Aaron Rodgers MVP

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gute saw the impending "fiscal cliff" coming a few years ago, which is why he sacrificed possible WR, ILB or other 1st round talent to go get Love. IMHO, just because AR caught on to the plan & tried to change the plan doesn't mean Gute is actually changing the plan.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For my part, I would like to see Rodgers finish his career in Green Bay, even though it seems unlikely we get another Super Bowl out of it. It seems unlikely we get one without him too. Maybe it's nostalgic of me, but I'd like to see him stay with us as a nod to the days when great players stayed with one team. Just the way I feel about it, I can understand the guys who want to go ahead and rebuild too.

Now if Rodgers wants to leave, or we end up not being able to work that out, then I'm at peace with that too. But I'd prefer we find a way to keep him, and hopefully Adams too, somehow.
I too hope we find a way to keep him around. Yes, he's had his struggles in the postseason but we most likely don't make it there without him. Most teams with an elite QB try to keep them as long as they can. If you look around the league there aren't enough quality QBs to lead all 32 of these teams. Is Love ready? Are Gute and company comfortable going with him instead of 12? We will find out soon.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gute saw the impending "fiscal cliff" coming a few years ago, which is why he sacrificed possible WR, ILB or other 1st round talent to go get Love. IMHO, just because AR caught on to the plan & tried to change the plan doesn't mean Gute is actually changing the plan.
But do we really know what Gute's plan is? I suspect he saw an opportunity to get a promising QB prospect so he moved up 4 spots and took a chance. When you have a guy like Rodgers you can gamble here. TT got very lucky in 2005 in that so many teams either didn't need a QB or were leery of a Tedford QB so Rodgers dropped right into his lap.

Reaction score
It's impossible to know, once you start flipping over the dominoes in these alternate dimensions, the butterfly effect and all. Brady might not have even had a long career, who can say?

It's such an interesting question though. How would Rodgers have responded to being coached by Belichick, or Josh McDaniels? Maybe Rodgers gets fed up with Belichick long before Brady did and leaves for another team. Maybe Green Bay, where he wins three Super Bowls just to spite Belichick.
I know there’s many variables. But we’re hypothetically trading talent for talent and assuming neither get injured or quit their team etc..

I think Rodgers would have 5 Superbowls and Brady 2 SB’s had they been flip flopped on our 2 teams. I think Brady has an X factor that Rodgers does not have in key games. A turbo gear in playoff contests. Make no mistake, Rodgers would have at minimum 5 SB Rings playing on those Patriots teams.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
definitely not. and here's why: breet favre had one major opportunity that aaron rodgers did not have. after brett won his first super bowl, the hype was overwhelming that the combo of favre and holmgren and wolf were going to be the next dynasty of the nfl. and sure enough, brett got back to the super bowl the very next year. after brett lost the super bowl, wolf stated that his lone 1996 super bowl victory was a "fart in the wind," a one-and-done that frustrated him and the work he had put into building a team. i say "brett lost the super bowl" because most people seem to think that super bowl wins is a qb stat. rodgers has won 100% of the super bowls he has played in. favre won 50%.

honestly, brett was easily the most over rated packers qb, and i say that as one of his biggest fans. brett was also more of a diva than aaron. he insisted on having his own private locker room. didn't want to be in the same room with all of his teammates.
What if I told you brett didnt ask for that locker?

What if I told you Sherman wanted it so media wouldnt crowd out the other players?

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I too hope we find a way to keep him around. Yes, he's had his struggles in the postseason but we most likely don't make it there without him.
I'd rather keep him around a little too long than to turn the division over to the Bears and Vikings for the next 5-20 years.

TT got very lucky in 2005 in that so many teams either didn't need a QB or were leery of a Tedford QB so Rodgers dropped right into his lap.
Wow, I haven't heard that term "Tedford QB" in a long time. But yeah, that was a frequent criticism from those who didn't like the Rodgers move. Blast from the past.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather keep him around a little too long than to turn the division over to the Bears and Vikings for the next 5-20 years.
What do the Bears and Vikes have that make you fear them if the Pack loses AR?

5-20 years is a pretty all-inclusive range. I think we all figure it's going to be a step back when he leaves, but why can't drafting, trading, UFAs, coaching, et. al. compensate after a reasonable period?

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
5-20 years is a pretty all-inclusive range. I think we all figure it's going to be a step back when he leaves, but why can't drafting, trading, UFAs, coaching, et. al. compensate after a reasonable period?
I just remember the '70s and '80s. No need to think things will be that dire, but for the last 30 years we've had a built in advantage over the other teams, we've always had the better quarterback. Take that advantage away, and who knows what the outcome will be? Maybe it would even be better, although that seems unlikely.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That kind of response makes it pretty tough to argue. :) I think my point was or should have been more about the fact that we're going to be without that advantage in a couple of years anyhow, so the hand-wringing can start now, with potential help from a trade, or in a few years, with no help at all.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the main difference was the failure of the Packers to stop Terrell Davis. But yeah, mistakes never help.
That was Denver's strength so our defense was not going to shut them out. But we had an offense that could roll up points and it was a year when Favre did not turn it over like later years. And when we forced the Davis fumble early in the 3rd we had a short field and only got 3. Like the Packers just several weeks ago you can win or lose games in the 4th quarter because of what you did in the first two.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That kind of response makes it pretty tough to argue. :) I think my point was or should have been more about the fact that we're going to be without that advantage in a couple of years anyhow, so the hand-wringing can start now, with potential help from a trade, or in a few years, with no help at all.
The grim reality.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can certainly see the argument for that.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting take by Bob McGinn today or yesterday. Too bad there is a lot of truth there imho. Actually downgrading the amazing lack of interceptions.

Members online

Latest posts