A possible sleeper at TE in the draft

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Baylor Basketball player Rico Gathers, who is 6'8 270 pounds is going to try out for the NFL. He is a big hulk of a man who is fast too. He played Football before, but its been since High School.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-ba...o-gathers-baylor-bears-basketball-game-020116

Buffalo is already checking him out apparently.

This wont be unprecedented as far as a Hoops player coming into the NFL as a TE.

Guess we'll see how this goes..............

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Put 45 more lbs on him and I know someone who will want him for his starting front 7! :sneaky:

These are always the project players that intrigue me. His last time on a football field in an "organized" game was Junior high. Probably has the body and hands to be a football players, but how long will it take to teach him blocking, route running, separation, etc?

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did Tony Gonzales or Antonio Gates play College Football? I don't recall..................

One thing is for sure, Gathers body will be fresh.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Didn't Packers have some kid from Small School State a few seasons back try this? Never got off the practice squad IIRC.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gates was basketball and so was jimmy graham and I think gonzalez played basketball a few years but was always a football player. The pack had some guy from one of the dakotas schools i think. I just want someone who can run and catch the ball and then continue running.....not the garbage they drafted last year.

D

Deleted member 6794

Did Tony Gonzales or Antonio Gates play College Football? I don't recall..................

One thing is for sure, Gathers body will be fresh.

Gonzalez played three season at Cal but Gates never played college football.

Gathers could be an intriguing prospect, not sure which round he would come off the board though, so it's tough to guess if he would be worth the gamble.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gonzalez played three season at Cal but Gates never played college football.

Gathers could be an intriguing prospect, not sure which round he would come off the board though, so it's tough to guess if he would be worth the gamble.
Having not blocked, caught a pass or been hit since he was 13 years old I'm guessing UDFA. As big of a project as there ever was...

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
He should check his eligibility for another year and play football in college. Maybe a good D2 or 3 school to get the basics and playing time.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
D

Deleted member 6794

Think it might be a trend if it works out. 6'3" LB ain't covering a 6'9" TE no matter how slow he runs. Anyone remember Harold Carmichael?
6'8" 225# WR.

Jimmie Graham went that route as well and it worked out perfectly for him. While there are examples like him I'm not sure there are a lot of guys capable of pulling that off.

D

Deleted member 6794

Higbee lol I will keep saying it

The more I read about Higbee the more I would like the Packers to spend a mid-round pick on him. Having played at Western Kentucky it would probably take him some time to adjust to the NFL but he could turn out to be a nice receiving threat.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The more I read about Higbee the more I would like the Packers to spend a mid-round pick on him. Having played at Western Kentucky it would probably take him some time to adjust to the NFL but he could turn out to be a nice receiving threat.
So he's not immediate help at the position either.

D

Deleted member 6794

So he's not immediate help at the position either.

Most likely there isn't a single tight end in this year's draft capable of providing an immediate impact. That's why the position should have been addressed in free agency.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Tyler Higbee was arrested yesterday and charged with assault, fleeing/evading police and alcohol intoxication. This might hurt his draft status and maybe have him drop to a position the Packers feel comfortable selecting him.

http://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/w...cle_e05bfbfc-ff43-11e5-b0ba-57024587fa2c.html
How is it these guys are preparing for the biggest summer of their life and yet they can't toe the line? They really gotta learn to follow a 50's era teenage girl routine. Home by dark and never leave without a mature chaperone.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
How is it these guys are preparing for the biggest summer of their life and yet they can't toe the line? They really gotta learn to follow a 50's era teenage girl routine. Home by dark and never leave without a mature chaperone.

Statistically, these guys are probably not that much different then the average Joe out of college, but because of their notoriety we hear about them. While I agree that one shakes their head when they read these stories, but substitute Higbee's name with Joe Smith and "The NFL Draft" with "interviews with IBM, Google, Dennys, Foot Locker, etc."

H

HardRightEdge

Tyler Higbee was arrested yesterday and charged with assault, fleeing/evading police and alcohol intoxication. This might hurt his draft status and maybe have him drop to a position the Packers feel comfortable selecting him.

http://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/w...cle_e05bfbfc-ff43-11e5-b0ba-57024587fa2c.html
No problem for me. The Packers already did their asset allocation to TE position. I'm looking for a UDFA with some blocking ability as the 7th. OL for short yardage and who could make a special teams contribution...somebody to compete with Perillo, Bachman and Henry for the #3 spot.

H

HardRightEdge

It's explainable but not fully understandable.

Members online

Latest posts