A-rod suggests keeping in 5 blockers, more options in pass game

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A-rod and MM on same page, I stand corrected

A-rod mad a suggestion to the media that they should only keep 5 blockers in for pass protection allowing the FBs, RBs, and TEs to go on short pass routs instead of staying in to block. This would give more passing options and someone to check down to.

I just heard MM say the same thing in his press conference today, they are on the same page.

Good to hear MM changing his game plan, this will help the O-line more than building a wall waiting for a 20 yard play to happen.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
A-rod mad a suggestion to the media that they should keep 5 blockers in for pass protection, so he could have more options to check down to. This concerns me coming from A-rod and brings up 2 questions.

1 - Why is A-rod bring this up through the media?

2 - Is this a sign MM is losing control of the team?
It's obvious to blind deaf mutes that our O-line played god awful last week. Rodgers is just stating the obvious. He needs more protection.

And no, MM isn't losing control because one player gave an honest answer once.

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's obvious to blind deaf mutes that our O-line played god awful last week. Rodgers is just stating the obvious. He needs more protection.

And no, MM isn't losing control because one player gave an honest answer once.

I think you miss understand what A-rod is saying. The past 2 games MM is keeping 7 or more players in to block, A-rod is disagreeing with that and wants to leave it up to the 5 lineman to block, allowing FBs, RBs, and TEs to go out on short pass routs. A-rod is putting more confidence in his lineman than what MM is. I find this interesting and don't know for sure what this means, but there appears to be a disagreement between A-rod and MM on how to handle the problem.

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A-rod mad a suggestion to the media that they should keep 5 blockers in for pass protection, so he could have more options to check down to. This concerns me coming from A-rod and brings up 2 questions.

1 - Why is A-rod bring this up through the media?

2 - Is this a sign MM is losing control of the team?

I wouldn't read much into it. I dont think he was trying to throw some people under the bus or anything just a suggestion. Pass protection will be better this week and you can write that down.

PackAttackUK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that it would be good to have a couple plays with the FB and TE going on short passing routes, as a get out clause, if you will.

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't read much into it. I dont think he was trying to throw some people under the bus or anything just a suggestion. Pass protection will be better this week and you can write that down.

I don't think anyone is throwing anyone under the bus, its just the first time I heard A-rod go on his own, without following the same talkng points of MM.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
I think he's hoping that if the FB RB and TE's go out on short pass routes, then he wont need protection as long. Quick 5 yards x 2 = first down. even Barber can stand in some1's way long enough for a quick slant.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I think you miss understand what A-rod is saying. The past 2 games MM is keeping 7 or more players in to block, A-rod is disagreeing with that and wants to leave it up to the 5 lineman to block, allowing FBs, RBs, and TEs to go out on short pass routs. A-rod is putting more confidence in his lineman than what MM is. I find this interesting and don't know for sure what this means, but there appears to be a disagreement between A-rod and MM on how to handle the problem.
I misread. My bad.

In that case, Aaron's entitled to his opinion. Problem is that his opinion is dead wrong.

AzPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he's hoping that if the FB RB and TE's go out on short pass routes, then he wont need protection as long. Quick 5 yards x 2 = first down. even Barber can stand in some1's way long enough for a quick slant.
I couldn't agree with you more. get rid of that ball on a short quick pass for 5 yards and then you won't have to face the 3rd and 15 (and be forced to make a long pass, which everybody and their brother knows is coming). Your OL also only has to protect for a few seconds instead of 20 seconds waiting for the route to develop. In fact I was screaming this at my TV all game long last week. I'm suprised it took 5 days for the sound to carry all the way up to GB from Arizona.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the problem is

a) ARod doesn't have a lot of freedom in calling audibles. Sometimes the play called on the huddle just doesn't match with what the defense gives you. And I haven't seen a lof of changed plays from Arod.

or

b) He just doens't know how to read defenses that well yet.

That could also help the run a lot. If the defense blitzes from the strong side, you shouldn't run to the strong side. I believe Grant's 07 sucess had a lot to do with two reasons:

1) (instead of a) Defenses didn't game plan for him, nor were prepared to what kind of back he was. Plus, they were too much worried in playing the pass with Favre.

2) Favre could read when the D was propense to the run and where should that running play go. Plus, he had plenty of freedom to change the play in the LOS.

I can't provide any evidence that what I stated actually happened, so my points may very well be null. But that's what I've formulated from watching games and game tapes...

Members online

Latest posts