Aaron Jones

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One nice thing about resigning Jones is that he won't have a ton of carries on his body. If his 2020 is similar to his 2019, he should have around 700 or fewer carries. That's not a ton of mileage.

Right.

Which makes keeping a good complimentary back so important bc the shelf life of HBs in the NFL is so short

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones will no doubt be resigned, a team letting a versatile but young back like him walk isn't happening. That said this next contract with us, should and most likely will be the last as most backs IMO just don't age well and demand too much that 3rd contract.

I hear you guys on Williams and keeping...I suspect IF we traded it would come post draft and maybe even pre-season move once staff may know or not know what we truly have if he walked behind Jones.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You definitely don't want to pay two backs 2nd contracts at the same time, so if they extend Jones (and they should), then they'll want to replace Williams with someone on a rookie deal.
williams is a good back. a nice complement to jones. i can't see the Packers letting him go. it's not like backup RB's are expensive or anything.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
williams is a good back. a nice complement to jones. i can't see the Packers letting him go. it's not like backup RB's are expensive or anything.

Probably depends on how he performs in his contract year. If he does well enough to make the league think he can handle a larger share of a backfield, then he's probably gone.

Reaction score
Probably depends on how he performs in his contract year. If he does well enough to make the league think he can handle a larger share of a backfield, then he's probably gone.
We’re about to see Jones in his 1st playoff game.
It’ll be interesting to see how AJ performs under pressure and in the cold. It’s not supposed to be above freezing Sunday.

I like the tandem of Jones n Williams, the earlier we resign/extend then the lower the cost. Doesn’t appear either RB being cost prohibitive at this point though. I’d like to see more of Jamaal on short yardage, he may not have the finesse AJ has, but he seems to possess some solid short range power.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Exactly...when you begin to look at what Williams has done on the snaps given, he is producing at a rate that many other teams might see as a potential piece with getting and providing a starting or at least more of a 50/50 split type situation with.

The one thing we have going for us in GB is both RBs love it here...Williams is a hilarious goofball and from what it seems is at home here in Green Bay. HOWEVER, when the agents start talking millions...love only gets you so far.

If we trade him this next off season, in season or he finishes out the year and signs elsewhere...I do know I have zero ill will against him and am gonna embrace the time we got the duo together currently!

Reaction score
You know. We slap TT around and he did make some goofball picks, but the AJ/JW picks a few years ago were absolutely spot on. What a great value there in the mid rounds. Nice job Ted

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hope jones doesn't get the playoff bug. seems like that is what happened to kamara yesterday in that lopsided game against minn. not sure what happened to breez and kamara.

Reaction score
Love Aaron Jones skill set. With that said, I’d like to see more of Vitale in these short yardage situations. He started fast and we’ve kind of taken him out of the rushing/receiving playbook.
He’s got an even toolset (run/pass/blocking) and cold weather games are ideal for that kinda thing.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm trying to remember the last Packer who exceeded 1,558 yards from scrimmage. Nelson was close with 1,519 receiving yards in 2014. Nelson never took a hand-off in his entire career in Green Bay, no end-arounds or jet sweeps on his resume.

I'm having touble laying my hands on a list of Packer season leaders, but I think we have to go back to Ahman Green's 2,250 on 405 touches in 2003.

Jones' season ranks 10th in team history based on yards from scrimmage. Lacy (1,566 yards in 2014) was the last one to have more than him.

I hear you guys on Williams and keeping...I suspect IF we traded it would come post draft and maybe even pre-season move once staff may know or not know what we truly have if he walked behind Jones.

Packers fans tend to overstate the trade value of players on the roster. I highly doubt another team would offer much to trade for Williams.

hope jones doesn't get the playoff bug. seems like that is what happened to kamara yesterday in that lopsided game against minn.

The game went into overtime, definitely not a lopsided one.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Jones finally had a (mostly) healthy season and I want to stop and appreciate the results.

236 rushes for 1084 rushing yards and 16 touchdowns (4.6 YPC).

49 receptions for 474 receiving yards and 3 touchdowns (9.7 YPR).

A total of 285 touches for 1558 yards from scrimmage (5.5 yds/touch).

