A possible sleeper at TE in the draft

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
it was rhetorical, so why are we talking about rather common situation of 18 year olds changing physically over a period of 5 years at time when bodies naturally do with or without a college weight program like it transfers to a more mature, graduated 20 something year old conditioned athlete going from his 220 college days and just putting on 25lbs of decent weight in an offseason by lifting weights?

Point taken. I posted the JJ Watt Freshman video mainly out of awe and to show that a 6'6" lean frame can be built on quite a bit. Yes, it is seen more commonly in College 18-22 year old players for various reasons, but it doesn't mean someone 22 and older can't do the same thing. Would we need McEvoy to look like JJ Watt in 4 years? Not at TE.....but hey, I wouldn't put it past Tanner to play DE either LOL

As PkJones pointed out, McEvoy has conditioned successfully for the positions he was asked to play, doesn't seem like much of a stretch for him to do the same thing to become a TE.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My point is that up until 4 months ago McEvoy was lifting & eating as a wildcat QB/WR/S. With more mass-related lifting and an increase in calories he very easily could add 10-20 lbs. in the next 6-9 months. Jared Cook is the Packer's starting TE for the next season (or co-starter). McEvoy would NOT be needed on the field for another 15 months... why is adding muscle/weight so hard to understand?

Many of the NFL linemen are eating 8-10,000 calories per day trying to keep their weight UP, which is why when their playing days are over many continue to gain weight. Many stopped continuously eating when they retired and are nowhere near their playing weights. I included this link to show that getting big isn't "natural", it takes extraordinary measures... which McEvoy "could" do if asked.

http://www.businessinsider.com/10-f...ton-of-weight-after-they-retired-2013-10?op=1

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh god, please tell me all about adding muscle LOL You know why all these guys lose so much weight when their playing days are over? They stop taking PEDS. Linemen better be eating more than 8K a day, I did that in college, more than that actually and topped out at about 180. could squat well over 500 and 15 reps of 225. You know how much I weigh 20 years later? 190, a little fatter, A little weaker, but nothing drastic. I trained right along side guys that made it to the pros. Nobody notable, well one for the Chiefs, was there leading tackler for a while even. The others, when their playing days were done, 190 to 145 in less than a year after playing DB in the NFL.

and at 6'6" I'd expect him to easily weight 250+ with the strength and muscle to play a legitimate TE in the NFL. If he was 6'3" maybe 235 would be enough. I know he could add 20lbs, that's not really hard. He's not adding 20lbs of good weight in an offseason, unless he has some drugs. or he's 18 and hits a growth spurt.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh god, please tell me all about adding muscle LOL You know why all these guys lose so much weight when their playing days are over? They stop taking PEDS. Linemen better be eating more than 8K a day, I did that in college, more than that actually and topped out at about 180. could squat well over 500 and 15 reps of 225. You know how much I weigh 20 years later? 190, a little fatter, A little weaker, but nothing drastic. I trained right along side guys that made it to the pros. Nobody notable, well one for the Chiefs, was there leading tackler for a while even. The others, when their playing days were done, 190 to 145 in less than a year after playing DB in the NFL.

and at 6'6" I'd expect him to easily weight 250+ with the strength and muscle to play a legitimate TE in the NFL. If he was 6'3" maybe 235 would be enough. I know he could add 20lbs, that's not really hard. He's not adding 20lbs of good weight in an offseason, unless he has some drugs. or he's 18 and hits a growth spurt.
I was scolded by poppa san for not catching a post 12 back from a response... you're not even reading and entire post of mine before arguing! "McEvoy would NOT be needed on the field for another 15 months... why is adding muscle/weight so hard to understand?" from post #52!! I get enough of this parsing of words crap from my significant other... don't need it from you. I've stated my case & I'm done.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
adding muscle is not hard to understand, I could teach a class on it. Neither is adding weight. Adding it to a 6'6" , 20 something frame of an already conditioned athlete in such a way he's going to be able to block 250+lb linebackers and near 270+ DE's is another matter.

JJ watt was 220 as a freshman in college. MCeVoy was a 22something lb senior in college. He was a running QB, he didn't train like Aaron Rodgers and he switched to safety.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sleeper at TE is Thomas Duarte. Similar build and athleticism as Jordan Reed. Duarte will need to improve his blocking.

D

Deleted member 6794

Sleeper at TE is Thomas Duarte. Similar build and athleticism as Jordan Reed. Duarte will need to improve his blocking.

Duarte is most likely the best route runner of all tight ends in this year´s draft. He will struggle mightily blocking though as he doesn´t have the preferred size and hasn´t been used as a traditional tight end at all lining up in the slot on more than 94% of his snaps. In addition his hands are inconsistent as well.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duarte is most likely the best route runner of all tight ends in this year´s draft. He will struggle mightily blocking though as he doesn´t have the preferred size and hasn´t been used as a traditional tight end at all lining up in the slot on more than 94% of his snaps. In addition his hands are inconsistent as well.
I'd disagree about his hands. but anyways hes MY sleeper TE for this draft.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duarte had the 12th highest drop rate out of 19 draft eligible tight ends last season. His hands are a question mark.
12 lowest out of 19 ain't bad. Compared to Austin Cooper, who had 10 Drops out of 84 contested catches.

Members online

Latest posts