Aaron Jones

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Aaron Jones finally had a (mostly) healthy season and I want to stop and appreciate the results.

236 rushes for 1084 rushing yards and 16 touchdowns (4.6 YPC).

49 receptions for 474 receiving yards and 3 touchdowns (9.7 YPR).

A total of 285 touches for 1558 yards from scrimmage (5.5 yds/touch).

Throw in some very respectable pass protection, and this was an outstanding season. That Yds from Scrimmage total was good for 7th in the league among running backs. And hidden in these stats is that Jones was a dangerous receiver down the field. He didn't merely rack up check down and screen yardage.

In today's game, there aren't that many guys that I think you take over Jones. McCaffrey, Elliott, and Barkley for sure. Then I think Jones is in a jumble of guys that you'd have to weigh and debate, including Cook, Mixon, Chubb, Kamara, Henry, Carson, and maybe Jacobs (I don't know what to make of Gurley right now).

I took some heat from Vikings fans for saying coming into this year that I think Jones is a better running back than Dalvin Cook. Here are Cook's totals to compare with those above:

250 rushes for 1135 rushing yards and 13 touchdowns (4.5 YPC).

53 receptions for 519 receiving yards and 0 touchdowns (9.8 YPR).

A total of 303 touches for 1654 yards from scrimmage (5.5 yds/touch).

The production is strikingly similar. When you consider that Jones' fumble rate was better (fumble once per 95 touches; Cook once per 75 touches), his pass protection was considerably better, and he was doing his receiving work down the field, I think my argument that he's the better player holds up.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I am thrilled with the fact that the Pack have a running game again... and yeah, this kid is something else.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take a look at the Packers expected points per play with Jones on the field versus off and Rodgers QBR when paired with Jones instead of not and its ******** breath taking the impact Jones has had this year

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am thrilled with the fact that the Pack have a running game again... and yeah, this kid is something else.

Yes, his vision is great and when he gets out in the open field you realize how fast he is! IMO he is the best we've had since Ahman Green.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take a look at the Packers expected points per play with Jones on the field versus off and Rodgers QBR when paired with Jones instead of not and its ******** breath taking the impact Jones has had this year

Too bad he wasn't named 2nd All Pro. :(

H

HardRightEdge

I'm trying to remember the last Packer who exceeded 1,558 yards from scrimmage. Nelson was close with 1,519 receiving yards in 2014. Nelson never took a hand-off in his entire career in Green Bay, no end-arounds or jet sweeps on his resume.

I'm having touble laying my hands on a list of Packer season leaders, but I think we have to go back to Ahman Green's 2,250 on 405 touches in 2003.

After 3 knee sprains over 3 season on relatively light touches, I was skeptical he could get through a full 16 games under a decent load. He proved that wrong. It wasn't the 350 or 400 touches a small few guys take each season (see McCaffrey, 403), but it was a decent load without incident and high production.

Jones and Z. would be my team MVPs this season pending the playoff outcome, or perferably outcomes plural.

I would have a quibble with Dante's pass protection assertion. "Some" very respectable pass protection might be right, but I'd say there were about as many bad instances as very respectable ones. If you want pass pro, Williams or keeping a tight end in would get better results. Given the constitution of the receiving corps, you want Jones out in a route anyway as often as you can manage it.

Where his game has noticeably improved is as a route runner. He's the clear #2 receiving threat in this offense.

All-in-all, a really nice season from arguably the offensive MVP pending playoff outcomes.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I really liked Ahman ... Except when he was wearing those damned rubber forearm bands that caused him to flip the ball around like he was allergic to it.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Jones finally had a (mostly) healthy season and I want to stop and appreciate the results.

236 rushes for 1084 rushing yards and 16 touchdowns (4.6 YPC).

49 receptions for 474 receiving yards and 3 touchdowns (9.7 YPR).

A total of 285 touches for 1558 yards from scrimmage (5.5 yds/touch).

Throw in some very respectable pass protection, and this was an outstanding season. That Yds from Scrimmage total was good for 7th in the league among running backs. And hidden in these stats is that Jones was a dangerous receiver down the field. He didn't merely rack up check down and screen yardage.

In today's game, there aren't that many guys that I think you take over Jones. McCaffrey, Elliott, and Barkley for sure. Then I think Jones is in a jumble of guys that you'd have to weigh and debate, including Cook, Mixon, Chubb, Kamara, Henry, Carson, and maybe Jacobs (I don't know what to make of Gurley right now).

I took some heat from Vikings fans for saying coming into this year that I think Jones is a better running back than Dalvin Cook. Here are Cook's totals to compare with those above:

250 rushes for 1135 rushing yards and 13 touchdowns (4.5 YPC).

53 receptions for 519 receiving yards and 0 touchdowns (9.8 YPR).

A total of 303 touches for 1654 yards from scrimmage (5.5 yds/touch).

The production is strikingly similar. When you consider that Jones' fumble rate was better (fumble once per 95 touches; Cook once per 75 touches), his pass protection was considerably better, and he was doing his receiving work down the field, I think my argument that he's the better player holds up.

I wonder if Mike McCarthy ever has second thoughts about how many touches he gave to Jones.....I remember how frustrating it was to watch Jones make a nice run, and then was immediately back on the bench so that Ty Montgomery could lose a yard on the next play.

ColoradoPacker51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We will soon find ourselves , just like many other teams, in a very interesting contract situation with jones. I would love to see him stick around on a good deal for both sides. He deserves some good money, but hopefully not ask for too much than we are willing to pay. Consider the 2017 draft class for RBs, many of these guys are due for paydays. (CMC, Kamara, Jones, Cook, Fournette, Mixon, Carson, Mack, & Ekeler who was undrafted). Im curious when they will start talking about an extension, and how much some of these other guys will all impact each other and their contracts.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones had a deadly year, I do think we need to sign him long term. My question though is are we set at RB? I'm not so sure. Jones isn't a big back and has had several injuries. I think he's the type of player you have to cuff with another solid player - maybe that's Jamaal but he kinda seems to be more of a journeyman. I guess if Jamaal comes cheap then sure. Let's see how the tandem does in the playoffs.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Jones had a deadly year, I do think we need to sign him long term. My question though is are we set at RB? I'm not so sure. Jones isn't a big back and has had several injuries. I think he's the type of player you have to cuff with another solid player - maybe that's Jamaal but he kinda seems to be more of a journeyman. I guess if Jamaal comes cheap then sure. Let's see how the tandem does in the playoffs.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Jones is a slippery fast back and has good hands he doesn’t have Derrick Henry strength but he’s is quite strong and durable, put another back in there with his skill set and you have a nice 1-2 punch, I like Jamaal a good power back but not Jones speed if he stays on field with AJ they are a nice duo together..

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

You definitely don't want to pay two backs 2nd contracts at the same time, so if they extend Jones (and they should), then they'll want to replace Williams with someone on a rookie deal.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You definitely don't want to pay two backs 2nd contracts at the same time, so if they extend Jones (and they should), then they'll want to replace Williams with someone on a rookie deal.

I wonder then if you try to move Jamaal this offseason. Potential trade bait. Get something for him now and draft his replacement.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I wonder then if you try to move Jamaal this offseason. Potential trade bait. Get something for him now and draft his replacement.

I don't know how much you're getting for a solid backup running back entering a contract year.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
We will soon find ourselves , just like many other teams, in a very interesting contract situation with jones. I would love to see him stick around on a good deal for both sides. He deserves some good money, but hopefully not ask for too much than we are willing to pay. Consider the 2017 draft class for RBs, many of these guys are due for paydays. (CMC, Kamara, Jones, Cook, Fournette, Mixon, Carson, Mack, & Ekeler who was undrafted). Im curious when they will start talking about an extension, and how much some of these other guys will all impact each other and their contracts.

I was talking about this very concept last night - the NFL doesn't seem to put the monetary value on RB's anymore, we've all seen it -- big name backs holding out for more money. I'm hoping this one doesn't end up like those situations because I'm trilled to see a real running game again.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Agreed, but there is some sound logic to getting anything for something over letting it walk.

I don't know about that. It would depend on the return. Jamaal Williams is a true backup in that he's a serviceable runner, receiver, and pass protector. If you flip him for a pick and then replace him with a rookie, you're taking a real risk that your backup situation is lousy in 2020.

If someone offered a 5th or 6th for him, I'd pass.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know about that. It would depend on the return. Jamaal Williams is a true backup in that he's a serviceable runner, receiver, and pass protector. If you flip him for a pick and then replace him with a rookie, you're taking a real risk that your backup situation is lousy in 2020.

If someone offered a 5th or 6th for him, I'd pass.
Agreed... I’d say the value we get from him is keeping him on the roster next year while they attempt to find his replacement.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would keep Jamal and AJ if money is correct. Reminds me of when we paired Najeh Davenport to spell Ahman Green and that was a fantastic combo

I also want to add how ironic it is to have a RB combo like this at the stage in Aaron Rodgers career when it was similar timing in Brett Favre career

Spencer Gray

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know it has been said multiples times already, but we HAVE to resign Jones. The offense is just so much better with him on the field. I love how he has been able to do anything and everything we've asked this year. He can get the short runs like keep us on schedule, he breaks of game changing runs, short passes, long passes, etc. It seems like he can do no wrong. I agree that I would like both backs to be resigned. It's always a nice change up when Jamal comes in and pounds the rock. He also allows us to keep Jones fresh during the games we focus on running the ball heavily. I love our backs and Jones is one of my favorite Packers over the past couple of years. I hope to see a whole lot more of him over the years.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
One nice thing about resigning Jones is that he won't have a ton of carries on his body. If his 2020 is similar to his 2019, he should have around 700 or fewer carries. That's not a ton of mileage.