Throw in some very respectable pass protection, and this was an outstanding season. That Yds from Scrimmage total was good for 7th in the league among running backs. And hidden in these stats is that Jones was a dangerous receiver down the field. He didn't merely rack up check down and screen yardage.

In today's game, there aren't that many guys that I think you take over Jones. McCaffrey, Elliott, and Barkley for sure. Then I think Jones is in a jumble of guys that you'd have to weigh and debate, including Cook, Mixon, Chubb, Kamara, Henry, Carson, and maybe Jacobs (I don't know what to make of Gurley right now).

I took some heat from Vikings fans for saying coming into this year that I think Jones is a better running back than Dalvin Cook. Here are Cook's totals to compare with those above:

250 rushes for 1135 rushing yards and 13 touchdowns (4.5 YPC).

53 receptions for 519 receiving yards and 0 touchdowns (9.8 YPR).

A total of 303 touches for 1654 yards from scrimmage (5.5 yds/touch).

The production is strikingly similar. When you consider that Jones' fumble rate was better (fumble once per 95 touches; Cook once per 75 touches), his pass protection was considerably better, and he was doing his receiving work down the field, I think my argument that he's the better player holds up.
Dalvin Cook’s injury history is at least as bad, and probably worse, than Jones. I’m pretty happy with our guy.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers fans tend to overstate the trade value of players on the roster. I highly doubt another team would offer much to trade for Williams.

Who said anything about thinking we'd get a ton? I would venture the highest we'd garner is a 5th without possibly performance influencing it up or down...

D

Deleted member 6794

Who said anything about thinking we'd get a ton? I would venture the highest we'd garner is a 5th without possibly performance influencing it up or down...

Well, in that case the Packers benefit from holding on to Williams instead of acquiring a fifth rounder or worse though.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, in that case the Packers benefit from holding on to Williams instead of acquiring a fifth rounder or worse though.

I'd have to look at his yards/carry and stats further as perhaps he'd garner a 4th...but I concede what you state is something the organization has to weigh: which holds more value: keeping him knowing you will receive nothing when he leaves vs getting what you can now knowing full well the organization will not be retaining him (ala Randall, Davis, Gilbert, Goodson and Montgomery most recently...)

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd have to look at his yards/carry and stats further as perhaps he'd garner a 4th...but I concede what you state is something the organization has to weigh: which holds more value: keeping him knowing you will receive nothing when he leaves vs getting what you can now knowing full well the organization will not be retaining him (ala Randall, Davis, Gilbert, Goodson and Montgomery most recently...)

I don't think he'll attract big money even in FA. Probability is he's sign an extension for a modest increase.

D

Deleted member 6794

but I concede what you state is something the organization has to weigh: which holds more value: keeping him knowing you will receive nothing when he leaves vs getting what you can now knowing full well the organization will not be retaining him (ala Randall, Davis, Gilbert, Goodson and Montgomery most recently...)

If another team signs Williams to a decent contract there's always the possibility of receiving a compensation pick for him.

That could be equal to what the Packers could get by trading him.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If another team signs Williams to a decent contract there's always the possibility of receiving a compensation pick for him.

That could be equal to what the Packers could get by trading him.

Again that is something that would need seriously considered by the organization on him for sure.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just heard an interesting stat on the radio. It said when Aaron Jones is on the field, the Packers offense is the third best in the league, according to some ESPN stat called EPA (Expected Points Added). But when Jamaal Williams is on the field, the offense drops into the bottom five.

The commentator (not sure who it was) said that Williams was expected to play this Sunday, and that his return might actually hurt the Packers if they split the load too much.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just heard an interesting stat on the radio. It said when Aaron Jones is on the field, the Packers offense is the third best in the league, according to some ESPN stat called EPA (Expected Points Added). But when Jamaal Williams is on the field, the offense drops into the bottom five.

The commentator (not sure who it was) said that Williams was expected to play this Sunday, and that his return might actually hurt the Packers if they split the load too much.

Subjectively it does seem like there are a lot of stalled drives with Williams.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a feeling but I would not mind if they started Williams in this one.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Subjectively it does seem like there are a lot of stalled drives with Williams.

Theres nothing subjective about it. Rodgers QBR is borderline elite with Jones on the field and down right abysmal when Jones is resting

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts