5-6....and he is currently at 7 to 1) and is able to put together a few 320+ yard passing games (getting him well over the 4,000 mark), and has the record to go on top of it, he will be in serious consideration. Also needs to have more high passer rating games.

I think the next several weeks he could take advantage of some bad defenses and pad some stats. I'm obviously much more concerned about the W/L column, but I would love to see our guy capture his 3rd MVP honor.

It's quite possible he could get to 40 passing TD's. He's currently on pace for 37 (and that's not including 2 rushing TD's), but if that offense resembles anything compared to what it looked like in the first half against Detroit, he will be in discussion for top 3 easily.

In my opinion currently taking about Rodgers being the front runner to win his third MVP award are way premature. He has played one terrific half of football this season but has struggled for most of the rest. In addition he has yet to throw for more than 213 yards in a game in 2016.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I want what Tex Western is smoking, because it seems like he put that article together based mainly on a lingering buzz acquired from AR's performances from quite a while back!

Sunday's first half was a good sign, but by no means, IMO, is doing that for 1 half of football, against a pretty crappy banged up defense, evidence that AR and this offense are free from what has been ailing them for a year. I will be more convinced when we consistently see the offense perform, especially against a better defense then Detroits.

Last edited:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
In my opinion currently taking about Rodgers being the front runner to win his third MVP award are way premature. He has played one terrific half of football this season but has struggled for most of the rest. In addition he has yet to throw for more than 213 yards in a game in 2016.
Are you referring to my post or to the article? Because I am in no way implying that he is the front runner. Notice how my post is contingent on what could happen based on a projection that I am saying is possible.

Like I said, you could be referring to the article and not my post, but since my post was quoted, notice that I used words like "if", "I think", "could take advantage of", "it's quite possible", and "discussion for top 3". And to your point about the 213 yard passing high, I specifically said that he would need 320+ yard passing games.

None of those seem to imply that I am putting him as my MVP front runner. :D ;)

Members online

Latest posts