1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Aaron Rodgers says some Pro Bowlers embarrassed themselves

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by News Bot, Jan 31, 2012.

1. News Bot

News Bot News Bot

Ratings:
    +48
    Source: ProFootballTalk.com

2. morningwood

morningwood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +91
    The the Pro Bowl is a joke. Kinda sorry to see Rodgers calling out others though. I think that NFC running play was the first choorus of boos I heard, and it started with Rodgers walking to make the handoff. Personally I don't care about the lack of effort, but damn, pot meet kettle.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jules

Jules The Colts Fan

Ratings:
    +754
    I hate to agree but damn......that is when it started.

4. Southpaw

Southpaw Endorphin Junkie

Ratings:
    +422
    The Pro Bowl is the biggest joke of an all-star game in sports. It's absolutely pathetic. It's not even flag football. Guys won't even go full speed. Can't necessarily blame them. The game has no meaning at all. There is no reason to play hard. Which is why it should be eliminated altogether.

Spend the money you waste on this pathetic game on charity or Concussion/Head Trauma Research instead of paying some cringeworth phaggy time pop singer for pre game and charge the Hawaiian Natives out the wazoo for a glorified back yard pick up game and warm beer.

Sadly though the effort that you see at the pro bowl and the more stringent rules is what the league is going to be like in the next decade or so with all the rules and such.

Every drive is going to end in a 60 yard bomb with corners playing 30 yards off the line of scrimmage. No blitzing allowed, no press man coverage, no 3-4 defenses.

5. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,983
    http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/1/29/2757094/2012-pro-bowl-lesean-mccoy-run-video

Was it more he tried to go full speed, but saw he wouldnt run past McCoy? then slowed it up?

Looks to me that the 1st 2 yards, he seemed to run hard, but then let up ??

6. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    I wish they'd just can the game. Continue to give the honors, but can the game. Like that will ever happen. Cash cow.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Croak

Croak Terminally twisted.

Ratings:
    +1,335
    I read one suggestion that said perhaps it would help if they loaded the winners with pay and perks and the losers get little to nothing. Would the bottom line motivate them?

8. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    I think this horse is dead. What amount of money could they offer to top (and generally top paid) players in the game to get them to compete? The All-Stat game is not a competition. It's an exhibition. Even if that kinda works for NBA or MLB, it just doesn't work for the NFL. Its time to just 86 the game altogether.

9. Brandon

Brandon Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +106
    Aaron Rodgers is just pointing out the obvious, and no one should be faulting him. In fact he should be commended for speaking the truth where other players just don't seem to care. Peyton Manning was the same way in nearly all of his pro-bowl appearances, he consistently expressed a desire to win the game and he hated running the gadget plays. Even Ray Lewis expresses this same mentality, he wants his defense focused on winning the game.

Not too long ago the Pro Bowl featured a higher level of intensity--maybe not balls to the wall 100% effort, but WAY more effort than it has been the last 5 years or so. It really makes no sense to even have the game if players aren't going to show their passion for the game itself. Even if there is nothing on the line, a true athlete, like Rodgers, should want to beat who they are playing. Pre-season games are more fun to watch than the Pro-Bowl is.

10. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +966
    Hey, it's men playing a kids game. They are out there to have a fun week. No one wants to get hurt or hurt anyone. It is what it is. How would you feel if A-Rod got an ACL injury that took him out for the 2012 season because they played full speed in a meaningless game? Remember when Brees dislocated his elbow?

11. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    That's why they should just get rid of it. Still select your all-stars. Hell, still give them a trip to Hawaii is you want. Make them do appearances for a day while they're there to recoup a little of the expense. Do a skills challenge. But please get rid of the game.

12. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +966
    Have them do one of those things where they have to do all those challenges like jump across moving things and get bounced in the water. AFC against NFC game show style.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,405
    Like in the show wipeout?

• Like Like x 2
  14. morningwood

morningwood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +91
    Maybe they could combine the Pro Bowl with Pregnant and 16. Big Ben could "start" for the AFC I guess.

• Like Like x 2
  15. morningwood

morningwood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +91
    I don't know, maybe. It looked to me like he was moving pretty leisurely. It's not a big deal to me, hell the whole game looked like a "walk through" practice -- with only the QB's and receivers having any fun. I just don't see calling anyone out when there is obviously a gentlemen's agreement for everyone to pull their punches.

16. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,405
    The Rodgers to Fitzgerald connection was hot.

17. c33j44y

c33j44y Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +11
    not gonna lie .. a very excellent idea indeed.

18. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871

100% agree

the Pro Bowl is a joke, next year I doubt they will fill up a stadium, don't know if they did this year cause I didn't watch but from the rumors, the stands were empty.

19. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,470
    They could do an NFL jeopardy, one version with QBs only so it's legitimate, and then another one open to regular players. With the low Wonderlic scores by some of these guys, I suppose it would be like Will Ferrell's version of Celebrity Jeopardy on SNL.

20. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    It's not the other players that should be embarrassed.
    It should be Aaron and the rest of the Packers.
    They shouldn't have been there in the first place.
    It's like "Well, you played hard and didn't get to the Super Bowl. But here is a consolation prize of playing in one more game to show that you are still good but not good enough as those who beat you."
    Now that is embarrassing.

21. greenandgold

greenandgold I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan

Ratings:
    +466
    How can the embarrass themselves when the Pro Bowl is a joke, anyways?

22. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    Yeah or the 70's TV sport challenging shows such as The Superstars or Battle of the Network All Stars.

23. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +838
    Let the lineman do a lifting/ physical challenge type competition of some sort before the game and then just make it the 7 on 7 it already is.

• Like Like x 1
  24. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    I was thinking the same thing. 7 on 7

25. GBPack2010

GBPack2010 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +67
    Cancel the game and/or awards. To me, only All-Pro team selection should matter as most of those chosen outright deserve it with debatable ones here and there.

• Like Like x 1